4 to fill a pot-hole..

why not, as long as they had a licence to do so
+1

I suppose getting a driver to do a job other than their speciality might be akin to asking a consultant to wash a patient. Both are perfectly doable. Both unlikely to happen.

Marion

I'm sure the consultant can drive themselves to work though.

Many people hold HGV licenses. Getting them to drive to the job and then do the job shouldn't have to be discussed; it should be self evident.

i think its very unlikely that you would get four licenced truck drivers on any one crew! thats why the driver on the crew is deemed to be responsibly for the operation of the truck.

You only need one guy with a license. You just train him or her to do other stuff as well.

might work in theory, but in practice you probably wouldnt get too many truck drivers applying for the job!

might work in theory, but in practice you probably wouldnt get too many truck drivers applying for the job!

A neighbout of mine works for Eircom. He drived the truck to site and then does the work at the site. He said it's standard pactice for them, though it wasn't years back when he started there.

it probably is standard practise but i would imagine he is on a higher rate of pay than someone who dosent have a HGV and drive a truck. if the same was applied to the councel workers then the saving may not be that great.

it probably is standard practise but i would imagine he is on a higher rate of pay than someone who dosent have a HGV and drive a truck. if the same was applied to the councel workers then the saving may not be that great.
Do you think the difference is anything close to what a "full time" driver would be paid?
Don't kid yourself, the saving would be considerable.

Hello,

I was delighted to read this thread .. to see the Councils have managed to cut the average team for filling potholes, down from six men to four men.

Gone are the days when we also employed one man to make the tea and another, to act as foreman (if only we could make this level of progress elsewhere, it's almost as good as the recently announced cuts in the payroll at RTE :)) .. way to go Ireland ! :D

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Back