Another round of Energy price cuts on the way ?

Yes, they said any time I change plans it'll start a new 12 month contract from that day.
Fair enough if they are willing to give you the best rates available. A few years ago I wanted to add my wife's name to our account with Airtricity and they wanted to charge a €50 fee as they classed it as a new contract.

Do you have to have smart meter operating ?

I don't believe so.
Yuno requires a smart meter and they also charge you an estimated month in advance. They requested one for me, but then SSE Airtricity offered me 20% off variable rates so I returned to SSE Airtricity. But the smart meter letter arrived 2 weeks ago and an installer came and installed it last week. Suited me fine as I'd had issues with meter readings in the past.

Yuno requires a smart meter and they also charge you an estimated month in advance. They requested one for me, but then SSE Airtricity offered me 20% off variable rates so I returned to SSE Airtricity. But the smart meter letter arrived 2 weeks ago and an installer came and installed it last week. Suited me fine as I'd had issues with meter readings in the past.
Do you need to go on a smart plan? Also can you sign up without having a smart meter?

Do you need to go on a smart plan? Also can you sign up without having a smart meter?
My mother recently signed up to Yuno without smart meter. They wrote to her saying they added her to priority list for smart meter, but presumably she won't need to sign up for smart meter plan.

She was caught off-guard by paying an estimated month in advance, but we've been submitting meter readings weekly, so the estimated bills have adjusted accordingly

My mother recently signed up to Yuno without smart meter. They wrote to her saying they added her to priority list for smart meter, but presumably she won't need to sign up for smart meter plan.

She was caught off-guard by paying an estimated month in advance, but we've been submitting meter readings weekly, so the estimated bills have adjusted accordingly
So you can become a customer of them without having a smart metre in place! Thanks for confirming this as it wasn't really clear elsewhere. How is she finding them to deal with? I've seen people complain about the estimates been too high.

So you can become a customer of them without having a smart metre in place! Thanks for confirming this as it wasn't really clear elsewhere. How is she finding them to deal with? I've seen people complain about the estimates been too high.
Yes, the 1st estimate was too high, and gave her a shock. But when she submitted meter readings through the app, they adjusted it within a few days.
No problems so far, good prices, easy to use app. However she is in a fixed price 12 month contract, and prices seem to be falling, so perhaps there will be better deals out there.

I'm still waiting for an energy supplier to give me a good deal.
A 12 month fix price deal is great when prices are rising, but awful when prices are falling

Yes, the 1st estimate was too high, and gave her a shock. But when she submitted meter readings through the app, they adjusted it within a few days.
No problems so far, good prices, easy to use app. However she is in a fixed price 12 month contract, and prices seem to be falling, so perhaps there will be better deals out there.
Thanks for the info. What's the penalty for breaking out of the fixed price contract? It's usually €50 with other suppliers.

Just renewed with electric Ireland. Initially offered 14% reduction but i pushed them considering new customers are getting 24% and ended up walking away with 22% reduction.

Their rates are reducing on Friday so im on 27.95 for electricity and 9.36 for gas

Are the following rates with BGE fairly okay?

Elec 37.36 less 25% = 28.02 cent ex VAT

Gas 11.33 less 25% = 8.5 cent ex VAT

The rates i posted above are inclusive of VAT

Elec 25.64 exc VAT 27.95 inc VAT
Gas 8.59 exc VAT 9.36 inc VAT

Bord Gaís with 30% discount - contract ends Oct 2024
I seem to remember you mentioning that BG was offering a 30% discount at the time
but when I looked online I could only find 15% to 20% was all they were offering me
I subsequently got the Black Friday Deal of 25% off standard rates

Was It a new customer contract or were you an existing customer and if so were you a customer of BG for 3 or more years??

I've been a customer of Bord Gaís since 2018 - prior to that I was with ESB, Airtricity, Electric Ireland for various periods of 1 - 3 years

Since 2018, whenever I renewed, Bord Gaís offered me enough of a discount that I stayed - not out of loyalty but because the price was correct at the time. But it really is annoying having to spend a few hours once a year to stay on the best tariff.

One of the agents calls to the house (!) just before renewal and we have a quick discussion but I am prepared and have the competitor's offers in front of me when negotiating. Never takes long

I've been a customer of Bord Gaís since 2018 - prior to that I was with ESB, Airtricity, Electric Ireland for various periods of 1 - 3 years

Since 2018, whenever I renewed, Bord Gaís offered me enough of a discount that I stayed - not out of loyalty but because the price was correct at the time. But it really is annoying having to spend a few hours once a year to stay on the best tariff.

One of the agents calls just before renewal and we have a quick discussion but I am prepared and have the competitor's offers in front of me when negotiating. Never takes long
Thanks jpd
The reason I asked was I wasn't been offered that level of discount and was wondering if it had anything to do with the extra level of discount that BG offer customers who have been with them for three or more years
Do they itemise the level of discounts on the invoice or is it just wrapped up in the single "Affinity Deal" discount??

Back