Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Hi corcaigh2008 and everyone,

For those of you interested in what other areas may been being offered I just wanted to say that, although I am not buying an affordable home, I was offered social housing in Castletreasure, Donnybrook Hill yesterday by letter. I would assume that means that the AH element will be offered shortly as well.

Dear Jawood,
Just saw your post congrats on the offer hope you are very happy. The houses in Castletreasure look fab

Hi Suzy,

Got my keys last Friday, plumber came straight away and fixrd the problem I had with my boiler. So full steam ahead now so I can move in. Will probably be another few weeks, but I dont mind. Just so happy to have finally got my keys!!

Thats Great! You must be thrilled. It took us around 4 weeks to move in. It all depends how fast the tiler and stuff comes.

Hi deemull,

Thanks we are delira!! Its a bit smaller than where we're living at the moment but it will do us grand - touch wood we will be very happy, the area is great and the houses look lovely. We won't be getting the keys for a while so haven't been able to have a good nose around inside yet. As I'm posting I just wanted to reassure all of you who are purchasing your homes on estates that will have social housing that not all tenants of social housing will be troublesome or undesirable. We are a two parent family with three children and, due to a number of reasons, we are not able to buy a house. We have had to rent privately for years so have been unable to save up for a deposit, the usual vicious circle!! We have been on the housing list for 3.5 years and now that we have a social house we can get down to some serious saving and either buy the house we will be moving into in Castletreasure or somewhere else. We are very quiet and are just happy to get on with it and keep ourselves to ourselves!!
xx Jawood

Suzy,

Ya, Im over the moon! The wait was defo worth it, I just love the house, cant fault it. And will hopefully be in there around the 4 weeks mark myself!

They were def worth the wait alright. Have you much of your furniture and stuff got?

Suzy,

Yip, Iv ordered pretty much all of my furniture, hoping to put them off a bit more delivering them cos I want my floors etc down. But Im pretty much on top of things I reckon. I must get onto Bord Gais, and the ESB to change over the account to my name. Ill do that today, Iv no power in my house....

Oh yeah ours was the same. The esb normally take a day or two to come out and I think its €90 reconnection fee. Bord Gais is fine you just have to change it over to your name. They do ask for a deposit of €200 if you set up a direct debit or €400 if you just want to pay in the post office or something.

Can I do all that over the phone, setting up the direct debit? I want to do that for both. Ill feel awful having the tiler in and no electricity for him! Im sure he's gonna start this week. Its fairly straight forward tho is it, just a matter of ringing them both?

Yea you can do it all over the phone. Will the tiler be able to do without the electricity? Our guy needed the elec before he came.

Hi Guys,
Glad to hear ye are both getting places with the houses.
I am just wondering after ye viewed your houses did the council pay to have any of the items on your snag list done???
I've been offered Heron's Wood but the council have said that anything that shows up on the snag list is in our own hands, is this the norm???

Hi Saucystunner,

It was the same story with us but I know the builders did fix problems with peoples houses.

Hi corcaigh2008 and everyone,

For those of you interested in what other areas may been being offered I just wanted to say that, although I am not buying an affordable home, I was offered social housing in Castletreasure, Donnybrook Hill yesterday by letter. I would assume that means that the AH element will be offered shortly as well.
Hi Jawood

well done on the house... can you let me know what the process was. A housing officer called to me on Monday out of the blue to update my file, is this the norm?

Hi , Guys!! I am new here i just found out about this page yestarday, i was offered a house in greenfields couple weeks ago! I was wondering if some one could give some references about the area, is the houses is to small for a family to live?

Help, thinking of applying for affordable grant, not sure whether to look for my own site or an actual house in estate, anybody got ideas or recomendation

Back