Advice for review with bad attitude employee

remey

Hi,

I'm carrying out employee reviews, most will be fine.

One staff member in particular has a very negative attitude, always whinging etc. He just about does his job under his job description but will never ever go the extra mile, stay late (by late I mean 10 mins) and will log off at lunch and back in again after 1 hour regardless of how busy we are or what needs to be done, always last to answer the phone etc. We're small and with annual leave we've really been pushed to our limit.

How much of this can I say at a review? Its hard to change an attitude and he probably thinks he has a great one.

Any advice?

Thanks

One staff member in particular has a very negative attitude, always whinging etc. He just about does his job under his job description but will never ever go the extra mile, stay late (by late I mean 10 mins) and will log off at lunch and back in again after 1 hour regardless of how busy we are or what needs to be done, always last to answer the phone etc.
He sounds like he sin't the only one with an attitude. You're joking right ?

sounds just like me! So he does what you tell him, starts punctually and finishes when his working day is finished. I'd expect it to be a favourable review for him!

He sounds like he sin't the only one with an attitude. You're joking right ?
How so? There has to be give and take in a small business. That's the nature of the beast. I thought the "work to rule attitude" was a thing of the past. It seems I was wrong.

sounds just like me! So he does what you tell him, starts punctually and finishes when his working day is finished. I'd expect it to be a favourable review for him!

Does he get his work done and does he do what others do around him, is he pulling his weight relative to the people he works with. That's the issue.

If he turns up when he's ment to, does his work and leaves when he's entitled to what's the issue. Unless there are incentives for him to do above and beyond his role. I know where I work we are graded depending on our "attitude", attention to detail, willingness to go the extra mile etc. For this we get a bonus. If we just do our job so to speak we still get a good review but our bonus is affected. Its our own interest to above and beyond if we want more of a bonus. Thats what the incentive is all about.

Hi,

I'm carrying out employee reviews, most will be fine. One staff member in particular has a very negative attitude, always whinging etc. He just about does his job under his job description but will never ever go the extra mile, stay late (by late I mean 10 mins) and will log off at lunch and back in again after 1 hour regardless of how busy we are or what needs to be done, always last to answer the phone etc. We're small and with annual leave we've really been pushed to our limit.

How much of this can I say at a review? Its hard to change an attitude and he probably thinks he has a great one.

Any advice?

Thanks

Besides the whinging, what exactly is he doing wrong? What does he get if he goes the extra mile? Is he not entitled to take his lunch break?

In the last place I worked I went many extra miles, missed plenty of lunches, stayed late or started early every day, answered my phone, your phone, everyones phone!! And I got nothing for it, then one day the powers that be decided to get rid of my department and there I was, out on my ear with absolutely no one to care that Id gone all the extra miles. Id never do it again unless I got something for it. Clock in, do the job, clock out. End of. No one cares if you go the extra mile. They only care if you dont.

I'd be inclined to agree with the majority, although as already stated I don't know what the whinging is about or how it effects others.

If the guy has a job description / role definition and he does what's defined or described there then he Always Meets Job Requirements,; whinging aside, that's a very favourable review.

If there is an unwritten or unspoken expectation that to get a favourable review he must Always Exceed Job Requirements, then that is pretty sneaky on the review system / reviewer's part.

Is this guy being used in a role that allows him to use all of his his capabilities? Is he over-qualified for the role he currently has or has he previously worked at a more senior level in another organisation (maybe a bigger one?)

You can'r give the guy a bad review, but you (or maybe someone else) need to get to the bottom of whatever seems to be bothering him.

Ok maybe I've been too vague...

I've had complaints from 3 staff about him also, about the fact that he will rarely answer the phone only when nobody else is or I shout for the phone to be answered. He will always keep one item in his tray and when he's asked to do something he refers to his item that he needs to do.
When he hangs up from our customers (not the end customer) he will regularly give off using all sorts of language where others will say to him just relax.

We need the Internet every so often for work and he was always using it personally and switching over when I walk back in to the room. The other staff members complained that he is browsing the Internet while they are up to their eyes getting work done. I challenged him and he said he wasnt so I got a monitoring package in place for a month and the first day I got the results it showed he had been on the previous day for 4.5 hours. We possibly refer to the Internet 7 or 8 times a day to do checks so it wasnt for work. He showly cut down the time but I know as soon as I leave his view he's sending epic emails (not for work, I can see them on his screen from my desk) and browsing again. I only had a month trial on monitoring, I thought it would be sufficient.
He practically grunts if he is asked to do anything and will never ever offer to help anyone else out or get something else done if he's quiet.
His attitude is effecting others. He recently was off for a week and most commented that we were a happier bunch in his absence.

He is paid a decent salary with additional 25% bonus. Last year he received half his bonus. Even though we're a small company (10 staff), they treat us very well thankfully. We regularly have nights out fully paid, lunches paid for the odd time and we've all been told on a couple of occassions to have a meal out with the other half or whoever, keep the receipt and work will cover it. At Christmas time we're very well looked after.
I think its fair that there's some give and take and that some will go the extra mile when required. I'm not expecting anyone to waive their lunch hour on a regular basis by any means but when you're short staffed one particular day and an unprecedented workload I thinks its fair to ask someone to cut their lunch in half and give an extra dig out here and there.

