Buying from Dell worth it What are they Like ?

IrishGunner

What are Dell like to buy a PC from ?

Looking for basic PC for parents and heard their customer service is not that great
should anything go wrong ?

For my parents who are PC illiterate they may need customer service if they
do break down are they reliable ?

Just looking for a basic Desktop for them for Internet & email so nothing to expensive

I usually buy my PC from Marx computers(not an affiliate) and they are very
helpful and they have a walk in store so easier to deal with

However have to buy monitor, keyboard & hardware separate so would it
be easier buying from Dell including everything

Any ideas suggestions welcome

I have bought many Dell laptops and pcs over the last 5 years. Very rarely a problem and when I did have a problem they were quick to solve it.

You say your parents are computer illiterate so to be honest if things go wrong I don't think that any company will be able to help them easily without making a call out. I know myself how hard it is to run through something over the phone even with someone that is computer literate.

whelanfiona said:
IYou say your parents are computer illiterate so to be honest if things go wrong I don't think that any company will be able to help them easily without making a call out.
The OP better support them because some Indian will not and that is not Dells fault but and expectation thing . Dell hardware is fine and cheap but thats not the big problem here . My elders never started to use pcs till they were 65 and retired

I recommend Dell purely because they are cheap and there level of service is nearly always very good. If you have a problem they will try and fix it over the phone, and even try and talk completely non-IT users through issues. If a part is deemed to be faulty then they will swap it out pretty quickly. My company has used Dell for years and a lot of our staff buy Dells too and there feedback is pretty positive on the whole. 1 thing though, buy the Dell and never open the case or swap out parts as they could tell you that the warranty is invalid (I have only heard of this actually happening once, but once is enough)

Think I will go with them

Rang their outlet store & they have a few decent ones from about €540 incl pent4, xp media center,512ram,80gb memory,17" flat monitor, dvd player and cd burner

That should do them €100 extra for 3 year warrenty

Should do the trick and wont be opening it for any reason

Isnt media centre just for media pc's - does it include all the normal windows stuff also?

whelanfiona said:
I have bought many Dell laptops and pcs over the last 5 years. Very rarely a problem and when I did have a problem they were quick to solve it.
quote]

I'll second that, they're definatley the best value. Pretty reliable too.

BM

Ok went to the Dell outlet and bought the below

Will have to clear some crap off it but probably the best deal after shopping around

Thanks for the advice

Dimension 1100 - 2.8Ghz - 80.00Gb HD - 512.00Mb Mem - DVD - Modem

+ - Dimension 1100 P4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533fsb) - - 16X DVD+/- RW - - No Floppy Drive - - 80GB IDE (7, 200rpm) Hard Drive - - 2 x Doc Dimension 1100 ENG/UK Cord - - Dimension 1100 Badge - - Sonic Software for DVD/RW+R (No Media) - - Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Entry Mouse - - Dell Enhanced USB Multimedia Kybd - - Dell Media Experience 3.0 - - Tiscali Pan Euro ISP - No Media - - McAfee Security Centre V7.0 90 day Trial Version - - Paint Shop Picture Studio 1.01 - trial version - - DVD 5.1 Power Software (no media) - - Photo Shop Photo Album (5.22) - trial version - - 512MB (2x256) Dual Channel DDR400 - - V.92 Modem Data/Fax/Voice PCI UK - - Microsoft® Works® 7.0 - UK - - Image Restore Utility - - AOL 8, BT + Tiscali ISP combo - UK - - Dell Media Experience 3.0 - - Dell Support 3.0 - - Genuine Windows® XP Home SP2 - - Genuine Windows® XP Home SP2 - UK - Dell A215 Speaker KIT

Price 573 including 1-year warranty

2Pack said:
have you bought that , its a crap deal ????cheap dell with monitor and good spec here €641 http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=ieepp1&kc=NPIE5&oc=D04516a&x=10&y=14&fb=1&c=ie&l=en reduce the warranty to 1 year , that has a 19 Inch monitor which is good for elders eyes.

Its not that bad and they are not millionaires or gamers so wont be doing that much for the price its ok for elders and their not blind so wont need a cinema screen. Ok you get what you pay for but I can fix it up and add more but me dont think they will need it

Thanks for the suggestion however but more expensive spec

Dimension 1100 - 2.8Ghz - 80.00Gb HD - 512.00Mb Mem - DVD - Modem

+ - Dimension 1100 P4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533fsb) - - 16X DVD+/- RW - - No Floppy Drive - - 80GB IDE (7, 200rpm) Hard Drive - - 2 x Doc Dimension 1100 ENG/UK Cord - - Dimension 1100 Badge - - Sonic Software for DVD/RW+R (No Media) - - Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Entry Mouse - - Dell Enhanced USB Multimedia Kybd - - Dell Media Experience 3.0 - - Tiscali Pan Euro ISP - No Media - - McAfee Security Centre V7.0 90 day Trial Version - - Paint Shop Picture Studio 1.01 - trial version - - DVD 5.1 Power Software (no media) - - Photo Shop Photo Album (5.22) - trial version - - 512MB (2x256) Dual Channel DDR400 - - V.92 Modem Data/Fax/Voice PCI UK - - Microsoft® Works® 7.0 - UK - - Image Restore Utility - - AOL 8, BT + Tiscali ISP combo - UK - - Dell Media Experience 3.0 - - Dell Support 3.0 - - Genuine Windows® XP Home SP2 - - Genuine Windows® XP Home SP2 - UK - Dell A215 Speaker KIT

From your above spec there is no monitor included, that is what I would expect for the outlet store. Have they already got a monitor or have you a spare one to give them ? If not then €641 with a montor isn't a bad price.

Dells online (Ireland) prices dont make any sense.......
I am looking for a value notebook, so I clicked on the link below
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/nb_essentials?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs
It says prices starting at 479.When you press select in green underneath it then gives three notebooks, the cheapest of which is 539. If you press on customize and buy the price jumps again to 672…….
I phoned them for assistance 2 days ago and the salesman agreed that something wasn’t right and promised to call me back in 10 minutes, since I wanted to buy there and then. Its been 2 days and no one has called me back!!!! I do have the salespersons name , for all the good that will do.

IrishGunner said:
my bag sorry does come with 17' Flat monitor
Ah thats not so bad so, some outlet boxes come with no monitor and I thought yours was one.

Landlord said:
Dells online (Ireland) prices dont make any sense.......
I am looking for a value notebook, so I clicked on the link below
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
It says prices starting at 479.When you press select in green underneath it then gives three notebooks, the cheapest of which is 539. If you press on customize and buy the price jumps again to 672…….
hmmm, a value notebook, lets say €450 is value

Click here

It starts at €573, reduce warranty to 90 days and its €450

Maybe get the better battery (€11) but otherwise it good value .

ALSO tick FREE PRINTER for a free printer :p ...but you must tick it.

NEVER buy extras off Dell, they charge thru the nose for them

ALWAYS make sure the base spec laptop has all you need, that one has a DVDRW and Wifi so you will be grand

As far as i know Dell Customer support is based in india (as it is cheaper for dell to have its customer support based there). It doesnt make much of a difference and in some ways i found this side of the company far more efficient than the sales side(irish based) with whom i had many gripes. I'd recommend dell though. Toshiba are also a really good brand.

i bought my pc from dell and have never had any problems with it. their customer care seems to be rather good and that is based on my experience with them.

Back