Aer Lingus - can't generate a boarding card

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am flying from Birmingham to Dublin on Sunday with Aer Lingus.

I have successfully used the Advanced Check in and paid £5 to select a seat.

When I click on generate a boarding pass, I get the following :

Not Found

The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.

There is no link anywhere to a site administrator to refer this to.

It's very frustrating.

On the Consumer Show on Tuesday night, a customer with a complaint against Aer Lingus was unable to make it by phone or by email. It is so wasteful of time.

Brendan

Hi bazer

There are two options

Ordinary check in - up to 30 hours

Advance check in - 30 hours to 30 days - but you must choose a seat, the cheapest of which is £5.

As I am not sure if I will be near a printer within 30 hours of Sunday's flight, I chose the Advance check-in option.

Brendan you can use the kiosk check in at the airport. You just need the booking reference.

Just a note did you book the retun seat also? Not just the outgoing?

This happened to me a while back and I went to the airport early and to the AL enquirees and they printed the BC for me for free. Any chance you can try re-checking in ?

Have you tried to generate your boarding pass again in Manage My Booking -> Check-in online -> Advance Check in . You get an option to Reprint your boarding pass here. I know of someone who had a problem initially generating a boarding pass but was able to reprint it there...

Just use the kios in the terminal. There are loads of them. Just scan your passport and type the first 3 letters of yourdestination. Takes less than a minute to do.

Brendan you can use the kiosk check in at the airport. You just need the booking reference.

Just a note did you book the retun seat also? Not just the outgoing?

Thanks

I am going out with Ryanair and that worked very smoothly - no additional charge for advance booking.

I will try the kiosk in the airport. I hadn't thought of that.

Brendan

Air France have this problem all the time. Simply use the kiosk at the airport, works all the time.

It is never an issue getting a boarding pass at an Aer Lingus desk, I often check in and don't bother printing as I know i can pick it up at the airport (on the other hand, I detest the RyanAir checkin, over-complicated, over-officious and peppered with scare tactics). I don't know that you would be able to print out your boarding pass from Birmingham unless you are flying that day but as it is an advance check in it certainly seems possible. If not, there will be no issue picking it up at Birmingham. Have you considered using the mobile check in option? It works fine for a smart phone or a tablet computer, you can supply either a phone number or an email address to receive the boarding details.

Oh and I never bother with the advance check in, given that I am not restricted to having a printer to hand to print the pass it isn't a concern.

Ryanair charge 60euro to check in at the Airport. You must print your boarding card 4hour before your flight.

Aer Lingus Bag check in

I was recently in London, via Aer Lingus.

On returning I realized that my bag had gained a lot of extra weight. I had my online check-in done when I remembered to check in the bag.

The system would not allow me to check-in the bag online.
I then had to pay double the charge - £24.00 to check in the bag in Heathrow.
Good to be aware of this. Browtal

Caught by this, yet again.

When I click on Web Check-in I get

Server Error

This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling your request. The most likely cause is a misconfiguration. Please ask the administrator to look for messages in the server's error log.
In case it might be Firefox, I tried Internet Explorer and got

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500 Most likely causes:

• The website is under maintenance.
  • The website has a programming error.

I found the same thing using Firefox but when i changed to Google Chrome it worked

Unbelievable.

This is happening to me yet again.

Advance Check-In Error

We are experiencing a problem with generating boarding passes for your booking. Please retry.
You can print the boarding passes from the 'Check-in Online' option under 'Manage Booking' on the homepage.
If error persists contact our Help Desk and quote the error number.
Our Helpdesk telephone number is located in the contact us page.

Tried it in Chrome and got the same error.

I don't know if this helps, but it's really easy to go to T2 at DAP, check in and they'll give you your boarding card. T2 is so empty that the staff are vying for your attention! I assume you're talking about our National Carrier (oops, maybe not anymore). I'm using the old Windows 7 Home Edition, and I have to say I never have any technical problems with stuff like this.

Thanks Eithne

Actually it's a one way flight back from Birmingham, so I am not sure about the availability of terminals. In any event, I like to have everything sorted long before I go so I am not facing problems or queues in the airport.

As it happens, I have just logged on and have printed the boarding pass without any problem.

Brendan

Back