Camac View Kilmainham Lane Dublin 8?

Pantone,

I see you have a few posts here referring to the floor sizes been not the same as what the estate agents are advertising them at. Surely if your viewing the apartment you can see for yourself how big or small they are and you can make your own mind up if its for you or not. Also the flooding and humidity you talk about, this is easy for a qualified surveyor to pick up on prior to buying there.

Uma10,

As for the agent I'm surprised he messed you around as we bought our unit through him and had no problems. If he is messing you around I think there are joint selling agents here try the other one or just take you’re hard earned money somewhere else. Best of luck.

Shortcake,

Yes you are right - it is for the person to make their own mind up about the size of the apartment upon viewing. But keep in mind that these units are duplex and some with some fairly strange layouts, so it is not easy to get a handle on the floorspace/area of a unit when viewing.

Also, when you consider that floorspace is one of the factors used to calculate the price of a property, then it is very misleading for an estate agent to add on extra 20 square metres or so.

Furthermore, some people, particularly new first time buyers do not have any experience of what various floor spaces look like in reality, so will just assume that what they are being told in the brochure or by the estate agent is correct. In my opinion it is misleading and unprofessional for an estate agent to falsify information in order to sell a development and I would question why they need to do this.

The flooding and humidity problems may not necessarily be picked up by a surveyor as frequently a surveyors brief is simply to examine the structure of a building/apartment and not to comment on the environmental factors or particular location into which a development has been built.

In November 2007, I stated on this thread that it was a buyer's market. Has something changed ??? Dublin City Council have changed the minimum size form apartments so these are now below the minimum that is required. So with this in mind offer what you think you can afford and want to pay. REMEMBER IT IS A BUYER'S MARKET.

In November 2007, I stated on this thread that it was a buyer's market. Has something changed ??? Dublin City Council have changed the minimum size form apartments so these are now below the minimum that is required. So with this in mind offer what you think you can afford and want to pay. REMEMBER IT IS A BUYER'S MARKET.

That only applies to apartments that were granted planning after November 2007. I just checked this development planning on line and the planning was granted in 2005. Your right it is a buyers market and we think we did well buying here :)

Pantone,

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately 20 sq metre thats a awful amount of floor space for a estate agent to be out by they should be reported for that.
If your worried as a buyer there might be a problem with flooding or humidity just hightlight this concern with the surveyor when employing them and get them to give you a report on any concerns that you think they might miss. Also the builder has to issue you with a BER cert upon closing, our apartment was a B2 rating which is pretty good, so hopefully keep our heating costs down.

The only point I was making was that presently a buyer has a choice to purchase a new build apartment under the new planning guidelines where the apartments are larger now compared to those that were granted planning and built prior to 2007.

That only applies to apartments that were granted planning after November 2007. I just checked this development planning on line and the planning was granted in 2005. Your right it is a buyers market and we think we did well buying here :)

According to the start of the thread, didn't you buy in 2009?

Hi,

I've just put a deposit on one of the remaining units at Camac View. I would greatly appreciate if anyone who has purchased at Camac could offer their views re the property e.g. what's it like to live there? Have snags been completed by developer? Anything i should be aware of in terms of the property eg fixtures & fittings, sound proofing, broadband etc.

Thanks.

Having looked at a few of these apartments we decided not to buy. They are only a couple of year's old but already the common areas appear to be badly kept and even unfinished in many areas. The lack of car parking spaces also kept us away. Although we don't have a car at the moment, we thought that trying to resell was going to be difficult without one. The person showing us around was very pushy. They seemed quite desperate to sell the place, but couldn't answer any questions about the rust and dirt marks on paint work, and also the pools of water that were gathered outside the back of the place. The guttering also appeared to be in need of attention as it was actually missing in some places over the doors out on to the small gated area and at the side.

We also had concerns about the management fees for such a place. There are two lifts which can raise a management fee, which we thought was too high for such a small place anyways!

The apartments were small, but this suited us. We checked with NTL about broadband and they have no plans to cover the area. This limited us as we both work from home and need a limitless connection. We were offered wooden floors and either a washing machine or dish washer, and were told that they development was almost sold out. This is a bit strange considering how desperate they appeared to sell.

i just went through all of the comments and made a good list to ask the agent on my next visit. many thanks to everyone. im a first time buyer and will make an offer this week - as im nervous about buying a bad apt or at too high a price, all this has been very helpful

just for info on no. 8, had been trying without luck to get a viewing on this apt since sept. kept getting fobbed off with excuses etc. then pointed out to agent what i read re flooding on here and havent heard back since... needless to say dont have any interest anymore...

Believe me you wouldn't want apt. 8 if you saw it. The layout is dreadful and just doesn't work at all as a living space, never mind any problems of flooding etc... they couldn't give it away if you ask me!

Going to see one here tonight......I have a suspicion it will be number 8!! Will post back if it is guys.....

Cheers,
M

Back