Civil Service Exams

Just wondering here. Are all of the previous posters currently working in the civil service or was this an open competition?

It was an open competition, open to non civil servants as well as current civil servants. Several thousand people took part in round 1.

Just wondering here. Are all of the previous posters currently working in the civil service or was this an open competition?

It is an open competition. But for some of the job types ,(Admin Officer, Admin Officer IT etc), a certain proportion of vacancies will be filled by civil servants who will also have done well in the exam.

Every fourth appointment is supposed to be a civil servant.

Just got details of Stage Two of the Third Sec competition there, 5th July in Abbey Street for the group and written exercise.

Good luck to everyone who got to stage two, am on July 3rd myself, for any of those who do eventually get selected, make an effort to get elements of the selection process changed!

I'd start by completely changing round 2. I'm glad I got this far again, hope the experience of last time (2 years ago) will stand to me but I'm dreading it!

Sedran - you could be in my group!

absolutely, as someone previously posted, the way the group is set up, it does not acurately reflect how it would happen on an offical basis. If i am in your group you will recongnise me as the one going red in the face everytime i try to say something. Best of luck with it though!

This is my first time doing this, how hard is it to get past round two? has anyone here sucessfully done it? what can you do to make yourself a sure hit, anything?

If anyone says don't go red in the face everytime i speak, i'll...

I think they took about 30 to interview from the 195 that made round 2 last time. I didn't make it out of Round 2, didn't expect to after my experience in the group.

Is there a chance to meet the people before the excercise to get to know them a little bit? that could possibly improve the group dynamics. or are you just thrown into it?

I had a bad/stressy dream about this last night. I'm really not the best in these situations....

They have several groups running at the same time but when you get there they send you to a certain meeting point and your group will assemble there. Not really ideal for chatting. Our group went to the pub after for a few drinks but a bit late then ;)

If you know people in the early group they might tip you off on the document summary subject. I was so p'd off last time as people had heard from their friends what the subject was and had read up on it. Needless to say, I'm telling nobody :p

fine then...:p . i was thinking of getting a mate to storm into the room where my group is brandishing a knife and shouting and then i will stand up and calm him down and send him off and be a hero.

I'd have to get through then.

And i wouldn't have to participate in a silly group exercise.

Pure Genuis:D

fine then...:p . i was thinking of getting a mate to storm into the room where my group is brandishing a knife and shouting and then i will stand up and calm him down and send him off and be a hero.

I'd have to get through then.

And i wouldn't have to participate in a silly group exercise.

Pure Genuis:D
While I like your lateral thinking, I've a nasty suspicion it wouldn't work (though I could do with having such, er, resourceful colleagues, from time to time!).

I once met my interview board by holding the fire escape door open for them, the alarm having gone off as I waited. Notwithstanding this and the pleasant chit-chat in the evacuation area, the sods didn't promote me... :( (that time - a few horses heads later, relevant bods got the right idea :p).

Thats is an even better idea, set off the fire alarms and hold the fire escape door open, simple yet beautiful... good idea, getting nervous about the whole thing now, hopefully that will get the adrenaline working for when i need it in the group excercise

You'll be fine Sedran, once you're in there it all kicks in!

I'm very calm because I was gutted last time and this time I'm not investing as much emotional effort. Am hoping this will help me do better as I'm not stressed about it at all.

Hope you managed to get through today Sedran - good luck to all the others yet to do round 2 for Junior Diplomat. My lips are sealed on the exercises but they are again very similar to last time.

Round 3 starts the week of Monday July 23rd so we should know how we did fairly shortly. They weren't giving dates for results though but I would imagine you'd get a week's notice?

Likewise shesells, hope you aced it, wasn't as scary as i thought it might be but still no breeze, the group thing was tricky. Good that will find out soon about stage three one way or the other, would be nice to get feedback, do they def give feedback for it??

I'd agree that it wasn't as scary as i thought, but it was very strange. I was expecting a larger group. There were only five of us.

The AO invites should come soon enough. Might be seperate interviews if you are on a few panels.:eek:

Back