Aviva says lowest car Insurance quote available is €280.

Incidentally, I am a holder of Aviva shares. I see online that there is a discount on insurance available to shareholders. Anyone know if this works here in Ireland?

Is there a minimum holding of shares you have to have to avail of this discount and does the minimum premium still apply??

Heard someone say on radio that UK insurance has gone very high.
So used my old address in bishops Stortford, and exact car I currently have (AIG €390), same NCB (max), 500 excess, 15,000 miles, no business use.

Cheapest price on Go Compare was £817!!!! Ouch. Highest price was over £1600.

And it used to be the other way around.

My car insurance is due for renewal with Aviva in mid January. My renewal quote was €350.

I got a quote as a new customer today for €310.

This included a Reduced Excess of €125, Journey Wise cover, Protected NCD.

A saving of €40 by going online as a new customer.

There is still the annoying bit, where I have to upload details of my existing NCD to them even though I am already insured with them. There should be an easier way to do this? (maybe just quote my old insurance details).

I also have to remember that Aviva will not automatically link me (as a new customer) with my wife's car insurance already with them, nor my house insurance already with them. I have to remind them of this as the other insurance products come due.........and to remember that I can get free travel insurance when you have a couple of policies with them that includes house insurance. This is not provided automatically...you have to apply for it.

A bit of work for a saving of €40?

I got a quote as a new customer today for €310.
Is it possible to get a lower offer than €310 with Aviva. I am a shareholder with them and I was told by the Aviva team here in Dublin that I was not entitled to a discount for being a shareholder.....despite knowing that people have received a discount.

My own quote was for €310 so I didn't pursue the shareholder discount claim.

Having been insured with Aviva for the last 5 years I have now switched to Zurich.
I got a quote from Zurich for less than Aviva for the same cover.
The minimum policy with Zurich is 285 euro.

The minimum policy with Zurich is 285 euro.
My good wife got her renewal with Aviva for the lowest €310. Looking through her quote and I see that her insurance is actually €240 with all the discounts....but they have added back in €70 to bring her insurance back up to the minimum amount of €310.

Anyone else get lower quotes than €310 Aviva or € 285 Zurich?

My good wife got her renewal with Aviva for the lowest €310. Looking through her quote and I see that her insurance is actually €240 with all the discounts....but they have added back in €70 to bring her insurance back up to the minimum amount of €310.

Anyone else get lower quotes than €310 Aviva or € 285 Zurich?
If she can't get a lower quote and stays with Aviva, she could add in extra cover to get value for the 70 euro. Maybe protected no claims bonus, lower excess or open driving.

Hello,

Should this figure not have reduced further in the last year or two, given less high payouts in personal injury cases etc. ?

If she can't get a lower quote and stays with Aviva, she could add in extra cover to get value for the 70 euro. Maybe protected no claims bonus, lower excess or open driving.
All included in the €310, except for the JourneyWise cover.

Should this figure not have reduced further in the last year or two, given less high payouts in personal injury cases etc. ?
The €310 minimum is annoying and I agree that Aviva need to look at this again.

Tried to get a quote for my wife online from Zurich and after inputting lots of personal information about myself and her this is the message I got.

"We’re sorry, but based on the information that you’ve provided, we are currently unable to offer you a quotation online."

Pain in the backside. Now they have all our information.

Most of us couldn't be bothered to phone them after inputting all the information at their invitation. Lots of other insurers about.
Pity that.

They will phone you back if you input basic data and get an online quote.
When they call you, then give all the correct relevant details and they will quote over the phone.

Log into their on line quote site through the link on Onebigswitch and you will get an extra discount.

I got a quote over 100 euro cheaper than the online Aviva quote.

Would buying a small amount of shares on Trade Republuc quality you for the shareholders discount? How much is said discount?

If the online quote comes in at the minimum level it is worthwhile adding extra cover to see if this results in an extra charge. Quite often no extra charge will apply as the new quote is still below the minimum level. You could for example, improve your no claims bonus protection.

This isn't the case with Allianz. They bring the "basic" quote (inclusive of levy) up to €283.50 first and then add the extras (e.g. no claims protection, windscreen, comprehensive, breakdown assist) on afterwards.

I had the same with Allianz recently, my basic policy only came to €195, so they upped it to their minimum €283.50 which included the government levy and then added on optional extras, the final figure for the cover I wanted was €334.

Many extras are standard with Aviva, and the cover I wanted worked out at €307, so the minimum €310 applied.

Allianz renewal documents give the last 5 premiums paid with them, I had the full no claims discount 5 years ago and nothing has changed since other than me and my car being a year older every year. My premium has dropped each year from €430 five years ago, down to €334 this year with Allianz. Premiums do appear to be dropping for some anyway.

Just a tip. We have two cars with Aviva. Usually renewed as "new" customer insurance every year because it is cheaper than just paying the renewal.

Got my home insurance renewal recently. About €100 dearer than last year. On close examination I noticed that they had not linked our car insurance to our home insurance renewal. Same every year. Rang them up and with the loyalty discount now given and a discretionary discount also applied the €100 disappeared.

Back