Car Insurance quote up 20%

Perhaps you had full no claims protection on your policy?
That still wouldn't explain it. No claims protection simply means the %discount is protected in the event of a claim. However the premium on which the discount is applied will usually rise significantly after a claim resulting in a higher renewal price.

That still wouldn't explain it. No claims protection simply means the %discount is protected in the event of a claim. However the premium on which the discount is applied will usually rise significantly after a claim resulting in a higher renewal price.
Several insurers offer a protected no claims discount as an optional extra, eg,

Protected No Claims Bonus is an optional extra that you can take out with your car insurance cover that allows you to make a specific number of claims per year without your No Claims Bonus being affected.

For example, if you have Protected No Claims Bonus with Allianz, you can have one unlimited third party or accidental damage claim in any three year renewal period without your NCB being affected. Additionally, claims made in the case of fire, theft or windscreen damage will also not impact your bonus.

Several insurers offer a protected no claims discount as an optional extra, eg,

Protected No Claims Bonus is an optional extra that you can take out with your car insurance cover that allows you to make a specific number of claims per year without your No Claims Bonus being affected.

For example, if you have Protected No Claims Bonus with Allianz, you can have one unlimited third party or accidental damage claim in any three year renewal period without your NCB being affected. Additionally, claims made in the case of fire, theft or windscreen damage will also not impact your bonus.
That's what I'm referring to. What is being protected is the bonus (i.e. % discount). The premium on which the NCD is applied is not ring fenced and when it comes around to renewal time it will include a levy for the claim. e.g. your current insurance could be €1000 less NCD of 50% less other discounts (say no penalty points, online purchse etc.) so working out at say €420. When it comes around to renewal (after a claim) your NCD of 50% is protected but the renewal cost could be significantly more than €1000 to start with due to the claim.

Perhaps you had full no claims protection on your policy?
I did, but oddly enough, having no claims and claim protection policies in place does not actually mean they don't load on your policy if you make a claim. It sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it's the reality. In fact, it makes so little sense that even though it was explained to me at the time I made the claim, I can't explain it now. However, if you look into it for yourself or ask your insurance company, they'll (try) to explain it to you.

Basically tough, the lady on the phone told me that even with the no claims and claims protection policy in place, they will still load your insurance when it comes to renewal time.

Edited to Say: I didn't see the responses from Ceist Beag when I made my reply, he has explained it better than I could.

We, my wife and I have a car each and we have our house insured with the same company for the last ten years approx. There is always a little increase in the premium but when I ring the company always manage to get it for the same or close enough as the previous year. We have free travel insurance because of having the two cars and house insured with them. I will stay with them until it suits me not to .
We're the same, don't even bother shopping around anymore simply because Mrs C gets hers at the minimum premium and I'm about a tenner above her and it's been like that since 2016

We're the same, don't even bother shopping around anymore simply because Mrs C gets hers at the minimum premium and I'm about a tenner above her and it's been like that since 2016
Do the same but generally do a new quote online first as a new customer and add any option I can while remaining at the minimum premium (reduced excess, personal insurance...).

They seem to do motorway to motorway toll tags and expat motor insurance. Am I missing something?

Yes, you must be, as they also offer motor insurance, and travel insurance.

That's what I'm referring to. What is being protected is the bonus (i.e. % discount). The premium on which the NCD is applied is not ring fenced and when it comes around to renewal time it will include a levy for the claim. e.g. your current insurance could be €1000 less NCD of 50% less other discounts (say no penalty points, online purchse etc.) so working out at say €420. When it comes around to renewal (after a claim) your NCD of 50% is protected but the renewal cost could be significantly more than €1000 to start with due to the claim.
Yep, that happened my wife a few years ago after a minor tip. Base premium increased and loading added the following year.

Back