Best Irish sporting achiever EVER

The thing is Aidan O'Brien needs good horses and good jockeys to be where he is. So its a combination of all three with him. So credit must go to his jockeys and horses also. Its hard to put that against say Padraig Harrington, John Treacy etc., who have to get out there and do it themselves.
Good point Ash. That's why I avoided calling AOB the best Irish sportsperson. Would you agree that AOB/Coolmore, the team, are achieving far more than that grinding QF bore of Italia '90, and getting far less credit. On individual achievement I suppose I have to give it to Padraig.

Of course he's had fantastic success but as you say as part of a team.
I'm glad you agree Padraig as an individual, then how I wonder does John Treacy fare against Padraig, having put 2 world titles back to back and an olympic medal. Very hard one.

AOB should be looked as a manager/coach as his role has more to do with getting the best out of his horses/jockeys. There is no doubt but that he is world class and probably Irelands best ever person in a coaching role.
For individual sportsman, it is now hard to look past Harrington as he is now a repeat winner at the highest level in a world sport.

AOB should be looked as a manager/coach as his role has more to do with getting the best out of his horses/jockeys. There is no doubt but that he is world class and probably Irelands best ever person in a coaching role.
For individual sportsman, it is now hard to look past Harrington as he is now a repeat winner at the highest level in a world sport.

People could argue with some justification as to whether Golf is a truely global sport. It is still an elitist sport in alot of Countries and not played to a high level in alot more. Not trying to minimise Harringtons achievement. He is Ireland's greatest ever GOLFER but as I said before you can't compare sports.

I feel the question needs clarifying.

"On the World sports stage which Irish person has achieved the greatest success?"

AOB is the only person who can claim to be at the absolute summit of his sport on this planet, and by a country mile. All the others mentioned in this thread have done well relative to other Irish people but would not be World Best, except maybe the GAA-GAAs but surely they don't count.

Except there are so many instances of fixed races etc that its hard to really judge individual trainers. He is a great trainer but the horse is the star in the sport.

The thing is Aidan O'Brien needs good horses and good jockeys to be where he is. So its a combination of all three with him. So credit must go to his jockeys and horses also. Its hard to put that against say Padraig Harrington, John Treacy etc., who have to get out there and do it themselves.
Of course you can put that against harrington, do you think he trained himself. every sport consists of trainers and assistants (caddys) so he can share the glory aswell.

To be the best GAA player in Irish history still only means you are the best in a country of 4.5m people. To be a success at a global game puts you head and shoulders above billions... Therefore only international athletes could be our greatest sportsperson.

Well using that logic Michael Carruth would be the greatest having won gold in one of the truly international sports that is accessible to all levels of society. I wouldn't consider Carruth a greater achiever that say shefflin or dj carey.

Good point Ash. That's why I avoided calling AOB the best Irish sportsperson. Would you agree that AOB/Coolmore, the team, are achieving far more than that grinding QF bore of Italia '90, and getting far less credit. On individual achievement I suppose I have to give it to Padraig.

that grinding bore in 1990 was over one tournament so you cant really compare a lifetimes work against two weeks of soccer.

OK, controverisal as many would argue that it's not exactly a sport, and I guess he himself would argue that he's not exactly Irish, but....

Alex Higgins?

Often wildly inconsistent, yes, but twice world champion, many other titles and arguably the best raw talent the game has ever seen or ever will see.

Well its as much a sport as golf so lets not forget Ken Doherty once world champ and no doubts about his irishness

This is the second olympics where he has won 5 or more gold medals - in swimming terms they would be considered diverse events, many of the competitors are different and even if they aren't diverse it shouldn't in any way take away from the achievement - Michael Johnson 'only' ran, Michael Schumacher 'only' drove an F1 car, Michael Jordan 'only' played basketball well - all are considered sporting greats in a seperate league to anything Ireland has ever produced.
Phelps prob best swimmer of all time. But really, these multiple golds!! On track all races are freestyle. Imagine a race with arms stretched out, a race with arms by your side, a race with arms flapping like a bird etc. etc. How many medals would Carl Lewis have won then?:p

Phelps prob best swimmer of all time. But really, these multiple golds!! On track all races are freestyle. Imagine a race with arms stretched out, a race with arms by your side, a race with arms flapping like a bird etc. etc. How many medals would Carl Lewis have won then?:p

I agree with you.

Of course you can put that against harrington, do you think he trained himself. every sport consists of trainers and assistants (caddys) so he can share the glory aswell.

I know every sport has its trainers etc, on the big day when it all matters it has to be Harrington etc has to get out there and perform and do the tough work.
With horse racing should it not be the horse that is the star of the day.

I know every sport has its trainers etc, on the big day when it all matters it has to be Harrington etc has to get out there and perform and do the tough work.
With horse racing should it not be the horse that is the star of the day.

Well his caddy might argue the point with you further. And I agree about the horses

Horse racing isnt recognised by the Irish Sports Council, so its not officially a sport in Ireland.

qwertyuiop said:
I agree with you.

Lewis won in 2 seperate types of event ONLY - running & long jump. The use of the term 'diverse events' is misleading - 2 not 5 or 10. Plus lets not forget his achievements should be caveated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Lewis#Performance-enhancing_drug_use

Horse racing isnt recognised by the Irish Sports Council, so its not officially a sport in Ireland.

'officially a sport'? You're taking this thread too seriously. Since when did we need the approval of a quango to say what is and isn't a sport?

As the great John O'Shea (of Goal) once said when asked had he any interest in horse racing "horse racing is an industry, not a sport"

I heard the Olympics described as a competition to see which country has the best pharmacists !

So now we know where to place the blame for any lack of achievement in the Olympics ;):D

Back