Can food not purchased in cinema be taken from a child?

It sounds quite reasonable to me, especially the part where the items were returned to the children. Surely that's better than not allowing them into the cinema? Cinemas make very little from movies and rely on the food to make their profits. (it's the studio/distributor who take the lions share)

I think often that kids can be an easy target and wouold hand in the good wheras they might think twice before requesting an adult hand over their goods.
I often bring my own food into the conemas to reduce the costs but would carry them in my handbag so would not be seen.

Seems you must smuggle in your grub in a backpack and eat it in the dark, sounds like great fun! For large enterprises who I believe do all right anyway I'm okay with all this munching on the premises. I really don't think my kids would give over their goodies. I fear an awful scene would ensue. However, small coffee shop etc. thats just not the way to behave now is it.

HI CLUBMAN,
ignorance is not a form of defence,and i think we do know the rules,and is it not also ethical to behave as one should,people will always bend the rules or down right break them,but lets not go down the road of saying its ok.heres a person running a buisness,this is what he does this is what he provides,you as a customer have a choice,but to enter ones premises and behave inapropiatly,is not right,but to then complain about it as a consumer is down right cheekey.cheers yob

HI CLUBMAN,
ignorance is not a form of defence,and i think we do know the rules,and is it not also ethical to behave as one should,people will always bend the rules or down right break them,but lets not go down the road of saying its ok.heres a person running a buisness,this is what he does this is what he provides,you as a customer have a choice,but to enter ones premises and behave inapropiatly,is not right,but to then complain about it as a consumer is down right cheekey.cheers yob
Huh!?!? Why are you addressing this point to me specifically? :confused:

Isn't part of the issue here that the rules are not that clear in all cases?

nothing personal clubman,just replying to your quote above,and saying just because its not written in stone doesn't make it ok,no affence intended,yob

A few years back, whilst in college, I worked part-time in a well-known busy city centre cinema & we had similar notices up regarding the consumption of food not bought on the premises.
However, this was simply as an encouragement to buy food on premises, or perhaps make people feel uncomfortable about bringing their own.
It was certainly something that was never enforced - especially where children are concerned.

I'm OK with the studios making the lion's share, it's a risky business when a studio can run up production costs of €100m before they even realise a penny in revenue. They generally take anything up to 70% of the profits from the first week with a decreasing percentage for each week after that, leaving a decent margin for the cinema owner if managed properly.

I can see why they would want to force customers into buying their own popcorn/drink but I was wondering if they have a legal right to take the non-cinema food/drink from paying customers (even if it is returned later).

This is different from a restaurant and coffe shop scenario discussed earlier as food and coffee are the primary reasons for goint to a restaurant and coffee shop respectively. It's a little bit pointless going to a restaurant not to eat but you can certainly go see a film without eating or drinking.

My local cinema does not stop people but I was wondering about my rights if it did happen; I just saw a woman bringing a bunch of kids in and she was carrying a large shopping bag filled to the brim with sweets and drinks....no issues with the usher.
Cinemas make very little from movies and rely on the food to make their profits. (it's the studio/distributor who take the lions share)

nothing personal clubman,just replying to your quote above,and saying just because its not written in stone doesn't make it ok,no affence intended,yob

So are you saying that if it doesn't say it then it should be assumed to not be allowed? Ridiculous.

So could we have Ryanair confiscating the sandwiches & boiled sweets?

Dublin Zoo lifting the picnic basket from the car boot?

Irish Ferries holding you up at customs to examine the coffee flask?

Any cinema that attempted to stop me bringing in me sweeties would get very short shrift I have to tell you....

So are you saying that if it doesn't say it then it should be assumed to not be allowed? Ridiculous.
I've never seen a sign in a restaurant,stating,"you cant bring your own wine",does that then mean its ok.
so are you saying that if it doesn't say it then it should be assumed,TO BE ALLOWED,even more rediculous,one should behave appropriatly and with due respect.
i wonder when you go for a drink do you have one of these naggins in your pocket,for a little top up,or just the fact you think it ok,because thers no sign to the contrary.

Any comparison to a restaurant/coffee shop/pub is invalid - supplying alcohol or food is their core business. This is not the case for a cinema.

I go to the cinema to see a film, not for it's poor selection of over priced unhealthy food. The food is an optional extra.

Take the examples from Kildrought - in all these examples would you assume you couldn't bring your own food? When airlines are renouned for poor quality or non existent meals, or if you are at the zoo with your children for half a day?

Maybe if the cinema showed respect and didn't attempt to extort it's customers at every turn (e.g. the best seats being more expensive) I might have some sympathy.

A more appropriate comparison is smoking in a pub or restaurant when it was allowed and assuming you smoked, would you only smoke cigarettes in a pub if you bought them there? What if you bought them in the local newsagents - would you not smoke them in the pub 'out of respect'?

ok,lets not compare to restaurants/coffee shop/pubs.

yes the food in a cinema is an optional extra,take it or leave it.

Kildrought example;yes by all means bring your own food,theres plenty of public areas to consume it,but if the airline stops you entering the craft with food i think there quite within there rights.the same goes for the zoo,if you want to lay down a rug and have a picnic fantastic,the kids will love it.but if you wish to enter a private enterprise and produce your own food on private property,i believe your wrong,so i'll beg to differ on it.
your final example i think is a great one,when smoking was allowed,thats the word allowed,so nobody smokes in the pub anymore ,because its not allowed and you will be prosicuted by law.but a private enterprise cant enforce laws,he puts up a sign saying ya ya ya not allowed,everybody ignores it,ye wats heee gone to do about it!!!well i have to agree i dont think he should take the food from the children or anybody else,but i think hes quite within his rights to refuse entry.thats my opinion,nothing you will say willo sway me,its wrong wrong wrong,period.

Well that's that then!! :D

Thankfully the owners of my local cinema are a little more in tune with keeping their customers happy and willing to accept the profit from my ticket purchases.

Yesterday my son went to Storm Cinemas to see Hancock with 11 of his friends as a birthday treat. It cost me €78 and I'm guessing that the cinema gets about €25 - 30 of that amount. My wife gave them totally transparent 'goodie bag' containing crisps, chocs etc and a can of soft drink each as they entered in plain view of the staff who did not have a problem with it. When I go to the cinema in a smaller group (wife and/or kids) I generally buy the Combo meal which is overpriced at €10.50 for 2 people (drink and large shared popcorn) but I don't mind as much because they allow you to bring your own if you so wish. Well done Storm.

nothing you will say willo sway me,its wrong wrong wrong,period.

I emailed the cinema chain of the cinema I use, and I plan to ask the next time I'm in there if I don't get an email reply.

Back