Aviva says lowest car Insurance quote available is €280.

I renewed my car insurance today, was with Aviva - they quoted €441.51 for renewal.
From reading this thread I tried Allianz online quote which did come in at €284 as stated as being the cheapest on their website. I added a few more items and paid €326.13 for renewal - overall saved myself €115.38 just for reading this topic.

I found the Allianz website system a lot better than Aviva - I renewed another household car with them earlier this year and it was so buggy (back in May/June), but I was a bit surprised that windscreens were not covered with Allianz automatically. Maybe I would have saved even more if I did more shopping around, but there is a lot of work even just getting one quote, especially with a couple of named drivers etc.

Well done - nice to hear of people saving on foot of this thread and shopping around.
but I was a bit surprised that windscreens were not covered with Allianz automatically.
I've noticed that many insurers have been making a virtue out of unbundling cover for certain things from their base policies but then charging more for them when added back in. On the one hand it's welcome to allow users to select only those options that they need but on the other not when they seem to be using it as a way to squeeze more out of punters that do want/need the "optional" add-ons... To be honest I'd be happy to pay for the most basic TPFT cover but when I'm hitting the minimum premium and I can get comprehensive for it then it's a no brainer to take it.

Last edited:
The extra windscreen cover for a €10 was with comprehensive cover but I agree, and you describe it very well, unbundling.

Aviva last year: €310 (comp + one named driver)
Aviva renewal this year: €371
No change in circumstances other than another year on the NCD and car/individuals' ages.

Going in as a new customer on their website gives in or around the same as the renewal - marginally lower.

AIG with no named driver, max voluntary excess (€750) plus NCD insurance: €304 (their minimum premium is €299.60).
So bye-bye Aviva, hello AIG...

I have to insure my young adults next. Have been with chill for the last few years. Renewal is quoted at 927.25 so any other insurer I could try this year (and one off the kids has 3 points this year!)

I have to insure my young adults next. Have been with chill for the last few years. Renewal is quoted at 927.25 so any other insurer I could try this year (and one off the kids has 3 points this year!)
Just try them all, or as many as possible, online and then maybe even phone a few and/or a broker or two.

@ClubMan - similar story for me, but a higher difference. Lat year €398 and this years reneawl quote - an eyewatering €680. Online as a new customer brought it down to €620'ish... so yeah Bye Bye Aviva !
So bye-bye Aviva, hello
Got it this year, direct with Zurich for €400.

Just try them all, or as many as possible, online and then maybe even phone a few and/or a broker or two.

This is how I got on

22 yr old, little 5 yr old car, worth about €12K, 3 penalty points, 2 years NCD
Additional drivers, 25 yr old sibling and myself. No points, and I have my own car.

Renewal from chill was €937.35 - and they had not included the penalty points
I got a quote from chill online and it came down to €862.24
Its4women €1460.78
Missquote - unable to quote online
Supervalue - €1173.23
Liberty Insurance €633.64

So I went with Liberty €300 over renewal quote.

This is how I got on

22 yr old, little 5 yr old car, worth about €12K, 3 penalty points, 2 years NCD
Additional drivers, 25 yr old sibling and myself. No points, and I have my own car.

Renewal from chill was €937.35 - and they had not included the penalty points
I got a quote from chill online and it came down to €862.24
Its4women €1460.78
Missquote - unable to quote online
Supervalue - €1173.23
Liberty Insurance €633.64

So I went with Liberty €300 over renewal quote.
I presume that this policy is in their own name with you and the sibling as named drivers?

For what it's worth, I found that playing around with the data could yield savings depending on the insurer. E.g. some give a discount for a named driver, others penalise it etc.

I've been shopping around as my insurance is due soon. KennCo coming in far cheaper than anyone else, for me anyway!

I've been shopping around as my insurance is due soon. KennCo coming in far cheaper than anyone else, for me anyway!
What underwriter just out of curiosity?
As ever it's difficult to know a priori who might be most competitive in a particular case given the difference in underwriting and actuarial criteria etc.

They appear to underwrite themselves. They have KennCo Underwriting Ltd. T/A KennCo Insurance

I had a dealing with them on a a claim a few years back, such a horribly frustrating experience that even if they quoted my half the price of others I wouldn't touch them.

I had a dealing with them on a a claim a few years back, such a horribly frustrating experience that even if they quoted my half the price of others I wouldn't touch them.
Oh, really? Thats interesting to know. Did you get it worked out, eventually?

Oh, really? Thats interesting to know. Did you get it worked out, eventually?
It wasn't big money and after months of chasing I just gave up. I still kind of regret not pushing harder but life is just too short.

She did and did get a significantly better deal online as a "new" rather than renewing customer. So, price walking is still alive and kicking? :(
Same experience here with 123.ie. Premium last year €360, renewal quote €434, quote as a new customer €370.

Same experience here with 123.ie. Premium last year €360, renewal quote €434, quote as a new customer €370.
All perfectly allowed under the legislation as it was enacted. The legislation is a very watered down version from what was originally proposed.

Reactions: Leo
I am presently with Aviva for car insurance. Last year it was €310 as new customer but €382 on renewal. So, I made the phone calls, did the quotes as new customer etc. and had it reduced from €382 to the €310. Also got included Journey Wise cover, Reduced excess, Protected NCD at no extra cost.

One year later and the circus starts again. My renewal for next year is €350. Journey Wise Cover is quoted as an extra €12, Reduced Excess is quoted as an extra €21, Protected NCD is quoted as an extra €45. These extras are included in the €350 renewal.

Next step is to get an online quote as a new customer and see if I can get the premium down to €310 with the extras above included.

Every year the same story.

Back