20m for children living outside the country

oldtimer

Noticed on teletext this country is paying out 20 million for children who are not living in this country. How can we sustain that?

I seen that in the paper the other day, I had NO IDEA that this was going on. I don't understand it either, quite frankly.

Its not an amount that will change the deficit but every little bit adds up.

Its shocking that this money is effectively being stolen from the Gov. Its fraud.

Time the Gov started to take this type of action very seriously.

Didn't Fine Gael highlight that in the Dáil a few years ago, thus alerting foreign nationals living in Ireland to the fact that they could claim benefit here for their children living at home in their native country?

the parents are living and working here in order to support the children, they are paying taxes here. And as far as I know there is an EU rule in relation to this too. It is not fraud

Does the country in which the children are residing not pay them an allowance as well?

Does the country in which the children are residing not pay them an allowance as well?

no that is why it takes months to process an application for a foreign child

edit: in fact we only make up the difference see below

Child Benefit and EU Regulations

EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland, satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit.
If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU Regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another country. However, if your children are living in another EU/EEA country you should still apply for any Family Benefits you are entitled to there.
If the Family Benefit you get in the country your children are living is less than the Child Benefit payment here, your Irish Child Benefit payment will make up the difference. For more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit, contact the Child Benefit Section (see 'Where to apply' below).
Countries covered by EU Regulations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands).

source

Its shocking that this money is effectively being stolen from the Gov. Its fraud.

Thats a disgracefull post RMCF..

Clarify who is stealing money from the Government?

Child Benefit and EU Regulations

EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland, satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit.
If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU Regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another country. However, if your children are living in another EU/EEA country you should still apply for any Family Benefits you are entitled to there.
If the Family Benefit you get in the country your children are living is less than the Child Benefit payment here, your Irish Child Benefit payment will make up the difference. For more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit, contact the Child Benefit Section (see 'Where to apply' below).
Countries covered by EU Regulations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands).

source
Good research Sandrat. :)

Thats a disgracefull post RMCF..

Clarify who is stealing money from the Government?

Wise yourself up. Like a good superlative do you?

Until the legal reply was made, I am sure that 99.9% of people in the country thought that €20mill going to children who don;t even live in the country was scandalous.

I still think it is.

Wise yourself up. Like a good superlative do you?

Until the legal reply was made, I am sure that 99.9% of people in the country thought that €20mill going to children who don;t even live in the country was scandalous.

I still think it is.

However scandalous you think it is, it is not fraud, so you were incorrect.
Re; liking a good superlative, I have a friend here who is not from Ireland and he was very offended by your post ,saying these people were stealing from the government and commiting fraud.such a definitive statement from someone who didnt bother to check.

Did you do a survey? how are you "sure". that 99.9 % of people in the country thought that €20mill going to children who don;t even live in the country was scandalous.
Or is that another theory you picked out of the clouds.

Couldnt this be added to the list of demands for the revised Lisbon Treaty?

the parents are living and working here in order to support the children, they are paying taxes here. And as far as I know there is an EU rule in relation to this too. It is not fraud
Yes. It's because of EU regulations to which our Government agreed. I suspect that many are low paid workers who are not in the income tax net (many maybe signing on at this stage). If I was jobless, or working for a pittance and living in Eastern Europe, I reckon I'd have come to Ireland to do a minimum wage job and supplement that with Child Benefit and ECS and probably have been able to send home multiples of what I might have earned locally. It's certainly not fraud. I do think however that this scenario will have been socially detrimental to such Eastern countries and that our welfare and tax systems have encouraged the division of families.
. . in fact we only make up the difference see below
That sounds like it blunts the edge of the issue but many of the countries from where the migrant workers are coming pay very little or no Child Benefit; e.g. AFAIK Poland doesn't pay any. A particular FUBAR by our clueless Government is that Early Childcare Supplement, which was introduced specifically to help with the high cost of caring for a young child in Ireland, is also paid for non-resident children.

Is it scandalous is it? How about the billions the EU gave in structural funds to you and your country that that has happily been frittered away in wasteful projects, backhanders and corruption? The EU is not just about pocketing its funds, it's also about abiding by its rules and duties. Do your research first before spouting about the institution that is currently lending you money to keep your country afloat.

If I was jobless, or working for a pittance and living in Eastern Europe, I reckon I'd have come to Ireland to do a minimum wage job and supplement that with Child Benefit and ECS and probably have been able to send home multiples of what I might have earned locally.

Exactly the same as the Irish have done for the last 200 years. We would be very hypercritical to object to it now.

I will now admit that its not fraud, as the legal answerprinted here proves its not, but I still can't believe that any Gov would sign up to that.

Imagine if a person has 8 children. I find it unbelieveable that this person can come to Ireland, NOT bring a single child to this country EVER, and yet still claim very generous allowances for them, even if the only time they ever see Ireland is in a book or on TV. To me thats crazy.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned.

And I still think that its open to fraud. All benefit systems are victims of fraud, and I don't see how this system can be policed properly. Do the benefits people in both countries interact at all with each other? If not, then there is a big chance that allowances will be claimed in both jurisdications.

they only claim the difference between the amount they get at home and what we get here

Back