Aldi, Lidl, Prices & Consumer Boycott Day

T

Tommy

Aldi, Lidl, Prices & Consumer Boycott Day

Will there be support in this country for a Boycott similar to the Greek experience.

Local Chinese I've had it. Price gone up four times since last September. Instead of weekly I now purchase one take away a month.

A cup of tea for €1.70 I said no thanks.

I'm not a winger but I'm absolutely disgusted with the greed that has overtaken us in this country and I have decided to make a stand.

Captain Boycott

Re: Boycott

I see little value in a once-off exercise like the Greeks. If people simply shift their purchasing from one day to the next, this won't really impact the vendors.

However, your actions with your local take-away are likely to be quite effective. They may be even more effective if you simply let them know what you are doing & why you are doing it.

Boycott

Hello Captain,

As a matter of interest. How much is a 'typical' dish in your neck of the woods?

Chinese Takeaway

Beef in Hot Garlic Sauce with chips and a half portion of Chicken Balls costs me €8.20 in my local in Dublin 9.

Boycott

hi captain - if you're not a winger, what position do you play?

Consumer Boycott

Shaggy, would you feel threatened in some way by a consumer Boycott?

Peter

Ordinary people

Yes I would support a consumer boycott if it is arranged. I would not make any purchases on the designated day and I would not defer purchases to another day. Ordinary people are growing impatient with the inflated price rises of everyday necessities in this country!

Re: Ordinary people

According to Uncle Eamonn hairdressers, restuarants, bars, doctors and dentists have been cited as the worst culprits for price hikes rather than supermarkets. OK, it would be difficult to boycott your doctor but I would support a boycott on the other groups.

Sarah

boycott

Sunshine, typically €7.20 was £3.70 last Sep. So I suppose its a 53% ish increase. Although its not bad compared to price you are paying but then you are Dublin centre and I'm in the sticks.
Shaggy, thanks for the laugh!

Re: boycott

I understand that the Greek boycott was introduced in reaction to a perceived increase in prices due to the introduction of the €?

There is also a perception of price increases due to the introduction of the € in Ireland. However, I am not aware of any systematic study to show that such an increase took place. (I am aware of lots of anecdotal evidence of people saying that their barber is ripping them off).

Ireland has the highest inflation in the Eurozone thanks to the fact that we are the fastest growing economy. Which would you prefer? Boom time prices or a slump and slump prices?

The great advantage of the € is that we can now compare prices much more easily in the different countries and, where we are being charged more, we can ask why. In many cases, indirect taxes will account for a lot of the difference.

Brendan

laugh

no problem, captain b, though peter didn't seem to get it ... ah well.

Re: laugh

Price hikes were not invented on 31-12-01. Prices have been rocketing for years, because of increased business costs and increased consumer demand.

Its naive to believe that retail businesses can absorb constant increases in costs (e.g. rent and wages) without having to pass these costs on to consumers in the form of higher prices.

Although people are complaining about inflation, nobody seems to be interested in doing anything practical about it. There was no controversy whatsoever about the 1% rise in the standard VAT rate in last year's Budget. People are calling for more tax increases in the old reliables of drink, cigs and motor fuel in this year's Budget. The National Minimum Wage is also increasing sharply from 1st October, yet nobody has mentioned the obvious fact that (whatever about the undoubted merits of a minimum wage for those on low-pay) all these moves are inflationary.

On a micro level, people still prefer to pay €3.50 for prepacked sandwiches in Dublin newsagents than to pay €2.20 or €2.40 for the same sandwich made to order at the deli counter in the same shop. We all know UK-sources goods will be more expensive due to the uncompetitiveness of Sterling, yet we all continue to shop in Tesco while Euroland alternatives of the same quality are freely available in Lidl and Aldi.

Typical Irish solution - if we make a big, brash "Aren't We All Great People Altogether" statement for a single day, we think the problem will go away.

Tommy
www.mcgibney.com

Hi Guest

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I would not make any purchases on the designated day and I would not defer purchases to another day<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Can you tell me more - Specifically, what purchases would you eliminate?

Chinese

My 2 regular chinese restaurants in Rathfarnham offer most main courses for a reasonable 5.80 Euro (£4.56),last year it was £4.30.No complaints about that but a certain popular pub in the same area has seen a steep drop in Saturday lunch trade after a number of price rises this year.A few of us used to meet every Saturday lunch hour for a bite to eat and a few drinks but rarely go now,no more than once a month.Judging from last Saturday others have decided the same as the place was dead at 2.30 in the afternoon.Pre Euro main courses were about £7 (dear for pub grub), now they are around $10.50 (£8.26).A pint of lager now costs € 4.25 (£3.34),pre Euro it was £2.85.
Obviously price rises are inevitable but theres no doubt some people have gotten greedy.
One other example...last Friday night at an excellent game of football in Tolka between Rovers and Bray I bought a cup of coffee from the mobile vendor.Pre Euro it was £1,now its €2!!.Judging from how little they were selling the price hike must be surely counter productive.

Boycott pubs

I've boycotted city centre pubs and taxis.

I rarely go to my local either. I now buy tins of drink from Tesco, and drink them in the house.

Boycott

Another Person,

Is'nt drinking at home rather like washing your feet with your socks on.
Having a drink in a pub is much more than quenching your thirst. Its a social meet the people thing. You dont get that at home watching the Simpsons with a couple of cans at your feet.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that off-licences are just as adept as their publican cousins at increasing prices...

People

I'd rather go to the pub, but I simply can't afford it. I can certainly live without the social aspect.

Boycott

I don't know if we Irish would have the togetherness and determination to arrange a successful boycott?

S

Is that a gauntlet I hear hitting the ground?!

Back