It is very hard to work with people with attitude, unfortunately with todays employment laws 'attitude' is not considered a problem. I for one would prefer not to share a workplace
with such an individual.
With employment scarce today such a person is a burden on everybody - he must be a happy individual - he must be nice to live with to. Browtal

Thanks for clarifying your original post. An employer is entitled to see emails being sent and received by their employer so if he's using the work email for other purposes he can be warned about it. (If he uses gmail/webmail then that's a problem). you need to clarify all hours he spends on the web and give warnings on it.
But, are you sure that you are just not listening to others who have a gripe against this guy and may be clouding your judgement ? Quite often someone can give a bad first impression that seems to last for a long time.

Thats a totally different situation to what you indicated in your original post!

Why did you keep him on when you discovered the level of internet access?

Why is he not getting a warning for not answering the phone if its part of his job?

I think your real issue here is not his job review which no doubt happens only periodically, but his day to day management. In your situation I would take the hard line and follow up on him daily for a while until he either gets the message or gets himself fired.

From your more recent post it seems you are not the overall boss, what does the overall boss say about this?

Why do you keep the guy on at all?

Do you have an Internet policy for the workplace?? I would suggest that without such a policy then use of the internet is open for abuse. If a policy is in place and employees disregard the policy then there are grounds for a form of action ie termnation of contract, probation period etc.

I agree with the post about having an internet policy because if he is using the internet and there is no policy then he may have a defence so draw one up quicksmart and circulate it to everyone. I think most organisations will be flexible in allowing people do personal stuff on the internet but it has to be done during lunch time or after hours, same should apply to personal emails.

With regard to things like the phone, use of bad language, if it is something you have witnessed then you can bring up and say that it is not acceptable. I presume you work as a team and this should be in his contract - so it can be brought up what you have observed about his team work. Do not say that people have complained about him unless they are prepared to be named - often people give out but dont want the person to know and then you can't do anything.

You obviously had issues with him in the past if he did not get all his bonus - how did you manage that?

There are plenty of open source proxy servers (internet filtering) available that do not cost anything to purchase and can be installed by whoever supports your IT.

OPENDNS - configured from router

or

CENSORNET, ENDIAN, UTANGLE - all you need is an (old) PC with 2 network cards.

I think you got a guy here who just does not want to be where he is. Of course, that is if you are telling the truth. Taking your first post and your subsequent post it appears to me that your performance needs to be reviewed. The other staff are suffering while you play your fiddle to the dosser's tune. But, there are two sides to every story and we have not heard that of the alleged bad attitude employee.

I believe formal staff reviews to be a load of monkey-dung. Many managers seem to review staff on their appearance, punctuality and ignore the output. Instead of praising, managers are hell bent on finding faults and then finding more faults. Perhaps it is part of their ego trip? Most managers (from my experience) ignore the amount of positive output and effort good workers do and then come down hard because a break was extended by a few minutes or some other paltry scene.

Monday morning meetings, formal staff reviews, white walling, ego tripping are counter productive. They are just a means of recognition of the role of the manager. If it ain't broke dont fix it - how often have we heard this? But, no it appears that the syndrome of break it more wins the day.

A private informal chat with any employee should alleviate most situations. Managers, learn to manage or you will be managed by your employees. Great idea:- should manager's performance be reviewed by the workers?

we've all been told on a couple of occassions to have a meal out with the other half or whoever, keep the receipt and work will cover it.
Perhaps he has lost respect for an employer who encourages tax evasion?
We need the Internet every so often for work and he was always using it personally and switching over when I walk back in to the room. The other staff members complained that he is browsing the Internet while they are up to their eyes getting work done. I challenged him and he said he wasnt so I got a monitoring package in place for a month and the first day I got the results it showed he had been on the previous day for 4.5 hours. We possibly refer to the Internet 7 or 8 times a day to do checks so it wasnt for work. He showly cut down the time but I know as soon as I leave his view he's sending epic emails (not for work, I can see them on his screen from my desk) and browsing again. I only had a month trial on monitoring, I thought it would be sufficient.
Be very, very careful how you interpret this information. What do you mean by 4.5 hours? Is the package measuring the amount of time the browser window was open? If he switches from the browser to his email, while leaving the browser window open, is your package counting this time as part of the 4.5 hours?

Perhaps he has lost respect for an employer who encourages tax evasion?

How is work paying for a meal tax evasion?

Be very, very careful how you interpret this information. What do you mean by 4.5 hours? Is the package measuring the amount of time the browser window was open? If he switches from the browser to his email, while leaving the browser window open, is your package counting this time as part of the 4.5 hours?

Most internet monitoring software reports on a number of metrics, time browser is open, time browser window is active, number of web pages visited, etc... Its usually pretty easy to see from the browser history whether or not someone is taking the proverbial.

Although many employees are experts in avoiding detection, using a different browser, browsing through a proxy server etc... I have never found automated software monitoring to be the best fits all solution.

Back