BoI Laser Termination Date Confirmed: Jan 31st 2012

if we lost the card and someone found it and used it for a few 15 euro purchases on the contactless system who would be liable for the money, and the girl she spoke to said we would .
That's interesting, I hadn't read through the small print yet and had been wondering why it was being touted as a more secure way of doing things. My sister lives in Australia and they have the contactless system over there - she said that every random number of purchases you have to enter a pin and that's how the keep an eye on it.

I received mine a couple of weeks ago, after having received a new Laser in March (replacement for a stolen one) which had an expiry date in 2015 on it. They haven't made any allowance for anyone living abroad - you have to activate it by using it in a BoI ATM within two months. A pain but at least I can get back from Germany fairly easily, even if another trip home this year had not been budgeted for (yes, I could send it home to someone to do it for me but I try to be careful with my PIN besides not wanting the card to get lost in transit). If you don't activate it within the two months it becomes invalid, as does your laser card.

Moonman - yes you can get one without the Contactless facility. It doesn't have the ))) symbols on it

The card can be activated at any chip & pin atm machine displaying the Visa symbol worldwide.

The card can be activated at any chip & pin atm machine displaying the Visa symbol worldwide.

Where did you get that information from? They were very specific in the literature that it must be activated in a Bank of Ireland ATM, including one of the FAQs given asking what to do if abroad. Answer: card must be activated in a Bank of Ireland ATM.

I know three or four years ago I had to use my Laser card in a BoI ATM first to activate it and when I received the replacement one earlier this year all I had to do was use it first in any ATM worldwide so they do seem to change their minds. Did you activate yours by using it in a non-BoI or non-Irish ATM?

i went to my bank branch today and spoke to one of the staff , and im changing my contactless card for one without that facility , the person i was with said there would be no charge , but she reminded me that normally a change of card through loss or misuse normally incurs a charge of 5euro 90 cent.

Just today activated BOI visa debit card at a Dutch ATM (ABN Amro, to be precise) - apparently not possible, according to the BOI website...

Good to know for future cards that even if they say differently in the literature, it might be worth trying it in a local (for me that means German) ATM anyway. Still, at least I got to go home for a few days, see some new baby arrivals and stock up on rashers and tayto. Had been running out of chef brown sauce, too. :)

Back