Aldi, Lidl, Prices & Consumer Boycott Day

Re: location

Details of Aldi's Irish locations are available . They're in Parnell Street in case you're near Dublin City Centre. Unfortunately Lidl don't seem to have a non-German web site yet. I know they're in the Blanchardstown Centre.

Re: location

Aldi and Lidl are very interesting, in my opinion.

I was skeptical that they would win over the brand-loyal Irish shopper. A similiar business model had been tried before in the 80s with Giant and H. Williams, and didn't seem to succeed in the long run.

I also thought that the Irish are not as price sensitive as, say, the Germans.

However, the expension of Lidl, and less so Aldi, shows that I have been proved wrong. They appear to be very successful.

BTW, Aldi is short for "ALbrecht DIscount", as it was started by the Albrecht brothers in Germany decades ago. I'd say Lidl is some sort of split from Aldi, as they share 3 letters.

The Lidl stores around the country all seem the same, i suppose to cut down on development costs.

As to where they are, there are (I think) 2 Lidls and 1 Aldi in Dublin. Then Lidl have at least another 20 stores, mainly in provincial towns. Galway, Longford, Mullingar, Edenderry, Letterkenny, etc., etc. The huge ads in the Indo include a list of stores.

The Lidl's I've been in sold beer and spirits. I was a bit surprised to see a low-cost operation paying 50-100 K for a pub licence.

Contango10

thanks

Thanks guys.
Must check out Aldi next time I'm in town.

Unfortunately, I'm never really out Blanchardstown direction for Lidl.

Re: thanks

There was a good article about Aldi & Lidl in the Sunday Tribue business section a couple of weeks ago.

The Lidl's I've been in sold beer and spirits. I was a bit surprised to see a low-cost operation paying 50-100 K for a pub licence.

Surely an "off-licence" licence is not the same (and more to the point, the same price) as a pub licence?

Off licence

It does indeed cost the same, both licences being (subject to a court application) pretty much interchangeable.

Price sensitivity in Ireland

Contango10 says:

. . . the Irish are not as price sensitive as, say, the Germans.

I couldn't agree more.

It astounds me the prices that people pay over here for many services. Take gas or cable TV even - I've found them to be ridiculously expensive here compared to the UK.

But more pertinently for many AAM contributors and viewers is the huge rates that Irish banks charge for mortgages.

Being a current BOI, and one time EBS, mortgage holder, I'm flabbergasted that there wasn't a huge public backlash here last year when the ECB started to cut interest rates, and these rates were not passed on in full to consumers. In the UK, Abbey National tried this some time ago and received a huge amount of negative publicity.

I sometimes think, that even after the Celtic Tiger has lost it's roar, we as a people are too quick to accept poor service and value.

Here endeth the rant

Re: Price sensitivity in Ireland

Ooops ! Sorry ClubMan, I forgot to add the end quote, has been amended.

Re: Price sensitivity in Ireland

A thousand apologies : these new glasses are just not what they should be !!!

It was Contango10, of course. I'll make the change !

pub licences

This should be a new thread, and move it to one if you can.

Clubman, I am very interested in cartels, competition, etc. MOB is correct, you need the same licence whether the alcohol is for consumption on or off the premises.

And the number of pub licences is fixed. So for each new Lidl or Aldi off-licence, a pub (or another off-licence) must close somewhere else.

The value of licences fell last year as licences were allowed to be transferred around the country. Prices fell below €100k. To be more exact, urban licence values fell and rural licence values rose, and they equalised, as all licences can now be moved anywhere.

However, I read that values are now rising, with more demand from Convenience stores, supermarkets, and petrol forecourts. So for every Spar with a new off-licence, an existinf licence must be transferred. I assume a small country pub usually closes and sells the licence.

The taxi and pharmacy cartels have been tackled, the publicans are next. But will it ever happen?

Contango10

No to Boycott

No to Boycott we are under enough pressure as it is

Kilcoyne

"If pricing doesn't improve fast, the consumer can flex their buying muscle by responding to our call to boycott retailers and service providers. Consumers have to show that they will not tolerate this treatment.

"Let's just wait for the outcome of our meeting with the Tanaiste on October 14 first," said Kilcoyne.

Copy from Sunday Business Post Sep 22nd.

Anything happen?

Boycott?

Perhaps the approaching budget will be enough to encourage a restraint on ones financial expenditure??

S

Lidl Quality

I don't find the Lidl qualty to be poor. Certainly their nappies and baby wipes are superior to any other brand, and half the price. Their special offers on toys and electronic goods are excellent value.

It does concern me that so little of the stock is manufactured in Ireland. But my pocket speaks louder than my heart on this one.

My Boycott

I've been boycotting everything since my last post above on Oct 2nd, including all food and water. I've lost three stone, and the Doc tells me I'll be first to go after 70 days. How are the rest of you doing?

His Boycott

I'm hanging in there Paddy and thanks for asking. You shouldn't have wasted your money on those damn doctors though. you havent really missed much, nothin moves fast round these parts. The title did change a few days back that was quite an event. I don't think they are going to have a boycott although I have heard of a contingent going to France to learn how to 'boycott'. There are weekend courses illustrating how to pour Beaujolais Nouveau down the drain, and dump turnips on the Champs- Elysees, so spare yourself, we may need you, call off your hunger strike.

BTW Padraig, you're not Kilcoyne by any chance?

Back