adding a name to bank account

franmac

I dont know if I am in the right tread but recently we ( my in laws and myself ) have had a totally confusing encounter with a certain bank concerning an account which we wanted to add one one extra name onto the account.

The account is due to inheritance of a family home and only is a working account with rent covering the insurance plus maintainance and has less than 10,000e

For the last two months we have tried to get my name on the account ( a request by the rest of the signees) but we cannot believe the confusion this simple straightforward request has presented.

I have an account with this bank and to date I have signed about 6 forms had my ID confirmed with my branch and today my sister in law was told ONCE AGAIN they gave us the wrong form ( thats 6 wrong forms she has been given)

The bank staff havent a clue .

I recently had to arrange new signing authority on a club account and i can well appreciate what you are encountering. It might have been easier to open and a new joint account . Keep at it and you will get there!

I'm surprised that in these days a bank would contemplate adding a name to an account. Further, I'd be very surprised if they had a standard form to cover it. Far better to close the old account and open a new one - then there is much greater clarity for all in relation to ownership, responsibility etc.

I agree with Gulliver. Its better to make a clean break and start afresh with a new joint account

Thank you all for your replies and looks like opening a new account is the best way to go.

Back