Another round of Energy price cuts on the way ?

On RTE 1oc news their headline mentioned about annual charge also reducing with Bord Gais but it was not covered in their main item or by their M.D. when he spoke later in the programme so remains to be seen.

Bonkers does not yet take account of the Board Gais new rates, but for me anyway I think SSE Airtricity will still be the best value as an above average gas usage customer for dual fuel variable rate with a standard meter.
Also worth noting February is still a high usage month for the gas boiler, SSE Airtricity's new rates kick in on 01st Feb, Bord Gais new rates only kick in on 29th Feb.

Unless Energia come up with a great offer this month, I will be going to SSE Airtricity.

On RTE 1oc news their headline mentioned about annual charge also reducing with Bord Gais but it was not covered in their main item or by their M.D. when he spoke later in the programme so remains to be seen.
It's an 8% cut on the standing charge.

If you were with ENERGIA (15% Rural discount) is what they will offer to keep you.
Only if you move say to YUNO, will you get email from Retention team (I got one 7 days after joining YUNO).
"As part of your 14-day cooling off period, you can still change your mind about switching providers.
If you would like to stay with us, please call us today and we’ll also provide you with a
FREE Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen worth €99*"

When you finally get through to Retention team, they can offer 20%.

As I didn't want the Google Hub, the maximum €50 cash back.
Apparently, although YUNO customer care said they were not telling me whole facts and could offer up to €200 cash back and 25=6% discount). Impossible to find the truth. )

Anyways - so here is the figures for 20% ENERGIA (incl VAT) that are ONLY available through the RETENTION TEAM. I have a number for them.
0818405405 (This is the team in between customer service and the retention team).

30.47 Non Smart (from March 1st RURAL)
32.94 Non Smart from now and will back date to start of contract. and then SWITCH to smart rate once handover takes place.
31.00 24hr smart now
28.68 24 hour Smart from March 1st.

Energia is VARIABLE PRICE
YUNO is FIXED PRICE

If you were with ENERGIA (15% Rural discount) is what they will offer to keep you.
Only if you move say to YUNO, will you get email from Retention team (I got one 7 days after joining YUNO).
"As part of your 14-day cooling off period, you can still change your mind about switching providers.
If you would like to stay with us, please call us today and we’ll also provide you with a
FREE Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen worth €99*"

When you finally get through to Retention team, they can offer 20%.

As I didn't want the Google Hub, the maximum €50 cash back.
Apparently, although YUNO customer care said they were not telling me whole facts and could offer up to €200 cash back and 25=6% discount). Impossible to find the truth. )

Anyways - so here is the figures for 20% ENERGIA (incl VAT) that are ONLY available through the RETENTION TEAM. I have a number for them.
0818405405 (This is the team in between customer service and the retention team).

30.47 Non Smart (from March 1st RURAL)
32.94 Non Smart from now and will back date to start of contract. and then SWITCH to smart rate once handover takes place.
31.00 24hr smart now
28.68 24 hour Smart from March 1st.

Energia is VARIABLE PRICE
YUNO is FIXED PRICE
Do you know if this Non Smart 20% Energia discount applies to customers who are STAYING on 24 hour tariff for the next year?

I note that suppliers only offer fixed rates when prices are falling :)
Mostly. Flogas came out with a fixed rate at the start of last year and people that jumped on it got a decent benefit for 9 or 10 months as rates did not fall until the final quarter.

Electric Ireland now offering 24% discount to switchers. Brings rate to 27.2c after March reductions and inc vat. 1c higher than Yuno, but further expected reductions would apply as its variable.

Wonder if they'll offer same to current customers - checking now.

18% discount offered as a current customer - refused to do any more. But it literally took 2 minutes. 29.4c unit rate incl vat from 1st March.

Last edited:
Electric Ireland now offering 24% discount to switchers. Brings rate to 27.2c after March reductions and inc vat. 1c higher than Yuno, but further expected reductions would apply as its variable.

Wonder if they'll offer same to current customers - checking now.

18% discount offered as a current customer - refused to do any more. But it literally took 2 minutes. 29.4c unit rate incl vat from 1st March.
Thank you, one phone call two minutes and down to 29.4c

1800372372 (these guys put me through to loyalty team)

Last edited:
It would be exceptional if you didn't and the €50 breakage fee would most likely apply.
Thankfully they don't charge breakage fee, they also said they could give an €50 off as a bonus if I was happy with night boost plan but I opted for the 24 hour rates, I had night boost and found myself washing/drying clothes at all hours!

Very happy with the savings thanks to this AAM post!

Thankfully they don't charge breakage fee, they also said they could give an €50 off as a bonus if I was happy with night boost plan but I opted for the 24 hour rates, I had night boost and found myself washing/drying clothes at all hours!

Very happy with the savings thanks to this AAM post!
Are you saying you have switched providers and not being charged €50 ?

Sorry, I should have been clearer/added more details.

I signed up to Electric Ireland 12 month contract July last year, I changed plans last month with Electric Ireland, after seeing above today, I called them up and got additional discount as previous poster. (They have a €50 break fee if you switch to another provider while under contract)

Sorry, I should have been clearer/added more details.

I signed up to Electric Ireland 12 month contract July last year, I changed plans last month with Electric Ireland, after seeing above today, I called them up and got additional discount as previous poster. (They have a €50 break fee if you switch to another provider while under contract)
Did they make you start a new 12 month contract from last month?

Back