Annoying colleagues

I hate the baby bores as well and from working in the HSE for years I have had to listen to a lot of this. One day I just bit the bullet when asked if I wanted to look at a scan belonging to some girl called Mary (I didn't know Mary).

So I went "Who's Mary"?

"Oh she's works in section A." (the complete other side of the building in a section that I have no dealings with).

"Mary started there last year just after she got married to Pat, Katheens cousin...."she 15 weeksr" and on and on it.....

As I was none the wiser, not knowing who Pat or Kathleen were I answered "no I'm fine thanks".

Haven't been asked since.

Wedding talk and what colour cushions they have in the living room also drives me nuts.

Thankfully I have my own office so don't have to listen to this type of stuff anymore.

I have a colleague who's typical day between 9 to 5 involves reading paper between 9 to 9.50 making personal calls/emails, doing crossword and card game on computer and surfing the net. goes to lunch at around 12.35 till 2 and also making countless cups of tea during day. He does work at times he is not doing the above.

Hard to get motivated some times when you see this going on.

I could write loads on this topic!

Another colleague is a baby bore - all she talks about are her children. When I announced that I was leaving the job (after four years) and moving on she said "when?" and I said "August" and she said "oh, (insert childrens names) have summer camp in August...very expensive...blah blah blah..all their friends are doing it... blah blah...aren't children great...blah blah". Didn't even ask me where I would be going next!! And still hasn't asked me about it weeks later! And yet I know what her kids want to be when they grow up, what her kids have for breakfast, what her kids like, don't like, etc....
Oh yes I worked with one of those. No matter what topic was up for discussion it somehow was brought around to her kids and away she went!
I think most of my 'pet hates' are mentioned here already, in particular those who spend more time talking about how busy they are rather than actually doing some work. I also dislike when people treat others differently depending on their perception of how important people are or how 'useful' they might be to them! I once worked with a real 'brown nose' and he was so bad-mannered to junior staff while brown-nosing those who were senior or 'important' in his eyes.

I can't forgive tell-tale-tattlers, those who don't have the cojones to come to me with their problem, but are quite happy to email my boss, or worse still, their boss. You know who you are, and you know that I haven't forgotten. I'll be back.....

1) Brown-nosers.
2) Bull**** artists
3) Managers who are taken by the aforementioned
4) Team-members who don't share knowledge when asked as they feel it makes them irreplaceable (Hint: It doesn't, it makes you hated)
5) Whining Maggots
6) Backstabbers

Thats it for now, but I'm sure I'll remember more...

those who are always rushing around looking busy and flustered and important

My father managed a farm years ago and there was a guy like this working there. He was constantly walking to and fro around the place, always with a different implement in his hand. One day Dad had enough of it, gave yer man a pick and a shovel, pointed to a rather large courtyard and told him that there was a broken water pipe somewhere in there that needed to be found.

One week and a pretty sizeable hand-excavated crater later, my boyo quit.

Are you an electrician?

Doubt it, he surely can't type while holding a placard.

She would certainly not get away with this more than once with me.

One warning, and then she would get a very, very nasty shock that she would never forget.

We're working on it, eventually if we give her enough rope she'll hang herself..as the saying goes. Meantime the rest of us are aware and so we look out for each other. I'm on holiday at the mo but I went in today to help another girl because this other one did something to make her look like she couldn't cover a job I usually do.

Jasus, where do you work?! Do people really carry on like that?

The job itself is ok, it's just this one person that makes some aspects of it a pain. There is so much more I won't even put here because it would be classed as libel should the wrong person read it. Suffice to say, I take care of my job and help those who help me.

I used to think it was because my job is classed as "menial" and therefor will attract this sort of mindset in it's workforce. Reading some of the stuff people in offices are dealing with I'm accepting I am wrong.

In my other job I had a boss who was terrible at returning calls. One night he called me at 10pm to apologise for not calling me earlier as promised but he would call first thing the next day :rolleyes:

He didn't!

(this didn't really drive me nuts tho')

I work for a company full of drama queens and whose solutiuon to any crisis/issue is to have a conferance call on it. I then get to listen whilst some little .... rattles on about something that if they actually stopped and thought about it they could fix themselves in 5 minutes. Hate that, although it's great for catching up on what's happening in AAM.

As a manager my favourite one of all time was the South Dublin Princess who dropped something on the floor and then told her supervisor that she "didn't do picking up".

Also have a thing about people who design a new spreadsheet to report something that is already in another spreadsheet if they's stop and actually take the time to read the blasted thing.

Doubt it, he surely can't type while holding a placard.

You beat me to it! :D

Another one by the way:

People whose first reaction to a crisis, rather than trying to find a solution, is to work out who is 'to blame' for it.

