20m for children living outside the country

Actually €200 Billion since 1974 according to EU Statistics. At the moment EU Fishery is approximatley €20 billion pa of which 40% of edible fish are fished in Irish territorial waters (90% of which are hauled by non Irish based vessels)

After Germany Ireland is the second greatest indirect contributor to the EU coffers because of this (declining) natural asset.

Do you think Ireland has the resources to pull €200b of fish out of the seas?

Do you think Ireland has the resources to pull €200b of fish out of the seas?

I have no idea what resources we have in regard to manpower / fishing trawlers it would be difficult to acertain as there appears to be a great deal of legislation blocking constant fishing by Irish based Fishermen from media reports, and its a moot point as we are aware that there are now diminishing fish stocks. €200 Billion is the figure since we joined the EU, currently year on year EU totals for edible fishstocks are €20 Billion of which 40% are caught in Irish Territorial waters, therefore €8 Billion pa. That figure is the value for the product when landed, there is of course value added during processing which doubles the monetary value.

Last edited:
While in theory Ireland pays the balance of CB to its imigrant workers, the practice is very different.

Example Polish man comes to work in Ireland and applies for CB for his children still living with their mother in Poland. She is immediately contacted by Irish SW and instructed to stop the CB payment (E10 monthly) in Poland.

From date of application to receipt of benefit usually takes up to 21/2 years.

BTW not too many of our migrant workers pay taxes (Income tax) in Ireland as they seem to work mostly for the minimum wage

Please clarify, are you saying it takes two and a half years from date of application to receipt of benefit?

As emigration increases we will see Irish parents in England or other E.U. Countries applying to those countries for payment of child benefit in respect of children they may have left back home in Ireland while they are getting settled in to England etc.

Not true, as the amount of CB paid in all of the other EU countries is less than our own here. Irish people working abroad would therefore continue to claim it from home.

From date of application to receipt of benefit usually takes up to 21/2 years.

Please clarify, are you saying it takes two and a half years from date of application to receipt of benefit?

It does not take 2 1/2 years. I am aware of a claim from a Polish national here that was processed in 4 months. She just had to cancel the benefits in Poland first which I have been informed work out at 40PLN/ child (or €10 per child per month!). With such low rates there, of course they are going to claim it here. EU law says they can, so that's that. I have personally never been too comfortable, however, with the fact that this benefit can be claimed for children who are not in the country. If the kids are here, it is a legitimate award in my opinion.
But I also agree with other posters' assertions that there are much greater ills and injustices here at home that need to be tackled first.

Yes I come accross cases on a daily basis where it takes two and a half years to process. That is where the father is in Ireland and the children are in another EU country

If you phone the EU Child benefit section now to ask when to expect the claim to be processed they will tell you that they are now working on claims made November 2006

gebbel. Are you saying the mother of the child applied for CB, My example showed the situation where Polish father applied

Back