Can food not purchased in cinema be taken from a child?

Happy Girl

Can anybody tell me if cinema employees can take sweets/drinks from children which have not been purchased on the premises (I would state here that the sweets/drinks were returned to the kids when they were leaving the cinema). There ARE signs up where you buy the tickets stating that "food not purchased on the premises cannot be consumed in the cinema". Just wondering however if they can enforce this. Surely this is akin to paying into the zoo and being told that you can only eat food purchased within it.

I am not sure if they have the right to remove the food from the kids. Whenever, I take kids to the cinema I always bring a bag of goodies to dispense to the kids once the lights are out!!. Otherwise it would cost a smalll fortune given the exorbitant prices cinemas charge for popcorn and coke.

I dont think they have the right to confiscate private property from the children. They can request that they dont eat the food and I'd imagine that they may be able to ask the kids to leave if they catch them in the act of eating it.

i have seen food taken from the mother of three kids in imc dun laoighre and given back after the film . The mother was livid and wasnt prepared to buy food for the kids there, personally i would have requeste the ticket money back and left

They can't confiscate anything.

However, they can ask you to leave if they see you munching away on your snacks.

I could understand a restaurant not allowing you to bring in food and a bar not allowing you bring in drink - but that is their principle line of business. I would not expect a bar to take a bag of crisps off you, rather than buy theirs.

The conemas charge a fortune for their food. We put togeather a similar goodie pack for the kids for a fraction of what they charge.....luckily our local cinema does not have such a policy.

Funniest thing I saw was a sign

In the interests of hygiene only food bought in the cinema could be consumed there.

Should have replaced 'hygiene' with 'greed'.

I've never seen any signs in my local cinema, but if I am bringing anything (I do occasionally) I leave it in my jacket pocket(s) until lights are out, just in case.

Should have replaced 'hygiene' with 'greed'.
Maybe the snacks are their principle business. They may make more money from snacks than ticket sales.

I thought there was a ruling a while back that allowed food to be taken into cinemas? I know it was a no no for years but while I can't remember the specifics I am 99% sure there was an official ruling or judgement allowing people to take their own food into cinemas

Maybe the snacks are their principle business. They may make more money from snacks than ticket sales.

In that case I'd probably prefer higher ticket prices - if the food was cheaper, and the film started at the advertised time, rather than up to 25 mins later to accommodate the large number of advertisements and a few trailers.

Worst thing is they intentionally randomly change the leadtime so people can't arrive late to avoid the ads - I saw Indiana jones twice recently in same cinema at approximately the same time a week apart, the first started the film 20 mins after advertised time, the second started it 10 mins after.

I tend to agree with the cinema's policy - there is nothing more annoying than sitting in the vicinity of someone ruffling plastic bags full of swag while trying to watch a movie. At least the buckets of popcorn and paper beakers of fizzy drinks dont make too much noise.

I tend to agree with the cinema's policy - there is nothing more annoying than sitting in the vicinity of someone ruffling plastic bags full of swag while trying to watch a movie. At least the buckets of popcorn and paper beakers of fizzy drinks dont make too much noise.

Somehow I don't think this is the reason for the cinema's policy on not eating their food on the premises. Otherwise they would not be selling the overpriced pick 'n mix in paper bags and extra large bags of hunky doreys, tayto, etc. etc. which will "ruffle" just as loud as any products which are purchased off the premises

Otherwise they would not be selling the overpriced pick 'n mix in paper bags and extra large bags of hunky doreys, tayto, etc. etc. which will "ruffle" just as loud as any products which are purchased off the premises
It is really terrible 'food' as well when you think about it. Either full of sugar and colouring, or bad fats etc.
They really should provide a healthy option, like carrot sticks and hummus (the olive oil type), broccoli dip etc.
Maybe those that object to being slowly poisoned at the cinema should be given the choice of bringing healthy food.

yeah that's what I 'smuggle' in - carrot sticks, hummus, celery and maybe some carrot juice

They really should provide a healthy option, like carrot sticks and hummus (the olive oil type), broccoli dip etc.
Maybe those that object to being slowly poisoned at the cinema should be given the choice of bringing healthy food.

No offence Leghorn but what kid would like chewing carrot sticks and dipping broccoli at the cinema:D

No offence Leghorn but what kid would like chewing carrot sticks and dipping broccoli at the cinema
They mightn't be able to tell the difference in the dark. In fact, they might even enjoy them more than sweets and crisps!

Carrot juice is lovely.

No offence Leghorn but what kid would like chewing carrot sticks and dipping broccoli at the cinema:D

I know this will sound smug but my two kids prefer fruit to sweets and crisps and my daughter would devour a pot of humus if given half a chance.

getting off the beaten track here,a friend has a small coffee shop and the amount of people that come in with take out coffee from other premises,purchase a pastry from his shop then sit down and take over his few tables,and they cant understand why he complains,he asks would they go to a restaurant and bring there own wine.Afterall you can buy they same wine for 25% of the price in an off licence,so IN defence of the cinema,he has to pay a licence fee for public display of a movie he pays rates to the council rent for the premises,management and security fees,any of you out there with an apartment will know all about that!!!so if you want to go to cinema pay the price if not get a video and make your own pop corn,like wise with a restaurant,you know the price and the rules you just have to choose,owe did i mention staff costs,wonder could you bring a steak in your bag and just ask for spuds,maybe a little pepper sauce.

Back