Chartered Accountants & CPA Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you seriously believe that you should be allowed continuing membership of any organisation while refusing to pay the membership sub?
No but i do expect to be able to keep my hard eaned CA designation. I dont care much about being a 'member' of icai. Makes no odds to me.

Hi Arthur

If you are no longer a member, I don't think you can use the designatory letters ACA or FCA

Brendan Burgess XFCA

CPA Ireland and CAI are just accountancy institutes.. Some of the comments made on this thread reminded me of the reform club in around the world in 80 days.

I hope CPA Ireland will bring their ethos and high standards over to the CAI

I’m not a member of either organisation but have some understanding of both.

One thing that will be welcomed by CPAs in all this is that they will now be governed by the CAI CPD requirements. As the CAI requirements are far less onerous than those of CPA they will be delighted with the lower bar.

No but i do expect to be able to keep my hard eaned CA designation. I dont care much about being a 'member' of icai. Makes no odds to me.
For QFAs, they get a diploma in financial advice which allows them to use the QFA designation as long as they pay their dues and complete CPD. If they don't, they still have their diploma.

For ACA, the certificate you get at conferring is just a membership certificate. That membership ends when you stop paying. Seems bad that you get less for passing a lot of difficult exams than for 5 multiple choice papers and a case study.

I’m not a member of either organisation but have some understanding of both.

One thing that will be welcomed by CPAs in all this is that they will now be governed by the CAI CPD requirements. As the CAI requirements are far less onerous than those of CPA they will be delighted with the lower bar.
im not convinced that they are to be honest.

For QFAs, they get a diploma in financial advice which allows them to use the QFA designation as long as they pay their dues and complete CPD. If they don't, they still have their diploma.

For ACA, the certificate you get at conferring is just a membership certificate. That membership ends when you stop paying. Seems bad that you get less for passing a lot of difficult exams than for 5 multiple choice papers and a case study.
Just wondering if one can go to a store and have it duplicated and then you can return the original LOL That will show proof that you were a member and is no longer one!

Being a member of CAI entitles you to use the designation CA.

Once you cease to be a club member you forfeit the right to claim you are a member.

I saw the post below on Linkedin.

CAI members who voted in favour of the amalgamation was by a small majority and significant minority against.

------------------------
This was posted by paul lynch fca
I’m not sure what to make of all this. Maybe my thinking is ‘glass half empty’ but the fact is that the vast majority of CAs, by a ratio of more than 2:1, effectively abstained on this matter. Of those that voted really quite a small majority were in favour with a significant minority against. It might be worth some of Council’s time as they move forward considering and maybe looking into the fact that their unanimity on the issue wasn’t reflected in the views of members.

Yes i understand that if i stop paying then i stop being a member and consequently stop being allowed to claim my hard eanred qualification. I get it. It still frustrates me a bit though especially as the fees are so extortionate and the Institue so wasteful with resources. Thats my point.

I saw the post below on Linkedin.

CAI members who voted in favour of the amalgamation was by a small majority and significant minority against.

------------------------
This was posted by paul lynch fca
I’m not sure what to make of all this. Maybe my thinking is ‘glass half empty’ but the fact is that the vast majority of CAs, by a ratio of more than 2:1, effectively abstained on this matter. Of those that voted really quite a small majority were in favour with a significant minority against. It might be worth some of Council’s time as they move forward considering and maybe looking into the fact that their unanimity on the issue wasn’t reflected in the views of members.

Let's not get lost in semantics. That argument cuts both ways. You could just as easily state, "Of those who voted, a notably small minority were against, with a significant majority in favour." Perspective is key, there was always going to be an reactionary No vote from a certain demographic of members.

A funny observation in all of this is that the parallels between the No voters on here and Brexiteers are strikingly similar only in this case the vote went the other way. Both groups drenched in nostalgia for a dominion that never quite was. Their dialogue is reminiscent of "Rule Britannia" sentiments, mourning the fall of an empire that supposedly ruled unchallenged. Let's not forget the personal insults and other crass comments about CPA members. It's curious to observe that their primary complaints are rooted in a time when they were the active custodians, the ones steering the ship. Now, in their twilight years, they seem to yearn for a past that's more myth than reality, a past they either never truly shaped in the way they recall, or if they did, one where their governance seeded the supposed decline they now bemoan.

