Buying an Engagement Ring in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be an ethical bore...but read this before you go!

[broken link removed]

Hi again!

I told Tom44 that I would post again after meeting with guy from Diamond.ie (he sources diamonds in New York and makes the ring for you or organises consultations with jewellers when you get there) and I have only gotten around to doing it now!!

Anyway, we met him in a hotel in town, in a cramped majorly overheated room and the minute we walked in the door we felt under pressure. He was a truly arrogant man and kept making comments about how he has been doing this for years and basically that he was doing us a favour by even meeting us! We were not impressed. Then he tried to sell us an uncertified 1ct diamond, saying that he would give us a valuation of double what we would be paying him.

I'm just delighted that we had done a bit of research on the internet beforehand and at least knew about the 4 c's etc. we felt under so much pressure that we told him we would go for it and then he started looking for money straight away. My boyfriend told him that he never carries cash and he said well there is an ATM in the lobby (the cheek!) Anyway with that we left and he said he would send us an invoice and that he needed half of the money by the end of the weekend. We ran out of the hotel.

Since then we have looked around the shops in town and decided that we won't buy the ring in New York as if the guy from Diamond.ie is anything to go by we could be bullied into buying something worthless. We went with Diamant.ie who deal with diamonds from Antwerp and we will have the ring in a couple of weeks, GIA Certified, and half the price of the jewellers on Grafton Street.

Just thought I would warn everyone about him. He was way too pushy for my liking and really turned me off the idea of going to New York to buy the ring.

hi please help
I am bringing my girlfriend to new York for new years eve (her Christmas present) and I will be asking her to marry me there, i think she will say yes as we have being going out with each other for 7 years and we are building a house together. I am planning to bring her to tiffanies & co, i have a €6,000 budget (is that a good budget?) do you think she will get a good quality ring, the one she wants with that budget?, also she has no idea am going to ask her so i don’t think she will have any idea of the type of ring she will want, so i was thinking maybe i should ask her a few weeks before we go so she can think about it what do you think? P.S sorry for all the questions

Hi Ails

Thank you for your comments!! most useful and dont fancy an experience like that!!

I think it is a Tiffany & Co ring that I am after, even though I know you are paying more for the name than anything else! However I guess if I get a Tiffany & Co ring from one of the reputable stores over in NY, the I cannot see too many issues!!

Are they much cheaper out in NY or are they a similar price?? I dont want to spend a fortune (true romantic that i am!!) and am probably looking around the £1,000 mark.

Not sure if I could get a Tiffany ring in the UK for that price!!

Thanks

Tom

hi please help
I am bringing my girlfriend to new York for new years eve (her Christmas present) and I will be asking her to marry me there, i think she will say yes as we have being going out with each other for 7 years and we are building a house together. I am planning to bring her to tiffanies & co, i have a €6,000 budget (is that a good budget?) do you think she will get a good quality ring, the one she wants with that budget?, also she has no idea am going to ask her so i don’t think she will have any idea of the type of ring she will want, so i was thinking maybe i should ask her a few weeks before we go so she can think about it what do you think? P.S sorry for all the questions

i would check out fortunoff (spelling might be incorrect) right beside tiffanys on park avenue. they will be a lot better value. also the budget is good - you will get a really nice ring for that.

i'm sure those two shops have websites, so check out what they ahve and for what money before you go.

and if i was you dont ask her till she gets there - surprise her there and then go look for a ring together!

good luck

Hi Ails

Thank you for your comments!! most useful and dont fancy an experience like that!!

I think it is a Tiffany & Co ring that I am after, even though I know you are paying more for the name than anything else! However I guess if I get a Tiffany & Co ring from one of the reputable stores over in NY, the I cannot see too many issues!!

Are they much cheaper out in NY or are they a similar price?? I dont want to spend a fortune (true romantic that i am!!) and am probably looking around the £1,000 mark.

Not sure if I could get a Tiffany ring in the UK for that price!!

Thanks

Tom

a diamond ring in tiffanys for 1000 - not sure about that. you might get a money clip for 1000!!

again check out there website

NY is a lot cheaper with the exchange rate!

Tiffany's is a lovely store but I don't think it is a good idea to buy engagement rings from there. Nobody but you will know that's where it is from, so of course it's up to you to decide if that' worth a 50% mark up!

1234 has the right idea. By going to the diamond district, you will get a better stone for the same amount of money. "Better" can mean bigger or greater clarity or better cut or whatever aspect of buying a diamond you think is most important. It is also really fun to put together your own setting/stone combination; it means you have a (reasonably) unique ring. If you want a really unique ring, you can always design your own setting and have it made up by the jeweller.

Not sure I agree about the certificates, but that is up to each individual buyer. I have an old (family) .75ct VS1 diamond that is not certified and that doesn't effect the insurance value at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back