Best Irish sporting achiever EVER

Time for a controversial one...Eddie Irvine. Irelands greatest motor racing driver ever. Took no crap from anyone, nearly won the title (in Schumachers absence) but for a messed up pit-stop, but yet people think of him as the laughing stock 'mad Irishman' driver who was only after the best party.

Are you sure?

Ronnie Whelan & Mark Lawrenson of the dominant Liverpool teams of late 70s and 80s may dispute this. And they played in a era with 1 substitute on the bench and only those who played getting medals, not the whole squad of 30+ as during Irwins career.

Ya I'm sure and I don't believe that Irwin spent much time on the bench hence the 'Mr Consistency' title. Irwin was a 1st teamer in his time at united and squads were bigger c.24 players but not everyone got medals unfortunately. Irwin also did it in a time where fitness levels were much higher quality improved also, media exposure ensured more travel and games and last but not least he is 100% Irish.

All of these pale into insignificance when you consider the achievements of Michael Phelps - 11 olympic gold medals (and a couple of bronze), 3 more finals to come in the 2008 games with World Records set in each of the 5 medal winning performances - and he's only 23.
These multiple swimming medals happen too often for my liking. It's not like Carl Lewis winning multiple golds at diverse events.

Swimming - Michelle deBrun (despite spin-doctors, innuendo and begrudgers, she still holds her Olympic medals)
Cycling - Sean Kelly
Athletics - Sonia O'Sullivan / John Tracey / Ronnie Delaney
Field - Pat O'Callaghan
Boxing - Katie Taylor (World Boxing Champion x 2, Irish Soccer International), Wayne McCullough (the bravest performance I've ever witnessed in the amateur game in the the last round of the Olympic final), Michael Carruth, Freddie Teith
Handball - Michael "Ducksie" Walsh
Motor-sport - Paddy Hopkirk / Billy Coleman / Joey Dunlop
Soccer - Roy Keane / George Best
Golf - Podge Harrington (by a country mile)
Rugby - Michael Cameron Gibson (majestic comes to mind, thanks Mike)
GAA - Mick O'Connell (Kerry for the youngsters among you)
GAA - Eoin Kelly (Tipperary)

That'll put the cat among the pigeons

Whats the point of that list? The OP asked about the best Irish sporting achiever ever not the best in each sport. Pick one.

Whats the point of that list? The OP asked about the best Irish sporting achiever ever not the best in each sport. Pick one.

The list is in support of the sentiment expressed in your earlier post -

... It is very difficult to compare competitors from different eras never mind across different sports...

Had you forgotten? :cool:

The list is in support of the sentiment expressed in your earlier post -

Had you forgotten? :cool:

Oh right. Sorry. I fully agree with you. Thought you were cheating at the game whcih isn't fair even if it is an impossible and pointless exercise!!

I agree with a few. Certainly not Michelle Smyth/de Bruin but thats another days argument! Eoin kelly is a surprise for the hurling I have to say.

I was an avid fan of Sean Kelly and Stephen roche when they cycled but you have to wonder about their achievements. Drug cheats have been shown to be very prominent in the tour in recent years and only now is the tour getting itself in order. When Kelly and Roche were at their prime Paul Kimmage complained about the cheats in the sport and was not exactly popular with his fellow cyclists including Stephen Roche who said he was talking nonsense. But time has proven Kimmage right.
Of course Kelly and roche never tested positive so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
BTW do you remember one of the tours when Kellys team were doing really well in all the tour categories (I think he was riding for Panasonic) when the team suddenly all had to withdraw with a bad case of "food poisioning"?

I feel the question needs clarifying.

"On the World sports stage which Irish person has achieved the greatest success?"

AOB is the only person who can claim to be at the absolute summit of his sport on this planet, and by a country mile. All the others mentioned in this thread have done well relative to other Irish people but would not be World Best, except maybe the GAA-GAAs but surely they don't count.

These multiple swimming medals happen too often for my liking. It's not like Carl Lewis winning multiple golds at diverse events.

