Best way to remove a difficult rent-a-room lodger

Rois

I've had a lodger living in my house since last September - rent-a-room scheme. I took up references from his previous landlord and employer prior to his moving in.

Initially he had a full-time job which he hated. In January he started a new 3-day week job. A few weeks ago he lost that job - I think he was fired.

He's not looking for another job, just sleeps half or most of the day, and spends the rest of the time drinking, smoking and watching tv. He complains if I make any noise which disturbs his sleep (even in the afternoon)! or if the dogs are barking.

He pays his rent on time, but contributes nothing else around the house insofar as he doesn't clean up after himself or do any household chores.

He's very moody and loses his rag very easily. I've seen him bash his head off the wall and lose his temper quite a lot. He has no friends and no contact with any of his family whatsoever.

I want to remove him as quickly and as safely as possible (i.e. I will change the locks once he's gone). I am quite scared of him at this stage.

I expect I have to give him a month's notice or is there any other path I could go down to get him to leave sooner?

Re: Best way to remove a difficult lodger

Not sure what the situation is legally, Rois, but if I were in your situation, I'd try to get him out asap. He sounds to me like he might be suffering from depression or some other condition.

I feel very sorry for him but, while he's there with you, you won't have peace of mind or real "ownership" of your house.

Maybe start bringing over some male friends to the house for more moral support.Perhaps you could say that you will be looking to rent the whole house out or that you are selling the house and that you are giving him one month's notice.Go as far as bringing in "estate agent".?

I am actually planning to sell the house and he's aware of that but I hadn't given him any notice as it may take months to sell. Maybe time to step it up a gear ...

as far as know under rent a room you have no statutory rights re tenure other than a person should be given "reasonable notice" to leave. Perhaps a look at posts under rent a room may give you some ideas. I suspect many people usually tell a little white lie like "i need the room for a relative"

Hi there,
was in a simular situation as yourself a few years ago, the main thing is get him out with as little hassle as possible. So I did the decent thing and lied!
I basically told the lodger I had family moving back to Ireland for good and they needed a place to stay for a while until they found a place. I gave this person 6 weeks to leave and I paid a deposit. We never heard from the lodger again..

Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of this too twice as a lodger.

Unfortunately, you have to take the bull by the horns and do it - but use some excuse like, your brother/sister/old friend coming home from Australia and needs a place to stay, or your folks are planning on selling the apartment (which really wasn't yours - you were just renting it from them) and they want it free to sell.

I never fell out with my landlords - this is life, these things happen but I advise doing it sooner rather than later for pace fo mind, no-one likes living with someone who doesn't like living with them.

In addition to all the advice above - all completely reasonable because it just hasn't worked out as a house share, and such a non-functioning arrangement is not acceptable to anyone - stick to your guns about dates and don't get soft if he starts to ask for more time or doesn't seem to be doing much about finding a new place.

He might be unhappy there too (sounds like he isn't that happy generally) so in many ways, this could be the push he needs.

Many years ago I was asked to leave a houseshare - tho I was cleaning up after myself - and it was a blessed relief as we just didn't get on. My landlord got a bit funny about it and tried to deduct part of the deposit for 'wear on the stair carpet and living room couch', and it got quite tense as the debate continued about acceptable usage of the house.

Would suggest in your situation that you don't throw obstacles like that in your path even if you feel he should be made pay for a cleanup.

you could also just say you dont want to rent out rooms anymore and want the house to yourself. Just get him out.

If you can do it, just say "its not working out" and give him 4 weeks notice or whatever.

If you are really desperate to get him out, tell him your sister/brother needs the room ASAP. Refund him his deposit and the last rent that he paid...which should be attractive to a someone on the dole.

You might be out of pocket but you will get peace of mind.

Please think of your own personal safety and get him out asap. Tell a 'white' lie as other posters have suggested. He may be harmless but some of the behaviour you have witnessed would worry me if I were in your situation. Very best of luck.

Many thanks for all your sound advice. I have decided to give him 1 months notice from today (accompanied by a couple of little white lies).

I don't expect he will be too pleased but that is nothing new. He needs to sort his life out and this may be the 'push' he needs for his own good. I will return his full deposit when he leaves and change the locks.

Have you a friend/relative that can come and stay closer to the end day?

Even if this means them sleeping on a couch, it may help the process and make you feel safer.

Yes I can get someone to stay for a while if I feel it's necessary - my nephew is always looking for somewhere to sleep!

Hi, you need to tell this person the truth. When you took him in he had a job, now he doesn't. This is a lesson for anyone renting a room in their house to make it a condition of the tenancy that they have to have a job. You cannot have someone home all day using your services and polluting the house with cigarette smoke.

I disagree - his problems are his problems.

A few white lies and get rid quickly.

He would be very angry if I were to tell him the truth and that's what I don't want to happen. However, I would definitely make it a condition of any future tenancy that the person needs to be employed.

I've done everything I can to get him work, typed his CV, covering letters. Constantly checking job websites for him but he's doing nothing to help himself. I told him he need to buy the local paper for jobs but his answer is that he's a "realist and knows there are no jobs out there"!

Meanwhile, he's upset neighbours and their children by being rude and shouting at them because sometimes their balls come in my garden.

He always has the heating on as he "suffers from arthritis"? (His bills are included in the rent so my gas bill is enormous).

Enough said, he has to go. BTW he's still in bed now so I haven't even been able to give him his notice yet today, or put on the washing machine etc etc in case I disturb his sleep.

He always has the heating on as he "suffers from arthritis"? (His bills are included in the rent so my gas bill is enormous).

You should have changed that as soon as you saw the bills were over the top. And you wont turn on the wasking machine in case you wake him?

You need to be a way more authoritative. You are moulding your homelife around a lodger and his ways. You are getting walked all over, this is your house!

If you get another lodger you dont need to worry about how the person is going to react to things you do or say. You have no control over that.

Hi, you need to tell this person the truth. When you took him in he had a job, now he doesn't. This is a lesson for anyone renting a room in their house to make it a condition of the tenancy that they have to have a job. You cannot have someone home all day using your services and polluting the house with cigarette smoke.

Have to disagree 100% with this advice. The op has already clearly stated that she is scared of him and quite frankly, she has every right to be. He may turn out to be quite harmless, who knows? But from the sounds of it, she owes his nothing. There is just no way I would put up with this in my home. I think get him out as quickly and as problem free as possible even if it means lying through your teeth! I reckon the longer this goes on the more difficult it will become.

Back