Appropriate approach to someone driving at 90kph in the middle lane of the Naas Rd?

'Driving lane' has been used a couple of times in this thread.

So if someone is undertaking in the inside lane, thereby going fastest, is this then the 'fast lane?'

'Fast lane' is the incorrect term to use, they are, of course, all fast lanes.

Obviously. I meant outside of this thread in general use. When people use a term in a thread there's a tendency of replies to re-use to keep in context. I've never heard driving lane before. Can you find any reference to it out side of this thread? Seems to be a US term, that used to describe a lane you can drive in, or are driving in. Also a lane in a car park. Maybe its been shortened to just lane over the years.

Your query wasn't was "fast lane" technically correct. But why people use it. Being correct has got nothing to do with it. You use to hear it a lot more, but has fallen out of use. On average the outside lane is going to have the highest average speed, the inside the lowest. So its a sweeping generalisation.

Is there really any point in taking things so literally?

For what it's worth
-the Naas Road is a dual carraigeway so the rules for motorways do not apply ....
Uncle Gaybo when writing his little book seems to use the terms "two-lane motor-way" and "dual-carriageway" interchangeably and AFAIK the same rules apply.
Why do people use the term 'driving lane?'

they're all driving lanes aren't they?

'Fast lane' is another one that's used quite often.
Uncle Gaybo's little book, used "inside lane" and "outside lane" to describe lanes on two-lane motor-ways or just Lane 1 and Lane 2.

I used the term "driving lane", as in it is the lane you should be driving in unless you are overtaking (the other lanes 2 & 3 are overtaking lanes).

Assuming we have two adult, law-abiding, responsible and fairly competent drivers, the following is the ideal scenario:
  • Driver "B", realising he is gaining on Driver "A", indicates right and moves into Lane 2 when it is safe to do so.
  • Driver "A", observing her mirrors, sees a car behind her in Lane 2, indicates left and moves to Lane 1 when it is safe to do so
  • Driver "B" passes Driver "A" safely on her right and when it is safe to do so, indicates left and moves to Lane 1.
Simples. All done calmly in a controlled fashion and all within the speed limit.

Of course if either or both of the drivers is not law-abiding, responsible and competent, anything is possible, including some of the illegal and dangerous manoeuvres described in the thread already.

[LATE EDIT: I forgot to say that if there is slower-moving traffic in Lane 1, Driver "A" can stay in Lane 2. Driver "B" must then use Lane 3 to overtake her, moving back to Lane 2 when it is safe to do so.
I can only suggest you take up your issues with Uncle Gaybo, the Guards and ultimately the legislators.

We now all that.
This thread is about slower moving cars in the second lane. Suggesting that a driver in the inside lane should move across two lanes in order to pass the car in the second lane (rather than just stay where they are, at the speed they are doing) is incorrect and dangerous.
There is no way anyone has ever been stopped by the police for staying in the inside lane and driving within the speed limit, thereby passing a slower moving car in the second lane. Therefore there's no need to take it up with anyone.

Why do people use the term 'driving lane?'

they're all driving lanes aren't they?

'Fast lane' is another one that's used quite often.

No they are not all driving lanes....

Lane 2 and Lane 3 are Overtaking Lanes

Lane 1 is the Driving Lane

In relation to the OP question, that's wrong information.

On a dual or triple carriage way, the middle lane, and on triple ones (Naas Rd), the outer lanes are driving lanes. How else could traffic turn right off a dual carriageway? On motorways, traffic generally exits off to the left. However, common sense would dictate driving on the inside lane whenever possible.

On motorways the outer lane is the overtaking lane.

No Garda will prosecute for overtaking on the left provided the driver did not join that lane explicidy to overtake-in which case that's undertaking, and illegal.

On a dual or triple carriage way, the middle lane, and on triple ones (Naas Rd),

It's not a triple carriageway. It's a dual carriageway with 3 lanes in each direction. There is a median down the middle which splits the carriageway into two - hence dual carriageway!

...No Garda will prosecute for overtaking on the left provided the driver did not join that lane explicidy to overtake-in which case that's undertaking, and illegal.

