4 to fill a pot-hole..

Or have a remote controlled pair of stop go signals operated by the driver and only need two!

I think I posted here before about council workers that came to fix a water mains leak outside our house. I think it was a total of six people and the driver never once got out of the truck. Just sat there reading the paper and smoking fags.

Wasn't it reported elsewhere that there have three or four deaths in the past couple of years for people doing this type of work. If it takes four people to do a job safely, it takes four people. I have seen health and safety regulations use up massive amount of resources in private companies as well before people start saying 'typical public sector'.

Hi Sunny,

I don't think anyone is arguing about Elf & Safety, but rather how in the case above, the cost to the taxpayer could be reduced by 25% by getting the driver to perform a task when onsite?

Hi Sunny,

I don't think anyone is arguing about Elf & Safety, but rather how in the case above, the cost to the taxpayer could be reduced by 25% by getting the driver to perform a task when onsite?

We are not told how much the 'driver' is paid compared to the other council staff so the savings may not be as high as 25%

I dont care if it takes forty-four people to fill a pot-hole, just fill the bloody things. Where I live I see agents spending weeks widening footpaths (some that will never see a pair of feet) but the roads are still left with jacuzzi depth pot-holes for ever.

I suppose getting a driver to do a job other than their speciality might be akin to asking a consultant to wash a patient. Both are perfectly doable. Both unlikely to happen.

Marion

In fairness to the council trio they were returning after filling potholes elsewhere when they made an unscheduled stop to repair a pot hole they had just come across. They had the men, materials and equipment to make the repairs. It would have been so easy for the trio to sail on by and get home to the depot early.

Their only misfortune was that a HSA "jobsworth" inspector happened upon them as they worked and reported them.

the driver dosent have to get out of the truck, he is employed as a driver.

You see, that's the problem right there...I'd put it to you that he's employed as a 'council worker' and so should 'work' rather than sitting around waiting to work in short bursts.it's not 1970 anymore

In Cork it appears that it takes three men to repair potholes. That is not unreasonable given that it only takes 10 -15 minutes to repair a pothole and it is a highly mobile operation.

These three guys should be commended rather than being suspended without pay!

The problem here is not 1970's style Spanish practices but 2000'nds style H&S leglislation enforced by overzealous former factory inspectors.

It is cheaper in the long run to have a crew allocated to designated areas than taking each individual pot hole and assessing a labour and plant allocation based on the size / length of time etc. on daily basis.

The stop-go signalling, I'd agree the automated system would be best and frees up two men to assist with the work, but if its a 10-15 minute infill job, setting up the lights may just take longer than its worth.

Aside from this are the CoCo. correct in enforcing the H&S rules bearing in mind an accident may result in some hefty claims?
Hypothetically - If a car hit the workers and/or the truck due to improper warning signs and resulted in serious injury or death of one party, the financial consequence and uproar would be far greater. Then they'd be in the cross hairs for wasting money, not following procedures etc. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You see, that's the problem right there...I'd put it to you that he's employed as a 'council worker' and so should 'work' rather than sitting around waiting to work in short bursts

I would agree; but It's easy to point fingers in this instance and others, like the example Chris gave, as the council workers themselves are often in the public eye and it's a common joke about the council workers leaning on shovels for six hours of every workday. In reality, I doubt (i.e. in my experience) that the worker is pigeon holed solely as a "driver"; more than likely a plant operator. A job may need a JCB/excavator/ etc. intermittently during the day but will obviously remain on site for the full duration, inevitably this will have an operator allocated to work the machine.I wouldn't want any worker to have the authority to just hop up on any machine and declare themselves an expert, like you said it's not the 70's. Some may say the operator should get off the machine when not in use and assist the others but in reality this is not required and could be argued as counter productive; too many chiefs.

While the others may start at 9:00 a.m. the drivers/operators can have very early starts at the depots to get the machines loaded, prepared & fueled, get materials loaded and get on the road. They often have late finishes as well for example; that JCB driver complain about getting get stuck behind on the road has to trundle back to the depot, some can go at max 40 Km/H, it can take a long time after which the worker himself has to drive home. Whilst it may look like he's doing nothing all day it can be very misleading.

I'd wouldn't consider myself a defender of the PS and Council workers but I think we should aim at a level playing field; you're never going to know the full picture by just looking out the window.

I dont care if it takes forty-four people to fill a pot-hole, just fill the bloody things. Where I live I see agents spending weeks widening footpaths (some that will never see a pair of feet) but the roads are still left with jacuzzi depth pot-holes for ever.

I agree; just get them filled (properly) and I'd be happier. I'm all for minimising waste in the PS but not by knowing the value of pennies but not the pounds.

I know the footpaths you are describing, installed or widened both sides of the road, actually narrowing the carriageway and rarely/never used - Why? Because a few potential voters got on to the local T.D. who secured himself a few more votes. Examples to be witnessed nationwide.

You see, that's the problem right there...I'd put it to you that he's employed as a 'council worker' and so should 'work' rather than sitting around waiting to work in short bursts.it's not 1970 anymore
so would you think it ok that the guys filling the potholes also jumped in and drove the truck!......:rolleyes:

i think its very unlikely that you would get four licenced truck drivers on any one crew! thats why the driver on the crew is deemed to be responsibly for the operation of the truck.

Back