Drives me mental and is indicative I think of a guilty conscience - why would they be so intent on ensuring that they are not seen as the guilty party - if there even is one? :rolleyes:

there's so much i wouldn't know whre to start. Having my workload doubled because of my colleague's total ineptitude would be first.

Then her manner of dealing with customers: either cold and downright rude or OTT in your face friendly (comes across as slightly psychotic)

She cannot be corrected. If there's a problem or a mistake, it's either someone else's/ the equipment/technology's fault. I don't bother trying to correct her any more.

She seems overly concerned about everyone else's wages and what they get paid for. If we were paid based on our input/performance she would actually OWE the company.

i'm getting wound up even thinking about her now..:(

People who get people who work for them to make them tea/coffee or perform other menial tasks. It’s disrespectful and lazy. Nobody is employed as a tea maker, if you want a cup make it yourself.

People who come up asking you questions to an email you have sent with all the answers.

I respond "RTFE"

----Read The F*^king Email----

I share and office with a girl who will ring her mother. Then Brother to recount the conversation she just had with her mother. Then one of her sisters will ring to talk about said conversations. Next she rings her other sister to "keep her in the loop". They all live within a mile of each other.

Other annoying things she does include, making a clucking sound when she is concentrating, drumming her fingers constantly, her inability to talk at less than 500 decibals when on the phone, or best of all her singing,very loudly. Sometimes it's limited to 5 second bursts of "opera" or one time she treated us to an almost full length rendition of Can't Get You Outta My Head, complete with finger clicking, clapping, desk drumming and dancing.

I am at times glad I am on a 3 day week!

had an unusal one in a former job, a boss quite my senior in years, rank etc etc who seemed to be somewhat
a) threatened by my existence (though I wouldnt be an empire builder type and no question of "toppling" this person)
b) insecure

This manifested itself by them wanting/needing to be told how great they are (which I draw the line at), or me having to listen to them talking down to me (partly my own fault I admit, my normal instinct would be to be defernential enough to those my senior).

Other than that the list went on (more usual stuff), brutal communicator who could talk in riddles and meaningless analogies to the point of mass confusion instead of spitting out what they wanted to say, abdicator of responsibility when the excrement would ocasionally hit the fan (regardless of who's, if anyone's, fault), never the solver of a problem but well able to shout the odds that the onus was on the subordinate to fix it, wannabe snob (might launch into a speech about their appreciation of art or wine without any encouragement) or explain about how they would also buy the best of everything - I say wannabe snob because a real minted person with high brow tastes wouldnt explain all this to you, you'd be able to observe it (thats why real snobs are less of a pain than wannabe ones).

Lucky enough I've only had one such boss ever, and it did show me how transparent behaviour is, so I can see (I think) my own follies and know they are obvious to others. I, of course, am perfect ....... (but seriously, anyone who'd deliberately try to mess up a colleague would want to get a life, & probably some therapy!!).

I used to have a real 'Holy Mary' type of boss years ago. She was totally pious and at the time of the Divorce Referendum, left "NO" pamphlets on all our desks.
Star Wars (remastered) was out at the same time and I cheekily had a scrolling screensaver with "May Divorce Be With You" :)

That went down well :D

People who can’t take criticism also annoy me. I learned early on in my working life that the first thing you should ask yourself when someone criticises your actions/ behaviour is “Are they right?”

I also get annoyed by people who don’t apologise when they are in the wrong/screw up, especially if they are the boss.

People who can’t take criticism also annoy me. I learned early on in my working life that the first thing you should ask yourself when someone criticises your actions/ behaviour is “Are they right?”

A lot of that can depend on how the criticism is delivered - sometimes its delivered in a manner of victory (always amazes me at how some people are ecstatic to find someones else's mistake) whereby they'd like the offender to drop to the floor & grovel - most people (no matter how wrong) take offence at this.

Whereas if its delivered as matter-of-fact this needs to improve/change then theres no excuse for not acknowledging the error/problem and commiting to improving, & to totally buck at such criticism is a bad sign & exacerbates problems (their attitude now the issue, having replaced the original source of the criticism).

I've also seen it go the other way - the criticism is further confirmation to the offender of their unsuitability for the job/general worthlessness, they'd volunteer for public flogging if everyone agreed it would help. Hard to re-hab these people too but a bit more rewarding as its a co-operative thing, just beware becoming a counsellor.

I hate the baby bores as well and from working in the HSE for years I have had to listen to a lot of this. .

Also can't stand people who use their kids as an excuse to get out of anything they don't want to do and expect everyone else to put themselves out to facilitate them.

Back