Christening Present?

Suse

Hi,
Just wondering on your thoughts on this............ My boyfriend's (of five years) sister has had a baby recently. We really spoiled him when he was born with lots of little presents. Loads of cuddly toys and clothes.

He is the first niece/nephew for either of us and we are no wondering if we are to buy a christening present. Neither of us are Godparents to this baby, but we have been invited to the christening which involves the baptismal and a meal afterwards in a hotel for about 40 people all of whom are close family and friends.

We have no problem buying another gift but neither of us now the protocol on this!!!

thanks in advance,

Christening presents tend to be more long-lasting than standard ones; our favourites at the moment are decent pen sets, stainless steel cutlery sets, or watches. Some things are for 'soon' use and some for later. If you pick on something that will be useful in later life, you can keep the same idea for the rest of the nieces and nephews! (You don't need to push the boat out, 30-40 euro will get you something a bit classy!).

thanks guys, thats a great help & I particularly like the prize bonds idea ;) thanks again !

I think the whole idea of buying christening presents is a bit over the top if you have already bought presents for the child already.

I was in this position a few months ago. We bought a number of presents at the time of the birth and hence did not get anything for the christening.

I think this is another problem with the celtic tiger. People start buying presents for events and then everyone feels obliged to do it.

When my daughter was christened, a friend gave her a gift of a sapling tree, so that it could grow with her. I thought it was a lovely idea, and its a gift that won't break the bank.

I know what you mean about the celtic tiger etc. I am not materialistic and I hate all the expense people go to now for trival things like childrens birthdays or communions.

I just wasn't sure about christening and with it been close family. I love the idea of a tree or even the prize bonds. I certainly won't be breaking the bank on this one as we spent loads on the child when he was born.

Did I misread the reply that said
'decent pen sets, stainless steel cutlery sets, or watches'??????

For a christening? Surely gifts at a christening are for babies?

Further re the prize bonds - the ones my brother in law got for my children were for relatively small amounts (I think he got one for £10 for the oldest - he was a student at the time) and by the time the youngest came along he shelled out €40. The older children are really impressed with the notion of having prize bonds and every now and then they ask me to get them out to inspect them. It also started a good habit as they have since picked up prize bonds at various birthdays and communions. They still haven't won anything yet though. I was hoping to retire on their winnings!

Newbridge Silver does a range of small photo frames (teddy-bear shaped and the like). They're not expensive and look really nice.

The Irish Woodland Trust have a lovely scheme To sponsor a tree in Ireland will cost €30. In return, you will receive a certificate which will be dedicated in the name of the sponsor and which will contain details of the woodland in which your tree is planted.

You may, of course, dedicate a tree to anyone you choose, and the certificate will be completed in their name

Full details from [broken link removed]

I like to get one of those beautifully illustrated children's story books. Around the €20 - €25 mark. Peter Rabbit or old Irish Tales, that kind of thing.

Don't know if your friends are into the GAA but if they are check out Gagababy.ie. It's been set up by a friend of mine and supplies babygros, hats, shoes in various County colours-you can also get a personalised little hurley with the baby's name- pretty cool present I think.

There are personalised books you can get that tell a story and the childs name is in the story.

A friend got one for my sister and it was presented in a box. Something the baby will always have.

How about a scapular, a relic (preferably one involving a piece of bone or skin of your favourite saint), or a model of a tortured man nailed to a piece of wood? Any of these would surely go down a treat with newcomers to the faith.

How about a scapular, a relic (preferably one involving a piece of bone or skin of your favourite saint), or a model of a tortured man nailed to a piece of wood? Any of these would surely go down a treat with newcomers to the faith.

:confused: Wow... intelligent input...

Back