Best SUV

slookie

Need more help folks. I drove a 2.0l diesel Tucson today....loved it. Found it very comfortable and smooth on the road. The sales man told me that he also has one. Now, he says that it costs about 70 euro to fill it, and he would get 960 or 970 kilometres until the light would come on. Could this be right? I would be very sceptical of sales men, so I am seeking advice from people who have one.
Also if it came to a choice between, a 2.0l diesel Tucson, 2.0l Diesel Santa Fe, or a 2.0l diesel Kia Sportage, which would ye recommend? Looking for something economical firstly, and then comfort.
All help appreciated.

You should also test drive a 2.2l D4D Toyota Rav 4 before you make your final decision. I have one and I love it, €50 to fill (small tank)and aprox 700km of short trips/medium trips per tank.

You should also test drive a 2.2l D4D Toyota Rav 4 before you make your final decision. I have one and I love it, €50 to fill (small tank)and aprox 700km of short trips/medium trips per tank.

Ya but they are a good bit pricier and also road tax dearer with a 2.2l

Need more help folks. I drove a 2.0l diesel Tucson today....loved it. Found it very comfortable and smooth on the road. The sales man told me that he also has one. Now, he says that it costs about 70 euro to fill it, and he would get 960 or 970 kilometres until the light would come on. Could this be right? I would be very sceptical of sales men, so I am seeking advice from people who have one.
Also if it came to a choice between, a 2.0l diesel Tucson, 2.0l Diesel Santa Fe, or a 2.0l diesel Kia Sportage, which would ye recommend? Looking for something economical firstly, and then comfort.
All help appreciated.

If you are buying new, check its co2 emissions and see if will have a VRT reduction under the new rules after July 08 due to the budget. You may save your self a substantial amount of cash if it has low emissions

Motor tax:

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €100
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €600
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000
Band G (>225 grams per km) - €2,000

VRT:

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - 14%
Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - 16%
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - 20%
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - 24%
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - 28%
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - 32%
Band G (>225 grams per km) - 36%

Find out about you motors CO2 output:

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/ UK GOV SITE!

http://www.parkers.co.uk

Not buyin new...06 hopefully. Can anyone tell me if that is true...900 plus miles on a full tank. Is that not economical??

All help appreciated.

I'm sure he is getting 970km on a full tank (and a half!!). My 2.0L diesel avensis does about 800km on a full tank @ 60e(more on motorway), I can't see big bulky 2.0L SUV doing 970km on 70e. SUV's are not economical!

If you are set on an SUV, I'd go for the Sportage from the three... Although the Freelander is worth a look!!

Buy in the UK !!!

Sterling has moved in the last few weeks by about 10% and if you choose carefully you may get a vehicle with lower emissions and save money after July.

Freelander: great jeep but expensive and high emissions. (talking about freelander 2 not the previous piece of junk)

Buy in the UK !!!

Sterling has moved in the last few weeks by about 10% and if you choose carefully you may get a vehicle with lower emissions and save money after July.

Ya whats the story with buying in the UK? How do they work out how much you pay to get it cleared? Do you know of any good garages over there??

I drove a 2.0l diesel Tucson today....loved it. Found it very comfortable and smooth on the road.
You need to go out and test drive a few more cars cos if you think the Tucson is as you describe it, you certainly haven't lived.........

You need to go out and test drive a few more cars cos if you think the Tucson is as you describe it, you certainly haven't lived.........

Hyundai have had big success in the SUV market. I don't see the appeal of the Tucson or Santa Fe. Freelander 2 is well worth a look. Nissan also have a new X-Trail out.

Hyundai have had big success in the SUV market.
Maybe the Santa Fe is as good as its rivals, but I drove a Tucson recently and it was the worst car I have ever driven.

Gear box was terrible, dash was awful, engine was non existent, the seats were ..... I could go on but I won't.

Resale on any of the 3 the OP is looking at are terrible.

Also, there is a class difference between the Santa Fe and the other 2

Maybe the Santa Fe is as good as its rivals, but I drove a Tucson recently and it was the worst car I have ever driven.

Gear box was terrible, dash was awful, engine was non existent, the seats were ..... I could go on but I won't.

Resale on any of the 3 the OP is looking at are terrible.

Also, there is a class difference between the Santa Fe and the other 2

what would you recommend so...have bout 25k to spend

Am also looking at the santa fe vs the tuscon...am I right in thinking that a new 2.0 diesel santa fe will cost almost €2k on road tax post july 08??

You should definitely have a look to the toyota RAV 4...it is really worth a look, they are quite economical for SUVs. I have had one last year and it was the best 4x4 i have ever had. I m now driving a Freelander!!! Not bad either!

what would you recommend so...have bout 25k to spend
Taking the 2 Hyundais out of the equation and you are looking at only a diesel, you should get a LR Disco about 2003 2.5 diesel with change.

Nissan Terrano II's also supposed to be good car and the X-Trail are also a good bet as is the Honda CRV.

Rav 4 also mentioned and I would say the Suzuki Grand Vitara is a better car than the Hyundai also and a good few grand cheaper than the Rav4.

The jap import equivalent of the Vitara, the Escudo, is very well equipped and is a smart looking machine.

Test drove the Suzuki Grand Vitara last year and found the gears very stiff to change, it was enough to put me off an otherwise nice jeep. Take out an X-Trail.

Back