Buying an Engagement Ring in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

ails

We are travelling to New York in November and decided at the weekend that while we were there we would buy an engagement ring. Anyone got any tips for us and also has anyone used diamond.ie to source their diamonds in New York?

No I'm not affiliated to the site. When I did a search they were one of the results and they seem like a good idea. Was just wondering whether anyone has used them before?

I would be very very careful buying diamonds in New Youk. Unless you are going to Tiffany's or the very high end. Dont forget that the standards of customer service and trust in New York aren't the same as at home. The guy selling you a ring's only object is to make as much as he can on the deal on that day and if you bad mouth him back in Dublin what does he care. He knows also you probably won't be flying back to complain. If you do buy and its a gold ring, remember the carat value are different so you have to get an American carat gold wedding ring so one ring wont be harder and wear away the other.

Hi Ails, Recently just back from NY with an amazing engagement ring. We actually got recommendations from this site and bought in a place called Hannikens. They sell to Aer Lingus staff and were so nice and helpful. Be sure to only buy a certified diamond - GIA. They are based in Diamond district on 47th street. Sure you don't get the champagne and service of Tiffanys but you couldn't find better value.

Hi Ails, Recently just back from NY with an amazing engagement ring. We actually got recommendations from this site and bought in a place called Hannikens. They sell to Aer Lingus staff and were so nice and helpful. Be sure to only buy a certified diamond - GIA. They are based in Diamond district on 47th street. Sure you don't get the champagne and service of Tiffanys but you couldn't find better value.

Be very very careful, stick to Manhattan and not New Jersey. A lot of diamonds are not what they are. Also in the less reputable places - still war diamonds washed through the market. Sharecarer - did you get the 4 c's verified in Ireland through a dealer to be sure it matched your purchase? Finally buy over a carat, it is nicer and more valuable as long as the other c's are good.

Thanks for all that! Wow there is such a lot to consider, so much for a restful couple of days in New York! The names of the jewellers are a great help though thanks again

Definitely go to Hannikens - so friendly and helpful. Got my ring there, got it valued in Ireland when I came home and it was valued at over 5,000 euro more than what we piad for it. Am a very satisified customer...

might be more expensive than the rest but my two cents worth - go to Tiffanys. I know some people on aam say its over priced and that but they have some lovely stuff and its nice to say I got my ring at tiffanys (not that i have one just my humble opinion). Then you will both smile everything you hear ' i said what about breakfast at tiffanys' :)

Hi we got ours in ultra diamonds in woodbury common. It is a trip on a bus (50 dollars) but you get fantastic value there on everything Everyone loves it and is asking where can they get it. Don’t shop in a place for their name take the time and look at them all and find the ring you love the most

Hi there

Sorry to Hijack this post, but I am planning to take my girlfriend to New York with a potential view to purchase an engagement ring.

She has always wanted a Tiffany & Co ring and seeing as though they are so expensive over here, I am hoping they may be more affordable over there!!

I was hoping to find a suitable ring for around the £1,000 mark (at most) and was just wondering whether we are likely to be able to find a Tiffany & Co ring for that sort of price in New York and where best to look.

Any guidance would be appreciated and we know that Tiffany commands a high mark up, but we would like to look at them first before deciding what to do.

Thanks

T

Hi Tom44,

For what its worth I have been trawling through this site and a couple of other wedding sites and the advice seems to be that with Tiffany you are merely paying for the blue box. I wanted a Tiffany ring before I started researching on the web and rings that seem to be very similar to those at Tiffanys can be got anywhere else in NY for a lot cheaper.

My original post was about diamond.ie and has anyone used them to source there ring in New York, haven't really got any feedback so far on them but we have arranged a diamond consultation with them tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes it might just be a cheaper option!!

I bought one over in NY last year at a dept. store (Fortunoffs had a great sale on at the time). When we got it valued over here, the retail price turned out to be almost 3 times the price we paid in NY, so once you get a quality certified product, it is certainly a good way to go.

The main advice I would give is do all your planning/sizing/window shopping etc. here in advance, so that by the time you get over there you know exactly the kind of ring you want. Each shop only has a limited amount of stock on any give day, so if you know what you want, it will help you quickly move on to the next shop if they don't have what you are looking for.

On the Tiffany's thing, yes, there is a premium. However, some people like the idea that they got the ring (+ box!) from there... that can be priceless to some people.

I bought one over in NY last year at a dept. store (Fortunoffs had a great sale on at the time). When we got it valued over here, the retail price turned out to be almost 3 times the price we paid in NY, so once you get a quality certified product, it is certainly a good way to go.

The main advice I would give is do all your planning/sizing/window shopping etc. here in advance, so that by the time you get over there you know exactly the kind of ring you want. Each shop only has a limited amount of stock on any give day, so if you know what you want, it will help you quickly move on to the next shop if they don't have what you are looking for.

On the Tiffany's thing, yes, there is a premium. However, some people like the idea that they got the ring (+ box!) from there... that can be priceless to some people.

i completly aggree with this advice I too got one in Furtonoffs right beside tiffanys on park avenue. It was a very good deal, and they are very friendly and make sure you bargain with them you should get a few squids off (i managed to get the sales tax deducted). dont know about the other places mentioned so couldn't comment

the biggest problem you will have is trying to get it valued back in ireland, a lot of the jewellars refuse too, and some of the others haven't a clue what they are doing but will gladly take the 50 yoyo valuation fee.

Best of luck to the OP and i hope she likes it.

as for breakfast in tiffany's maybe you could smuggle in a bacon and egg bagel!!!!

A second vote here for Salvatore & Co in the Diamond District.

Mrs Tap picked out an amazing eternity ring when we were there. Just rmeember to post the appraisal etc home for emm... safety!

I am thinkin of proposing to Ms. Slamdunkin at chrimbo - would you advise going to NYC or South Africa or somewherelse to get the ring?

I am thinkin of proposing to Ms. Slamdunkin at chrimbo - would you advise going to NYC or South Africa or somewherelse to get the ring?

well NYC is absolutely lovely at christmas - they go a bit over the top there. and the ring will be good value- far better than here.
never been to SA so cant comment.

hope it goes well slam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back