In my view, it's time for the No voters to graciously step aside. The new generation is poised and ready to tackle the supposed mess left in their wake, eager to chart a course towards rejuvenation.

"Vox Populi, Vox Dei"

A funny observation in all of this is that the parallels between the No voters on here and Brexiteers are strikingly similar only in this case the vote went the other way. Both groups drenched in nostalgia for a dominion that never quite was. Their dialogue is reminiscent of "Rule Britannia" sentiments, mourning the fall of an empire that supposedly ruled unchallenged. Let's not forget the personal insults and other crass comments about CPA members. It's curious to observe that their primary complaints are rooted in a time when they were the active custodians, the ones steering the ship. Now, in their twilight years, they seem to yearn for a past that's more myth than reality, a past they either never truly shaped in the way they recall, or if they did, one where their governance seeded the supposed decline they now bemoan.
What insulting rubbish.

It's just as easy to make the counterargument that the merger is like Brexit in that it's something of a leap in the dark and that nobody is exactly sure how it will be done and how it all will turn out.

In the real world, just as with Brexit, those of us without axes to grind will continue to battle on without worrying about things outside our responsibility and control.

What insulting rubbish.

It's just as easy to make the counterargument that the merger is like Brexit in that it's something of a leap in the dark and that nobody is exactly sure how it will be done and how it all will turn out.

In the real world, just as with Brexit, those of us without axes to grind will continue to battle on without worrying about things outside our responsibility and control.
its unlikely the CPA shills will post in the forum for much longer, their work is done. Its clear this wasnt a vote in the first place, the CA obviously had it sewn up with the firms before the vote as not one CA i know voted yes.

What insulting rubbish.

I'm a no voter who was admitted to membership in 2021. Another hike on that hypothesis

its unlikely the CPA shills will post in the forum for much longer, their work is done. Its clear this wasnt a vote in the first place, the CA obviously had it sewn up with the firms before the vote as not one CA i know voted yes.
I don't think they're CPA shills, more likely CAI shills.

There is lots of noise within this thread. The jaundiced view that many people have about the CPA qualification stems from the fact that CAI don’t recognise it academically. There’s a sense that people who aren’t at the standard required to be a chartered accountant are being snuck in the back door to bail out CAI.

What insulting rubbish.

My comment was specifically directed at those individuals who made much insulting and crass remarks like "Johnny Rotten," referring to CPA members as "Car Park Attendants," and "Backstreet Abortionists," or talking about "sneaking in the back door" and boasting about a superior brand. It's hard to overlook the similarities these attitudes share with the rhetoric around Brexit.

From a broader perspective, I see this more as an acquisition than anything else. We're talking about potentially adding 5,000-6,000 new membership subscriptions to our revenue, reducing competition for student recruitment, and incorporating what appears to be a healthy balance sheet from CPA. At a high level, the merger appears to makes business sense.

My comment was specifically directed at those individuals who made much insulting and crass remarks like "Johnny Rotten," referring to CPA members as "Car Park Attendants," and "Backstreet Abortionists," or talking about "sneaking in the back door" and boasting about a superior brand. It's hard to overlook the similarities these attitudes share with the rhetoric around Brexit.

From a broader perspective, I see this more as an acquisition than anything else. We're talking about potentially adding 5,000-6,000 new membership subscriptions to our revenue, reducing competition for student recruitment, and incorporating what appears to be a healthy balance sheet from CPA. At a high level, the merger appears to makes business sense.
There is a Posting Guideline here on what's termed Member Conflict. You should check it out.

There is literally no connection between the comments to which you refer and Brexit, except perhaps in your imagination

My own thoughts on those comments are visible on this thread if you wish to scroll back to check.

In Ireland, one can still join ICAEW, ICAS, ACCA, and CIFPA, so claiming that competition is eliminated is not accurate.

Regarding the superior brand, in the Commonwealth countries, the top 5 or 6 accounting bodies listed as being recognized would include CAI, and most members of CAI can join without further work needed.

I will concede on the point of acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back