A majority has registered for the Household Charge - has a majority paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my initial title was "It seems a majority has paid..." it was absolutely correct.

I have now made it more precise.

Brendan

From RTE

The Local Government Management Agency has said that as of 4pm yesterday evening, 888,751 people had registered for the Household Charge.

The figure includes almost 14,000 people who have applied for a waiver. On Tuesday, a spokesman for Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan said the overall figure of households liable had been identified as 1,570,814, based on the results of the last Census.

However, opponents of the charge have said that there are actually 1.8 million households liable for the charge.

And 11,000 have paid the charge including penalty since the deadline expired at the end of March.
I'd consider this a reasonably high amount in such a short space of time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0410/over-11-000-pay-house-charge-penalty.html

I have just noticed another report states that actaully 27,000 have paid the charge after the deadline resulting in almost €300,000 in penalties paid to the state.

http://www.independent.ie/national-...harge-hit-by-300000-in-penalties-3076720.html

Last edited:
And 11,000 have paid the charge including penalty since the deadline expired at the end of March.
I'd consider this a reasonably high amount in such a short space of time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0410/over-11-000-pay-house-charge-penalty.html

I dont understand how so many people have paid the HC late when it was well flagged and they had 3 months to pay it from the start of the year.

I know the penalty (11 euro) is relatively small but even still I would rather not pay it myself if it could be avoided.

I expect people were waiting to see how many paid it first. However once it got over 50% I think the majority people will pay in time to avoid higher fines. So they'll whittle down the numbers over time.

[broken link removed]

In fact, 921, 568 have registered. WE don't know how many have actually paid.

But it's likely to be at least 50% by now.

Brendan

Call it pregnancy brain but I forgot to pay.. I heard about it one day and said I must pay that! Now my hosp bill is due that will take centre stage! WHOPS!

This seems to have completely disappeared from news and public forum.

Did the protest by the large minority make any real difference?

Seems to be about half a million still haven't paid.

A lot of people to have to chase.

This seems to have completely disappeared from news and public forum.

Did the protest by the large minority make any real difference?

Seems to be about half a million still haven't paid.

A lot of people to have to chase.

Too many to chase, and will probably be promised to be reversed by next lot going for election.

Who knows. The administration on chasing the numbers is impractical.

The reason there is no mention on this issue at the moment is because of the upcoming referendum. No bad news is allowed at the moment and big Phil has been gagged for the duration.
I am sure the minute the referendum is finished they will all be ungagged and unleashed :)

Up to date information from here .

The Local Government Management Agency (LGMA) is administering the household charge system on a shared service/agency basis for all county and city councils. I understand, from data provided by the LGMA, that as of noon on 14 May, a total of 845,442 property declarations have been processed by the household charge bureau. 829,082 registered for payment of the charge equating to some €83m. 16,360 residential property owners have registered for a waiver from payment of the charge.
In addition, 87,500 postal applications have been received in the household charge bureau, which have yet to be processed; these equate to a further €8.8m. A further 6,500 declarations have been received by local authorities equating to some €0.65.m. This gives a total number of 939,442 declarations made equating to some €93m.

Not too promising that there are still 94,000 applications to be processed a month and a half after the deadline. If they don't have the recourses to process what is sent to them how are they going to pursue the approx 900,000 households that haven't registered. Looks like this tax has failed.

Interesting interactive map here giving an indication of who has paid and where...

[broken link removed]

I think that the chart legend is slightly inaccurate and red should actually be < 50%!

I'm assuming that the data on which the chart is based is accurate in spite of earlier confusion about what the precise figures were for those liable, thos who had paid etc.

Surprised to see the west cost so high. Would have expected to see it the other way round.

Just under 1M households have paid up and around 600K remain outstanding according to this:

[broken link removed]

This thread is about the percentage of people who have actually paid. Please discuss other issues in other threads or in a new thread if it's a new subject.

I have moved the discussion of the letters received to this thread: Anyone else get a letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back