I say speed is a factor . I don't think they'd like you just staying on the inside lane doing 100kph passing everyone on the inside. Whereas a slow steady overtake, might be ignored.

News to me. I can't see Lane 1 or inside lane referred to as 'driving lane' in the rules of the road either. I'm open to correction though.

My "Rules of the road" Page122 is quite clear and Lane nearest central reservation should be used for overtaking only.
It must not be used by goods vehicles over 3,500 kgs., passenger vehicles with seating for more than 8 passengers, or vehicles towing a trailer horsebox or caravan.
This is never enforced. Bus Eireann is constantly infringing this and also the maximum speed of coaches is 80km/hr without standing passengers and 65km/hr with standing passengers.

On a dual or triple carriage way, the middle lane, and on triple ones (Naas Rd), the outer lanes are driving lanes. How else could traffic turn right off a dual carriageway? On motorways, traffic generally exits off to the left. However, common sense would dictate driving on the inside lane whenever possible.

On motorways the outer lane is the overtaking lane.

No Garda will prosecute for overtaking on the left provided the driver did not join that lane explicidy to overtake-in which case that's undertaking, and illegal.

You should only enter lane 2 or 3 (depending on road) to overtake or enter a right turn filter lane. You should not sit in this lane just because you intend to take the next right turn a few km's down the road. STAY LEFT APPLIES in all cases

News to me. I can't see Lane 1 or inside lane referred to as 'driving lane' in the rules of the road either. I'm open to correction though.

Rules of the road state that you must keep left unless overtaking meaning that lane 1 is always the driving lane and all others are always overtaking lanes

Rules of the road state that you must keep left unless overtaking meaning that lane 1 is always the driving lane and all others are always overtaking lanes
I'm aware of the rule, it's the term 'driving lane' that I haven't come across before.

There is no way anyone has ever been stopped by the police for staying in the inside lane and driving within the speed limit.

I've seen cars pulled on the Naas Road for doing just that. Funnily, I've never seen anyone stopped for cruising in the middle lane.

I'm kinda surprised I survived to my current age with all the apparent nut-jobs that seem to travel our roads, waiting to pounce on innocent, law-abiding (even if a bit doddery) drivers.

I got a few unexpected quid into the kitty lately and I was thinking of buying a motorcycling bicycle of some sort. I might wait a while longer and invest in a Hummer, armed of course to get me through Newland's Cross on my next trip to the Shmoke. :eek:

I'm kinda surprised I survived to my current age with all the apparent nut-jobs that seem to travel our roads, waiting to pounce on innocent, law-abiding (even if a bit doddery) drivers.

I got a few unexpected quid into the kitty lately and I was thinking of buying a motorcycling bicycle of some sort. I might wait a while longer and invest in a Hummer, armed of course to get me through Newland's Cross on my next trip to the Shmoke. :eek:

If you ever get one of these please post a picture.

I'm fascinated. :)

armed of course to get me through Newland's Cross on my next trip to the Shmoke. :eek:

I'm not sure what you'll need - construction will probably start on the NX freeflow interchange in the next couple of months. :)

I've seen cars pulled on the Naas Road for doing just that.
Are you saying that you've seen cars driving along in a relatively clear inside lane being stopped because they didn't move out to pass a slower moving car in the middle lane?
I'm no talking about a car that undertakes (enters the inside land only to pass a car in the outside lane).

At least part of the reason there are so many middle-lane hoggers is that Irish drivers generally are a big bunch of ignoramuses. If you try to do the right thing and drive in the left lane, when it comes time to move into the middle to allow merging traffic to join, those already in the middle lane will close the gap to stop you moving in front of them - so it's far less stressful to just sit in the middle lane and let everyone else overtake/undertake/whatever they want. Contrast this with the UK where drivers are so much politer and lane driving is generally observed - you indicate and shockingly, someone will courteously let you out; vehicle move safely into the middle lane to let merging traffic in; there is less outer lane hogging because drivers know that they will be permitted by other drivers to move in and out of lanes as required. Even the always-busy M25 is a haven compared to the ignorance on Irish roads.

Back