Camac View Kilmainham Lane Dublin 8?

sparkles

Hello, first timer here with a quick question.
Has anyone purchased a property at Camac View, Kilmainham Lane, Dublin 8?
Thanks

Re: Camac View Kilmainham Lane

I know the development. Are you looking at the duplexes there? What information are you looking for?

I am thinking about it. I have viewed some of the apartments in the block so I am familiar with them and what you get in terms of fixtures and fittings etc...

If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask. I will try and answer with what information I have. :)

Hi, i am thinking of buying around there too. I did walk by these but wasnt that drawn to them. what are they like inside? the location is great and can only get better with old chocolate factory and Heuston square development going on. and proximity to town and public transport is great there too. Would be interested in your opinion pantone.

Hi Harvey,

The development is pretty ugly when viewed from Kilmainham Lane - yellow brick with wood panels and very close to the road, however, it is a really interesting building on the other side - fronting the river. Because it was built on a slope there are actually 5 different within the building and because of this most of the units are duplexes (2 levels).

Some of the units are really lovely, very spacious with walk out terraces leading of living areas with 2 bedroom and nice little study with built in desk etc.. Many of the units also have attractive views. But unfortunatley those units are at the top end of the price scale which is not much use for first time buyers. Some of the other units are very tight on space and with some unusual layouts. Don't get me wrong - I love quirky layouts, but some I feel are a little too claustrophobic for me. I am concerned too that they are including the outdoor balcony space in the overall unit size calculation - something you should check out beforehand.

Another issue is car parking. There are 19 units within the scheme and only 13 parking spaces. Plus they cost an additional 30,000 euro which pushes the price way up, if you manage to even get a space. I don't know how safe street parking is on Kilmainham LAne? I suppose it depends on how fancy your car is :)

THe location is fabulous though and I think there will always be a high demand for property located within the Canels. Having IMMA and the new HSQ development at Heuston on the doorstep is also a big plus ( this will introduce new shops and cinema and gym etc.) as well as the Hilton/Chocolate factory development.

However, Dublin City Council and the DoEHLG have recently launched new guidelines as to the internal layout and size of apartments which developers now have to adhere to. These require (in Dublin City Council) that the minimum size of a 2-bed unit must be 80-90 square metres gfa MINIMUM and a 3-bed 100 square metres MINIMUM excluding balconies and hallways. So it is interesting to think how this will change the demand / perception of apartments not contructed to these standards. It's a difficult one to work out.

Sorry for a huge ramble - I could talk on for hours about this!

If there is any more specific information you need, just ask and I will see if I can answer.

Sparkles,

I just sent you a private email regarding this development. Please read it and do get in touch. I think we may be in the same situation as yourself. If anyone knows who Sparkles is, I would be grateful if you could pass on this message.

Just to mention that the entire city is becoming a buyers market and is likely to stay that way for months

I agree. Things have certainly changed - even over the past few weeks. I have seen the prices for units in this development drop by around 20-30k already. But I think they were way overvalued to start with.

I viewed in Camac View recently. They now appear to be selling at decent prices, but I had a few questions that the estate agent was unable to answer. These got me worried:

1. Digital Plumber is installed through out the house, and yet there doesn't seem to be any connections anywhere for NTL or place for a Sky Dish? Seemed a bit daft

2. The general upkeep of the public areas is bad, with a strong cat dirt smell throughout the downstairs. The estate agent acknowledged a problem with feral cats in the area.

3 Despite the development being on the market for quite some time now, there is still a distinct lack of finish in the most simple of areas. The carpark seems like an afterthought in terms of finish around the entrance, and each time that I visited the gates there and also into the common areas were open. Seems like a big security risk.

I am just wondering if anyone has recently bought here and can give some answers, as the apartment that I viewed was in fact quite nice.

G.

Hi all,
This may be somewhat later than the above comments but does anyone knoe if the NTL situation at camac has improved and if so is the internet access good now..

thanks.

Thinking of buying an apartment in Camac View. Some of the apartments are very attractive and the setting is lovely. Any negative things one should be aware of? How is car parking on the street? Is there a feral cat problem? (didn't notice any when I was there). Is broadband access ok? Is it a good location for renting?

I would be wary of which apartment you are going for. Some of the units are significantly smaller in size from what the estate agents/brochures are advertising them at. One of the units in this scheme was originally advertised as 73 square metres, when in reality it is only around 50 square metres in size. Recently I saw the same unit advertised by a different estate agent as 84 square metres!

I'm considering buying one of the remaining units in this development. I quite like the location and prices have finally come down to a level I could (just about!) afford.

Whilst I haven't noticed any feral cat problem in the area I was a little concerned with the general upkeep of the units. The communal areas certainly look like they could do with a bit of a clean up. Is there anything I need to know about the management company?

As for the HSQ development I think this will hopefully enhance the area as it does lack some of those types of amenities. Does anyone have any idea when these are due to open? I suppose the HSQ development (and associated shops, restaurants etc) could go one of two ways - like the Docklands it could take off, or like alot of the units in the Smithfield area it could develop into a windswept streetscape of empty units and half empty apartment blocks!!! (I actually like Smithfield - it just hasn't developed quite as nicely as the planners might have hoped)

What do people think?

Hey All,

We are thinking of putting in a offer for one of these apartments. They seem to have come down in price quite a bit. We have an apartment picked out and its in a great location. Does anyone here live in Camac View who could give me some advise on whether this is a good development?
When we viewed theapartments it seems like a very quiet location and I like the fact that its a small development, some of the larger ones we have seen like HSQ are all on top of each other.
Any advise would be appreciated.

We looked at properties here but discovered that the builder has gone into bankruptcy and that there appear to be some problems with the building snag list. We are waiting to see what happens before we move forward more and have removed our offer from the table until such time as we are confident that it is a viable property

I recently purchased an apartment in Camac View, after a long search for a suitable unit that is in a great part of the city.
First let me say there is a few snags outstanding from the builder and yes the builder has gone into liquidation all these are correct.
Let me tell you what made me purchase here.
1. Small development and it has a really nice family and friendly appeal when we viewed it. (We viewed it 3 times before we put our offer in)
2. The developer has under taken to do the snags that the builder has left behind, none of which where to serious, our surveyor gave the common areas the once over.
3. Price was a major factor too, we looked at all the apts in Kilmainham HSQ and CF all of which were more expensive and which had there own problems attached to them too.
4. Our solicitor checked out the issue of the liquidation of the builder and it turns out the freehold is in the developers name and not the name of the builder so there is no liquidator to deal with. Our minds where put to rest on this issue.

Anyway so far so good for us, I'll keep you updated if anything changes.
Happy property hunting everyone.

I think there is definitely a problem relating to flooding and humidity in these apartments. We went to see one of these units on several occasions and each time the plasterwork in the bathroom was re-patched up to hide leaks. I would also be very careful regarding the floor size of the units. What the estate agent is advertising them as and what they are in reality may not tally up.

Is the unit 8 that you said has problems of flooding? In that unit I saw a problem relating to flooding in the corridor not in the bathroom. Do you think they are in the bathroom as well?

Back