Buying meat in the local butchers Vs the supermarket

I buy chicken and pork in the supermarkets as I like to buy Irish and it's hard to find a local butcher that stocks Irish chicken or pork.
If anyone thinks that a local butcher is any less likely to use the tricks of the trade to keep the meat looking good they are kidding themself.

I once worked in Swaziland. The local butchers had a dirt floor and one chiller cabinet. As the guy behind the counter cut up your fillet steak he was aiming careful kicks at little yellow chicks which were running all over the place in the shop. Fillet steak was the cheapest thing you could buy as the Swazis (for reasons of superstition) wouldn't buy any meat that didn't have a bone in it. We ate like kings for 4 months!! That was the best butchers shop that I ever bought meat in!.

Already answered I know. The answer is to fry in smaller batches rather than the mince all at once. It's easier to drain off and ensure that the meat gets fried rather than poached.
Bought a mincer from Lidl yonks ago and only use my own now. The difference is unbelievable. Totally different texture, no water and better taste. Plus I only mince stewing steak from my butcher for beef mince. 'Tis gorgeous.
I mince pork as well and the taste is divine. Preminced pork from the supermarket is rancid to the tastebuds after mincing your own.
Lidls mincer was 50 quid well spent IMO

The SuperValu supermarket in Mount Merrion sells game. Picked up a pheasant yesterday. Also on sale were venison steaks, mixed game for pies etc. Definitely different to the rest.

However I do have major problem with the 2 butchers where I but meat and that is the standard of hygiene. I often see the staff handle money and meat with the same hands regardless of whether they are wearing gloves or not.

OK - watched my local butchers at the weekend to check out the gloves/money handling situation.

They are handling money bare handed. But when they are getting meat out of the counter, they put their hand into a bag and use that to pick up the meat - so theyre not handling the meat bare handed - from the counter. When they are cutting something thats not in the counter (like a t-bone steak) they are wearing metal type gloves to do it.

If you get them to do something to meat (like bone and roll something) they wash their hands before working on it.

So I think its ok.

Back