Buying meat in the local butchers Vs the supermarket

Re: Buying meat in the butchers

I never buy those pre-pack meats in the Supermarket as I would rather eat cardboard. I cant believe anyone can prefer the taste over proper fresh meat.

I dont eat chicken fillets at all, think they taste of nothing and always buy my meat from local farm/local butcher. As people have said, there is a much better service.

I always try to buy free range and/organic and don't mind paying extra. There comes a point where you have to question what shortcuts were made to produce food for a low price (eg, 3.99 for a chicken or whatever) and if it matters to you if shortcuts in quality and more importantly animal welfare, have been taken. It does to me and I eat less meat than I ever did, but better quality and always ethically farmed and as near as possible to the original source as possible.

Have to agree about chicken fillets - they are very tasteless on their own, even the free range ones - but marinade them in milk for a few hours then oven cook and the flavour really comes through.

As an alternative to minced beef, I often buy turkey mince (from the supermarket as butchers don't normally sell it) and it works great in bolognaises, chillis, burgers etc, with a much more distinct taste and way less fat than minced beef.

Also, don't be worried about asking your butcher for bones - they're more than happy to give them away (as they have to pay for disposal) - and use them to make your own stock or as a heavenly treat for dogs - as opposed to paying for cooked ones in a pet shop - the raw ones are better for the dogs in any case.

Have to agree about chicken fillets - they are very tasteless on their own, even the free range ones - but marinade them in milk for a few hours then oven cook and the flavour really comes through.

As an alternative to minced beef, I often buy turkey mince (from the supermarket as butchers don't normally sell it) and it works great in bolognaises, chillis, burgers etc, with a much more distinct taste and way less fat than minced beef.

Also, don't be worried about asking your butcher for bones - they're more than happy to give them away (as they have to pay for disposal) - and use them to make your own stock or as a heavenly treat for dogs - as opposed to paying for cooked ones in a pet shop - the raw ones are better for the dogs in any case.

Great tip about the milk marinade - will try that.

I also buy turkey mince - used to buy it from the supermarket but freshness was hit and miss (had at least 2 occasions when it was smelly out of the packaging) so told the butcher and now he provides it for me - he actually freezes 1lb bags of it so you can just take it home to your own freezer.

I ventured into a local butcher some time ago and asked him where the chicken came from . . .and he said Germany. I've never gone back - there is another butcher I go to sometimes but I've never asked them where their meat comes from as they're always really busy and I'm usually buying a fair few different things when I'm there and it would take ages for the guy to tell me all the information I would like. Why can't they have it up on a sign or something? At least in the supermarket you can see on the packet where it comes from.

Liaconn - I use Tommy Redmonds up beside Supervalu in Firhouse, next to the hairdressers on the block that China House is in. Been using them since they took over there and never disappointed - did not really like the butchers that was there before them. Very helpful guys, very good quality meat, good prices etc... a lot of my friends locally use them as well.
They also do fresh fish on thursdays and fridays but i usually miss it cos i tend to do my meat shop on a saturday and its all gone. He offers some very good deals on things and is always willing to offer a bit of seasoning, cut whatever way you like, trim things etc....

Thanks Truthseeker. I've used them a couple of times but it's great to know that they will do things like joint a chicken (as I would probably end up jointing my hand as well!)

If you are willing to pay the extra for the free range products, don't be shy about asking where the product comes from - it's your money that's paying the bill!!

All of the free range producers label their product clearly as they want to promote themselves and why they are different (it's also a regulatory requirement). So if there is no label clearly declaring that the product is free range you need to be willing to ask some hard questions and don't be fobbed off because you know your butcher a long time etc.

For a fact I've seen chickens being sold as free range when they were clearly not, and if they are cheap with no label, I would lay any wager you wish that it isn't free range.

Thanks Truthseeker. I've used them a couple of times but it's great to know that they will do things like joint a chicken (as I would probably end up jointing my hand as well!)

Sounds like me in the kitchen - Id recommend trying the t-bone steak too, its very yummy!!

Butchers are definitely > Supermarkets for both quality and price.

I usually do a fairly large shopping trip (every 3 weeks or so) and found as soon as I started buying meat from my local butcher, I literally halved my meat bill. And got better quality to boot.

I have had some dealings with supplying beef to the market and can tell you butchers take more of an interest in the animals they use. Tesco/dunnes/Squinn dont care what breed or diet the animal is. They pay by weight and weight only. Butchers offer full traceablity. Supermarkets advertise tracebility but thats back to batch numbers not specific animals.

Why can't they have it up on a sign or something? At least in the supermarket you can see on the packet where it comes from.

I thought most do, mine has name of farm (local) and abbatoir (local too). If they didn't, I would worry why they didn't.

Butchers are definitely > Supermarkets for both quality and price.

I usually do a fairly large shopping trip (every 3 weeks or so) and found as soon as I started buying meat from my local butcher, I literally halved my meat bill. And got better quality to boot.

Agreed, when buying in bulk from the butchers there's a massive savings.

The main thing, apart from taste, is the water content. The chicken fillets, steaks and the size of the mice packets often look better value in supermarkets, but I found due to the amount of water, you ended up poaching them rather than frying them. I haven't had that problem with any of the meat from the butchers, very little water content.

Agreed, when buying in bulk from the butchers there's a massive savings.

The main thing, apart from taste, is the water content. The chicken fillets, steaks and the size of the mice packets often look better value in supermarkets, but I found due to the amount of water, you ended up poaching them rather than frying them. I haven't had that problem with any of the meat from the butchers, very little water content.

Please don't ask me round to dinner at your place :confused:

generally speaking, butchers would source their meat from farmers they know and traceability is key when purchasing meat these days. Meat coming in from emerging markets like Brazil etc. is not subject to the same strict measures as that of the cattle reared in Ireland/EU.
For us, if were cooking burgers, the steak burgers bought in the butchers is the only way to go.

(no cattle were killed in the making of this comment)

I'll be honest. my local butcher that has 'won awards' sells meat that i wouldnt feed to a dog. i've seen him freeze meat, to take it out the next day and sell as fresh. you can buy a lovely succulant chicken on saturday but come sunday its putrid!! no thanks, i'll stick to the supermarkets!!

I once had Prawn Mousse with minced Jalapenos sprinkled on top. Guess that doesn't qualify :)

Pah, call yourselves carnivores. If it can bleed, it can be eaten.

Maybe mice stew is a local thing. It's grand except you have to watch for the whiskers and small ribs bones.

Back