This is the second olympics where he has won 5 or more gold medals - in swimming terms they would be considered diverse events, many of the competitors are different and even if they aren't diverse it shouldn't in any way take away from the achievement - Michael Johnson 'only' ran, Michael Schumacher 'only' drove an F1 car, Michael Jordan 'only' played basketball well - all are considered sporting greats in a seperate league to anything Ireland has ever produced.

"On the World sports stage which Irish person has achieved the greatest success?"

AOB is the only person who can claim to be at the absolute summit of his sport on this planet, and by a country mile. All the others mentioned in this thread have done well relative to other Irish people but would not be World Best, except maybe the GAA-GAAs but surely they don't count.

The thing is Aidan O'Brien needs good horses and good jockeys to be where he is. So its a combination of all three with him. So credit must go to his jockeys and horses also. Its hard to put that against say Padraig Harrington, John Treacy etc., who have to get out there and do it themselves.

Based on that logic Butch Harmon is the greatest American sports success, as his stable includes Tiger Woods (early in career), Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els, to name the biggest winners!!! A trainer who has no control in the actual event and no where near as much control as the horse or the jockey could never be considered an achiever of a win in his own right.

To answer the simple question, I believe Harrington is by far our greatest sporting success.

To be the best GAA player in Irish history still only means you are the best in a country of 4.5m people. To be a success at a global game puts you head and shoulders above billions... Therefore only international athletes could be our greatest sportsperson.

To be fair in this assesment I think the popularity and participation in a sport is a big factor in it's value. There is no way I could agree with anyone who says a synchronised swimming Olympic medal is comparable with a 100m sprint medal!

Golf is a massivley popular sport - worldwide and thus any victory at a major is comparable with a "big particpation" Olympic medal or World Cup soccer medal. Harrington I believe hit the same bracket as John Tracey, Ronnie Delaney etc. with his first major. To defend his British Open and then win back to back majors puts him in the bracket of a 200m/400m Olympic sprint double in the same Olympics. No Irish athlete has ever gone to that level before.

I exclude Stephen Roche and Michelle Smyth for obvious reasons..

Time for a controversial one...Eddie Irvine. Irelands greatest motor racing driver ever. Took no crap from anyone, nearly won the title (in Schumachers absence) but for a messed up pit-stop, but yet people think of him as the laughing stock 'mad Irishman' driver who was only after the best party.

Nah - you can't put lost titles down to a single event like a pit stop, all contenders suffer problems during the season - whether it happens in the first or last race ultimately has the same effect (e.g. Hakkinen in Monza). Irvine had plenty of luck that season, not least Schumachers accident. He was uncompetitive too many times including being outperformed by 'journeyman' Salo on occasion (e.g. Monza & Hockenheim), as well as requiring a resurrecting helping hand from Schumacher in Malaysia.

He had a task to do on in the final race of the season and he dropped the ball all weekend. He qualified fifth and finished 95 seconds down on Hakkinen (and 90 down on Schumacher) - a lifetime in F1, regardless of what he may have lost in a pitstop.

What about Ronnie O'Brien, he won Time Magazines Person of the Centrury - surely nobody can beat that? :)

Of course Kelly and roche never tested positive so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
BTW do you remember one of the tours when Kellys team were doing really well in all the tour categories (I think he was riding for Panasonic) when the team suddenly all had to withdraw with a bad case of "food poisioning"?

Interesting article from the Irish Times archive here

[broken link removed]

Roche denies taking EPO

By Johnny Watterson and Paddy Agnew

3/1/00: Irish cyclist Stephen Roche, who won the 1987 Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and World Championship, yesterday denied that he had ever used the performance enhancing substance erythropoetin (EPO).

"Never. Never," said Roche when asked directly yesterday if he had ever taken the drug. "I know I can sleep at night. I know in my heart and mind nothing can come back to haunt me because nothing is there. No one can produce anything," Roche added.

"It is sad to see it coming out like this. I know in my mind nothing can come out to hurt me. It is frustrating but there is nothing to say I took EPO. My haemocrit levels (an indication of the number of red blood cells in the blood) were never beyond the illegal limit of 50 per cent. That is the way it is. What can you do? Sean Kelly tested positive twice and his image is still intact . . . whether you take it or not people are always suspicious," said Roche.

Back