Aer Lingus flight times changed

TLC

We booked flights for the rugby weekend in Edinburgh on 22nd June for next Feb departing at 10.40. We recd a change email to 7.00 pm which is annoying. On ringing Aer Lingus a few minutes ago I was told that not only is there a schedule change from 10.40, but that they now only have 1 flight to Edinburgh that day at 7.00 pm. The usual quote when I asked them - refer to terms & conditions etc. And I was also told that they only have 1 flight that day at 7.00 pm. I find it VERY hard to believe that they will have only 1 flight on rugby weekend. Has this happened to anyone else? The website had flights on this morning departing at 10.40 & when I said this to the call centre she said that although it was on the website if I went to try & book it it wouldn't allow me to do it - I must have a try. No wonder they are losing money treating customers like this!!

Just tried to book the flight on their website - it did allow me to go thru to the credit card page - I was afraid to try any further in case they charged me. Just to let you know the flight had gone up to €374 the one we booked was €148 - maybe now I know the reason, somebody didn't realise it was a rugby weekend!

Just had the same email but I'm flying from Cork. The return leg has been changed for 12.45pm to 9.05pm on Monday (Feb 28th) but there is loads of availablility on their website for the 12.45pm flight!
When I rang I was told there is a problem with the system and to ring back this afternoon.
Sounds like they are pushing the early bookers to a later flight to cash in on the rugby crowd.

We're flying from Cork also & our return leg changed the same as yours Mucker Man - if you do ring this afternoon would you let us know how you get on, it would be interesting to know.

Update

I rang Aer Lingus back and they said the afternoon flight back to Cork on Monday (Feb 28th) has been cancelled and replaced by the 9.00pm flight.
I told her I didn't believe her and I would keep an eye on there website as I think they will fly as many people as they can on as many flights as they can on the most popular weekend of the year in Edinburgh.

She did offer me a refund, change of date or a change of airport!!!

Just checked their website again & the flights are still up & the timetable has not been changed. If it isn't changed by tomorrow I'll contact them again - we were also offered a refund. I agree that it is unbelievable that there will only be 1 flight from Cork on the Friday & 1 flight from Edin on the Monday - but I am quoting the information I got from their customer service person

What they're doing sounds totally outreageous and there's no way you should let them get away with it. If necessary, you could go on Joe Duffy and create a stink about it.

Homer

What they're doing sounds totally outreageous and there's no way you should let them get away with it. If necessary, you could go on Joe Duffy and create a stink about it.

Homer

+1

What seems to be happening here is an outrage.

What's to stop an airline cancelling anyone's flights to squeeze a bigger fare out of them?

I never thought I'd say this...talk to Joe!

This is unbelievable behaviour and from what I can see is being done to benefit the company alone.
Agree with the 'talk to Joe'!!

I have just emailed Joe, something I thought I'd never do!
I will ring Aer Lingus in the morning again and ask them to change the flight back.
I will update again after speaking to them in the morning.

It's in your booking T&Cs that flight times may change and that you are entitled to seats on the new flight or a refund in that situation.

We're going to Edi for the game also and while I have match tickets and the hotel booking sorted for months, no flights will be booked this side of Christmas. Will prob fly into Newcastle and drive up...having flown into Edi and Glasgow in the past, Newcastle was actually the most fun...and economical way to get to and from the game.

It's in your booking T&Cs that flight times may change and that you are entitled to seats on the new flight or a refund in that situation.
The thing is they have not changed the flights at all. They are bumping early bookers so they can price gouge other people.

Update
Just checked the website again & the flights from Cork at 10.40 on Fri 25th & return on Mon 28th still showing as available - hope this is featured on Joe Duffy show. Maybe I should email the show myself - what do you think? (I also never thought I'd be saying this!!)

In this case, I would not accept a change of flight like that, even if not going to match you loose the first day over their.

operated by Aer Arann- The flight is operated by Aer Arann which is one of the smaller planes(Could they not put bigger plane on instead and ringfence bookings already made at the price people paid)

As you say, still on website, If not going ahead, It would have been taken down overnight

If it is true and Aerlingus are just moving people on to a later flight- Who ever is behind the move should hang their head in shame.

Good luck to anyone fighting this move

I just spoke to one of Joe's researchers, and sent them the flight details and changes.
He is going to ring Aer Lingus and ask them to explain themselves.

Update to follow

Mucker Man - well done! I think I'll email them also - anyone else out there??

Please see RTE's reply below.
They will not be persuing the story.

Hi Mark,

For the moment, I’m afraid, we’re not going to pursue your story for Liveline. I appreciate you getting in touch and there does seem to something unusual about Aer Lingus’ approach here. From our perspective, though, it’s a less clear-cut story than the versions of this story we’ve heard on the programme before: the fact that your new flight is actually more expensive on their website than the old one; and the fact that the change in flights didn’t immediately follow the announcement of the match fixture, make the suggestion of foul play less obvious and the story more difficult to explain.

Thanks for getting in touch though, Mark.

I'm going to contact the consumers association because the Fri 10.45 & Mon 12.45 flights are still showing up on the website & for every other Friday in January & February. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back