Badly dressed Irish

liaconn

I was sitting on a bench at a local shopping centre waiting for someone this morning and it really struck me how Irish people just don't 'do' Summer style. Everyone was red and flushed, wearing baggy trousers, shorts on milky white freckly legs, t-shirts highlighting every bulge. Not one well dressed person passed me by (apart from two lovely Chinese girls). Yet in Winter you'd see lots of beautifully dressed people drifting around. What's wrong with us when it comes to Summer gear?

I, by the way, was looking beautiful and not a bit like all that other lot. :D

I hope you've been blessed with beautiful swarthy skin - some of us are unfortunately genetically doomed to a life of white skin and sunburn! ;)

Although I don't think anyone should be condemned for that - they really can't help it - should they have to cover their white freckly legs?

I hope you've been blessed with beautiful swarthy skin - some of us are unfortunately genetically doomed to a life of white skin and sunburn! ;)

Although I don't think anyone should be condemned for that - they really can't help it - should they have to cover their white freckly legs?

Not cover them entirely, but hot pants u[ to their hips walking around the supermarket? Its up to them of course, but I just wouldn't be seen dead in micro shorts unless I was on a beach as, unfortunately, I don't have beautiful sallow skin either.

In the supermarket earlier I saw a woman wearing a pair of trousers and her knickers were showing over the top, those high cut ones so she actually had a gap between the bottom of her knickers and the top of her trousers. It wouldn't have looked so bad if she had been 20 years younger.

Worst fashion crime in my eye though is skimpy tops and non matching bras so you see all the back and straps of the bra, which is usually not even the same colour as the top.

Unfortunatly, I don't tan well so my milky white legs are usually peeking out of a pair of 3/4 trousers :p

I think people should dress the way they feel like dressing, please themselves and not care what others think. I think generally anything goes now which is great. Don't think you're ever out of fashion no matter what you wear.

Its not about fashion, believe me. I honestly don't think showing off half your bare This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in the Supermarket is a great look.

To be honest, I think some clothes such as micro shorts can only really be worn by models, Californian beach babes and the like. The average Irish woman flip flopping around Tesco at 4 oc in the afternoon, well sorry girls I just don't think we quite cut it.:)

I was sitting on a bench at a local shopping centre waiting for someone this morning and it really struck me how Irish people just don't 'do' Summer style. ...
Other than their lack of "style", what other indications were there that the people you obsererved were Irish?

Had they :

• passports on display?
  • tri-colours stapled to their foreheads?
  • intense conversations "as Gaeilge" on the go?
If their lack of seasonally appropriate sartorial elegance offends your highly developed fashion sensibilities, you could always move away. :D

Other than their lack of "style", what other indications were there that the people you obsererved were Irish?

Had they :

• passports on display?
  • tri-colours stapled to their foreheads?
  • intense conversations "as Gaeilge" on the go?
If their lack of seasonally appropriate sartorial elegance offends your highly developed fashion sensibilities, you could always move away. :D

Well, they were all talking with Irish accents!! They weren't offending me, I was just noticing how badly we dress in the Summer ( I have emphasised 'we' on this thread). Couldn't move away, was resting because I'm just out of hospital and this was my first outing.

Its not about fashion, believe me. I honestly don't think showing off half your bare This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in the Supermarket is a great look.

To be honest, I think some clothes such as micro shorts can only really be worn by models, Californian beach babes and the like. The average Irish woman flip flopping around Tesco at 4 oc in the afternoon, well sorry girls I just don't think we quite cut it.:)

I am sure the Irish women in Tescos that you disapproved of had not expected to have some fashion guru lying in wait.

The idea that larger women have to cover up in hot weather is ridiculous because of their size, just mind your own business and look elsewhere.

So if only models/ beach babes are the ones to wear these items then Penneys/Dunnes/Tesco/No Name etc may stop selling them.

I am sure the Irish women in Tescos that you disapproved of had not expected to have some fashion guru lying in wait.

The idea that larger women have to cover up in hot weather is ridiculous because of their size, just mind your own business and look elsewhere.

So if only models/ beach babes are the ones to wear these items then Penneys/Dunnes/Tesco/No Name etc may stop selling them.

Ah come on would you we all know what op is talking about or are we gone that bloody pc? I myself have had more than one laugh to myself this weekend . I saw one very very large girl walking around with vest top tied up in the middle with a clip turning it into a belly top with rolls and boobs on display! It doesn't offend me it doesn't bother me but it does give me a laugh! The only thing that does bother me is kids walking around burnt to bits and not a hat or sunblock in sight! I shall continue to laugh at the men in socks and sandals this week and the women big and small with their bits hanging out cos at least I know summer in Ireland is here! As for the passport comment..........:rolleyes:

I was talking about this very topic over the weekend. I think it mainly comes down to the fact that we so rarely get sunshine that people don't want to spend the money on summer clothes for fear of not getting the use of them. Or that "the summer" passes in a flash and people are caught unawares. I saw quite a few men wearing their football shorts out and about - and in these recessionary times why would you buy fancy new ones when there's a perfectly good pair that you use for your football training??

It doesn't offend me it doesn't bother me but it does give me a laugh! The only thing that does bother me is kids walking around burnt to bits and not a hat or sunblock in sight! I shall continue to laugh at the men in socks and sandals this week and the women big and small with their bits hanging out cos at least I know summer in Ireland is here! :rolleyes:
Same here. It bothers me a lot to see kids out in the sun with no suncream on, getting burnt, or little babies being pushed along in buggies with no shade of any description over them. In fairness, I dont think the bad dressing is confined to the Irish. You will see the same in many countries.

Would you cop yourself on and get a sense of humour. As I have said, I am talking about 'we' here, not sneering at others while swinging my long bronzed legs in white mini shorts. This thread is called 'shooting the breeze' you know.

I honestly don't think showing off half your bare This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in the Supermarket is a great look.
It depends on the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in question :D

Have some German friends and once when referring to the weather, they said "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes".

As a nation we don't do extremes very well because we don't seem to dress right for conditions.

In the supermarket earlier I saw a woman wearing a pair of trousers and her knickers were showing over the top, those high cut ones so she actually had a gap between the bottom of her knickers and the top of her trousers. It wouldn't have looked so bad if she had been 20 years younger.

I see this all the time. 16 - 60 year olds. Winter/Summer.
I just think it's risibly slaggy.

Worst fashion crime in my eye though is skimpy tops and non matching bras so you see all the back and straps of the bra, which is usually not even the same colour as the top.

But is this not often intentional? A kind of a brassy/trashy 'I don't care/ early Madonna/charity shop' look?

It's like the entire country reached into their drawer and pulled out their shortest shorts and croppiest tops. Have to say that it's great for global warming - all that white skin reflects the rays of the sun back so strip off everyone and do your bit.

I saw several groups of Americans yesterday and - as a more reserved nation generally - they were all in long trousers and proper t-shirts. One was even in a coat (must've been from Florida where here would be the temperature of their late autumn!).

Tips for guys dressing for the sun:
* Shorts = good
* Remove beer belly prior to getting stripped to waist
* Socks and open sandals = arrestable offence

Tips for girls dressing for the sun:
* shorts / miniskirts = good
* check mirror carefully for four-cheek / four-boobs effect created by optimistic over expectation of fitted clothing
* Kaftans/flowy long dresses = tent

Tips for tourists visiting Ireland:
* Dress normally
* Think generously of unfortunate Irish currently in throes of sun fever
* Buy gear locally when it gets too warm to assist national economic situation

Back