Barrier Free Tolling - Best Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you pre-register a video account, do you still have to pay €1 per month for admin charges?

Not according to the website - the charges are tied into actually having a tag and with the video account no tag is needed ==> no monthly charge.

It makes sense otherwise why have the video account and why make it more expensive (toll) than a tagged one, if there was a charge you may as well get a tag.

Hi,

First of all I'm going to 'fess up. I am a director of TollTag.ie but I'll keep this straight down the middle and in a personal capacity. We get, I kid you not thousands of emails on the subject and a lot of the same issues pop up repeatedly

second of all check out [broken link removed] this is a little known (as yet) NRA operated site to compare tags and tag providers. One caveat, it has been a few weeks since we updated our info on that site and our site (and I presume the others listed on tagcompare) will probably have more current info but at least it lays out the entire field and saves a lot of googling.

I see from the posts a lot of traffic regarding monthly fee's etc, again tagcompare will shed some light there and whatever supplier interests you, check their actual site for updates but not all tags have monthly fees, similarly minimum topups/balances etc vary

On the question of swapping tags between cars. Unfortunately it is a no-no, not because tag suppliers want to shift tags (we do as it happens) but because the M50 has two systems as you know, video and transponder, the system needs to know has it just read one car or two, the plate helps correlate that info. Technically its a little more involved than that and the road owner is best placed to spell that out but thats the upshot..my advise, don't do it and regardless of the tekky side we have been instructed by the road owner not to permit it. If that ever changes we'll certainly tell you

One other thing of note is that e-trip has acquired easypass in the last week or so meaning there is effectively one less choice of provider assuming they harmonise their operations at some point.

I hope i havent simply added to the 'noise' and perhaps given some of you a route to find out who is out there and what they offer. Sure, tags are not for all, neither is video payment, and when you figure out which of those two suits best then for video there is only one show in town, for tags, several

Tks /P

Thats very informative Philip, and you'll be pleased to hear that your "Pay as you Toll +" seems to suit me the best.

I have a question. We will need to have about 4 tags (but the motorway usage will be low). Will it be €40 top up for each car or can we spread that for all the cars (ie-have to have €160 tied up)?

You have to laugh at some of the websites - I was registering on eflow.ie and clicked on some of the random links at the side of the page. A number of the responses were "This section of the website will be available in August". It makes you wonder, which august?

Has anyone seen it in action yet?

I haven't been following this at all and now that I read the thread am totally confused.

I use the toll bridge very infrequently - maybe 5 times a year and totally unpredictably.

I don't want to sign up for any schemes but if I don't then what do I do? Will there not be any pay station on the bridge and if not then what happens? Specifically where exactly do I have to pay and how much?

This seems mad. Anywhere else in the world I've used tolls there was always somewhere for the infrequent user to queue and pay cash at the toll itself.

Like previous posters, I'd use the toll maybe four or five times a year. So I don't want to register and would rather pay as I go.

As someone asked earlier (but didn't get an answer).... what happens when I drive through the toll to get to Dublin Airport and head off on holiday?
How do I post-pay in that scenario?

From my understanding if you don't preregister you have till 8pm the following day to pay the toll which in this case increases to €3 per trip. There are supposed to be a large number of shops where you can pay (can't find out where) or you can pay on the internet or by phone. If you pay after 8 pm on the following day there is a fine and another fine if it is not payable after about a week. So if you head off on a 2 week holiday you could be facing a substantial fines when you return.

From my understanding if you don't preregister you have till 8pm the following day to pay the toll which in this case increases to €3 per trip. There are supposed to be a large number of shops where you can pay (can't find out where)

Google Payzone

Heard an advert on the radio yesterday for another service - www.tolltag.ie starting this month.

Just had a look at their site, for casual users they offer a tag for €30, and you top it up at paypoints as and when you need it (like phone credit - so no transferring of bank details). The management fee is 10% of the toll charged (e.g. Westlink €2, Tolltag take 20c). Might be another option for the non-regular user of the M50/Westlink?

As someone asked earlier (but didn't get an answer).... what happens when I drive through the toll to get to Dublin Airport and head off on holiday?
How do I post-pay in that scenario?

A post-paid video account (reg. plate recognition)... money taken from your credit card or bank account at the end of each month at €2.50 per toll with eFlow. Paying through Payzone is €3 per toll if paid on time. The tag is the better option if you are a regular user of toll roads as it can be used on all toll roads.

I am a very infrequent user of the M50 and toll roads. I've looked at the options and decided that to register and use the post-paid video option is best for me.

I would register with a tag company if they didn't have admin fees.

It seems to me that the first company not to introduce admin fees will make a small fortune. Consortium anyone? ;)

I am a very infrequent user of the M50 and toll roads. I've looked at the options and decided that to register and use the post-paid video option is best for me.

I would register with a tag company if they didn't have admin fees.

It seems to me that the first company not to introduce admin fees will make a small fortune. Consortium anyone? ;)

You should read the previouse posting from the director of Toll Tag, for low frequency users they have a tag with no monthly administration fees, a cheaper option than eflow's video account.

I fess up to working for a tag company too, but we are in opposition to both Toll tag and e flow. What I find perplexing is how the government is spending all this money (via the National RoadAuthority) advertising just one private company's (e flow) products when there products are not nessicarily the best or the cheapest.

You should read the previouse posting from the director of Toll Tag, for low frequency users they have a tag with no monthly administration fees, a cheaper option than eflow's video account.

I fess up to working for a tag company too, but we are in opposition to both Toll tag and e flow. What I find perplexing is how the government is spending all this money (via the National RoadAuthority) advertising just one private company's (e flow) products when there products are not nessicarily the best or the cheapest.

I have only seen one other advert, and that is for EAZYPASS, how come none of the others are being advertised.

I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is. :D

tolltage seems the best for me. think i heard a radio ad saying you can pick up free tags from centras/topaz's and one or two other places soon. can anyone confirm this?

What are you charged a toll for?

Do you get charged for (i) just for crossing the Westlink bridge or (ii) using any part of the M50? i.e. are you charged if you e.g. drive from M1 to M3 exit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back