Barrier Free Tolling - Best Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

With the toll plaza on the m50 going in august of this year who do forum members believe is best operator to go with with regards to e-tolling

Who are the main operators
Are the all covering all the toll roads around the country or are some only covering certain toll roads
Whos offereing most competitive rates in terms of toll charges and account maintenance charges

Thanks

Sorry to hijack thread, as can't help you with the best provider, but I have questions on the new system and eflow in particular.

I know they have different rates for different means of paying, but what are the hidden costs?

It seems logical to register for the tag, as it is only €2 per pass, however, is the tag free or do you then have to pay a fee for the tag, admin fee etc?

I don't use the toll that much only once or twice a month and it seems that if there is a fee for the tag, admin and minimum top-up etc, it would be better off to just pay without registration.

Does anyone know the deal with this? I.e. what're the hidden fees?

eflow.ie and eazypass.ie both are free to signup - however you pay a starting balance of €40 which sits on your account, you get charged €1 a month (depends on number of tags u have) weather you use the system or not, then when your balance falls to €12 your account gets topped up by €30 in eflow's case and €40 in eazypass's case.

Allegedly from eazypass this fee is for "The monthly account based charge covers the administration and insurance of your tag. In the event of your Eazy Pass tag being lost or stolen, you will be required to pay the first 15, the balance of 25 will be covered by Eazy Pass Ltd."

These are the only charges and are not hidden - you can see them on the signup pages ([broken link removed]) or on the FAQs ([broken link removed]).

Tag equipped vehicles have a lower fee so if you use it twice a month it 'covers' the monthly charge.
[broken link removed]

Don't use the m50 that often Can I get a tag and split it with my father or partners car.

Use it one of the 3 cars when required.

The 1 euro a month is criminal the min balance is criminal.

40 quid for replacement tags is profiteering on an already lucrative business.

They are getting enough interest on the min balances to cover admin.

Can I get a tag and split it with my father or partners car.

No the tags appear to be reg specific, 'cos I had an idea to do the same. Looks like people who only use it the odd time will have to pay the higher charges (€2.50, I think + a call to register ?..not sure about this)

What do you mean by splitting it ???
I have a tag in my car but I often take it with me when we use her car saves the hassle of searching for coins

I got info from Tolltag.ie and had a brief look at it....seems like 2 cars couldn't use the same tag...will be linked with car reg which will be recorded & if caught I guess you'd be in breech of the rules & subject to large fines.
I had the same idea as we only use toll a few times a month,max, so paying the euro lease for the tag between 2 cars seemed worth it, but apparently we can't.
I do like the idea of being able to use it on all the tolls and not having to look for change

You have the option of getting a second tag per household under the one account, however im unsure if this is €2 per month admin fee or still €1. Its disgraceful that you have to pay €1 a month for this service. The amount they will be making on interest with every account having a minimum balance of €30.
A fairer system would be to pay a deposit on the tag which can be redeemed when you close your account

Seems fairness will have very little to with it.

I have borrowed eazy pass tag in the past alwyas worked fine.

As long as they get paid what does it matter

As much as the change is a nuissane it was nice the way the 2 quid was not related to the reg of the car.

Is it true that if the camera cannot read your number plate then you cannot be billed?

Rip Off Ireland
At the moment I pay 4 euros a day for the m50 toll or 72 euros a month or 864 euros a year.
With this new system I will be paying on top of that, a charge to either purchase or lease a tag and the hassle of topping up an account for the tag providers. I am also paying 590 euros road tax a year and approxiamately for travelling to work and back 8 euros a day for diesel( 60 miles a day)

Total for year is 1728 fuel + 864 toll + 590 road tax = 3182 euros!!!

And that is for 1 car, I need 2 for where I live as there is hardly any public transport.

Could the government at least give me an incentive to use the toll free m50. For instance, making the tags free or decreasing cost of toll. I am going to be worse off with the new system.
I can imagine there will still be traffic jams the more the years pass, especially at the m1 junction.
I have another route to work which takes about 15 minutes longer than the m50(on a good day). This would save me though at least the 864 euros toll/year.
I am planning on doing that, now what can I buy for 864 euros?
A nice new lcd tv or 2 flights to the states.
If there are people out there who think like me then the congestion in dublin will increase, increasing pollution, just like the days before the m50.

This government, what ARE they doing, this country is turning sour!!

Rip Off Ireland
At the moment I pay 4 euros a day for the m50 toll or 72 euros a month or 864 euros a year.
With this new system I will be paying on top of that, a charge to either purchase or lease a tag and the hassle of topping up an account for the tag providers. I am also paying 590 euros road tax a year and approxiamately for travelling to work and back 8 euros a day for diesel( 60 miles a day)

Total for year is 1728 fuel + 864 toll + 590 road tax = 3182 euros!!!

And that is for 1 car, I need 2 for where I live as there is hardly any public transport.

Could the government at least give me an incentive to use the toll free m50. For instance, making the tags free or decreasing cost of toll. I am going to be worse off with the new system.
I can imagine there will still be traffic jams the more the years pass, especially at the m1 junction.
I have another route to work which takes about 15 minutes longer than the m50(on a good day). This would save me though at least the 864 euros toll/year.
I am planning on doing that, now what can I buy for 864 euros?
A nice new lcd tv or 2 flights to the states.
If there are people out there who think like me then the congestion in dublin will increase, increasing pollution, just like the days before the m50.

This government, what ARE they doing, this country is turning sour!!

So if you travel 60km a day to work x 44 week year
(Lets be generous) that’s about 13,200 commuting miles a year divide that into your total expense e3182 and that leaves us with 24c a km, that’s not a bad deal. I think we have to get it into our heads that transport is only going to get more expensive. If you live far away from work you are more vulnerable.

As regards the toll, I remember on a recent holiday to France I saw something that left me in shock and awe…. I got charged a toll and the automatic toll booth actually gave me change. Presumably not only to me a foreign motorist but to french citizens too. Anyway if they really wanted to they could charge all motorists but our government always follows the path of least resistance.

Yes, I understand what you are stating, but it is the arrogance of the governnment that they just expect everyone to pay the increased charge whilst not understanding the implications of their actions.
As I was saying, if people will not put up with this and start using alternative routes then congestion and emissions will go up.
They are not giving an incentive and if I could take public transport then I would.

Why is that ? the toll fee will still be €2 if you get a tag.

Because you have to pay for the tag and also if it damages or gets lost a replacement fee. What happens if it just stops working, how can you prove that, so you will have to pay for the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back