20m for children living outside the country

Is it scandalous is it? How about the billions the EU gave in structural funds to you and your country that that has happily been frittered away in wasteful projects, backhanders and corruption? The EU is not just about pocketing its funds, it's also about abiding by its rules and duties. Do your research first before spouting about the institution that is currently lending you money to keep your country afloat.

Couldnt agree with you more,well done wavejumper, you took the words right out of my mouth;)

Is it scandalous is it? How about the billions the EU gave in structural funds to you and your country that that has happily been frittered away in wasteful projects, backhanders and corruption? The EU is not just about pocketing its funds, it's also about abiding by its rules and duties. Do your research first before spouting about the institution that is currently lending you money to keep your country afloat.

so you get the hump about a poster that is angry with 20million leaving the country to people that have never had an input here but find it perfectly ok to call the Irish corrupt and paint us as underhand wasters, nice.

Exactly the same as the Irish have done for the last 200 years. We would be very hypercritical to object to it now.

should people not evolve? go back a few more years and it would be hypocritical of the english to object to us making them speak irish as their native tongue. We cannot continually be judged on our past when we have strived to progress ourselves as a nation and achieved so much in recent years.

Exactly the same as the Irish have done for the last 200 years. We would be very hypercritical to object to it now.

This is stretching things a bit.

Are you saying that Irish people having been claiming allowances for family members back home for 200 years?

I am guessing that this ability to claim for children not in the country is a relatively new thing.

so you get the hump about a poster that is angry with 20million leaving the country to people that have never had an input here but find it perfectly ok to call the Irish corrupt and paint us as underhand wasters, nice.

I didnt notice the poster saying that Irish people were corrupt,where did it say that?
I also dont get the impression that poster was angry about the 20m leaving the country,but rather that , they were being accused of fraud.

It's all down to the wording of the Law and what you call the benefit.

At the moment it is called Child Benefit and is paid to the children of anyone resident or working in Ireland.

We could abolish it and bring in a refundable tax credit for the cost of buying childrens clothes/food/supplies etc. in Ireland. Same as the bin charges credit in respect of the waste charges you incur in Ireland.

For people claiming welfare, you just increase the money they already receive per child if they cannot claim the tax credit.

but find it perfectly ok to call the Irish corrupt and paint us as underhand wasters, nice.

After the Beef Tribunal and the plethora of others Tribunal and Transparecncy Internationals recent report....Ireland still has a problem with corruption..

I imagine that most of the people receiving CB are entitled to it under EU and Irish law. What is more interesting is that the Department estimate the rate of fraud of Child Benefit to be approximatley €5 Million currently and their on-going investigations will hopefully soon get us to a point where only those eligible (regardless of their place of birth) will remain in receipt. That estimate would be in addition to the 3,410 recipients who were terminated during 2008 and who were discoverd during the initial mailing requesting confirmation of address / claim. So it each claim was for even only 1 child at €166 pm it would be €6,792,720.00 savings already and counting.

After the Beef Tribunal and the plethora of others Tribunal and Transparecncy Internationals recent report....Ireland still has a problem with corruption..

There is corruption at different levels in every country, there is no disputing that.

I didnt notice the poster saying that Irish people were corrupt,where did it say that?
I also dont get the impression that poster was angry about the 20m leaving the country,but rather that , they were being accused of fraud.

Is it scandalous is it? How about the billions the EU gave in structural funds to you and your country that that has happily been frittered away in wasteful projects, backhanders and corruption?

It has not been a one way street. The value of fish taken from what was once our national waters by our EU partners is greater than the value of all the EU benefits which have been received by Ireland. We did not come to the table empty handed.

This provision is a metter of E.U. Law and cannot be changed by an individual state .I am aware of one case where a Lithuanian woman ( widowed) is working in Ireland while her parents back home mind her child. She gets this allowance. Ireland deducts from her payment the equivalent child benefit figure which she receives in Lithuania.( which is very low in any case)

As emigration increases we will see Irish parents in England or other E.U. Countries applying to those countries for payment of child benefit in respect of children they may have left back home in Ireland while they are getting settled in to England etc.

I don't see any point in trying to change every E.U. provision. We signed up for Europe and if after negotiations certain laws are enacted which we might not necessarily support that is the price we pay for access to the European market.

The Foot and Mouth epidemic a few years ago showed the level of corruption by farmers in the borders area. Farmers were receiving million in headage payments in respect of cattle they did not have and could not account for once the destruction of livestock started.

This is stretching things a bit.

Are you saying that Irish people having been claiming allowances for family members back home for 200 years?

I am guessing that this ability to claim for children not in the country is a relatively new thing.

This is a moot point - what is clear is that Irish people have left in their millions over the last 150+ years, and that many of these used 'fair means and foul' to make a living in whatever country they emigrated/fled to.
Many Irish people worked illegally in the US in the 1980s, not to mention some who worked in the UK, while drawing the dole under several different aliases.
Legal immigrants in Ireland are perfectely entitled to claim child benefit. I admire their determination to make a better life for themselves and their familes. I would do the same if I were in their shoes - the way the economy is going, that may happen soon....

I read that there was 20m going to African Country's which the government are trying to stop.
If you have worked in Ireland for a certain time and you get made redundant and go back to your home EU Country you are entitled to draw the dole for 12 weeks from Ireland even though you have gone back home.

Its part of our EU citizenship and I presume Irish citizens have a reciprocal right if they're working abroad.

The real scandal is that child benefit is not means tested, in my view.

While in theory Ireland pays the balance of CB to its imigrant workers, the practice is very different.

Example
Polish man comes to work in Ireland and applies for CB for his children still living with their mother in Poland. She is immediately contacted by Irish SW and instructed to stop the CB payment (E10 monthly) in Poland.

From date of application to receipt of benefit usually takes up to 21/2 years.

BTW not too many of our migrant workers pay taxes (Income tax) in Ireland as they seem to work mostly for the minimum wage

+1 €55 billion worth of fish? Not likely!

Actually €200 Billion since 1974 according to EU Statistics. At the moment EU Fishery is approximatley €20 billion pa of which 40% of edible fish are fished in Irish territorial waters (90% of which are hauled by non Irish based vessels)

After Germany Ireland is the second greatest indirect contributor to the EU coffers because of this (declining) natural asset.

Actually €200 Billion since 1974 according to EU Statistics. At the moment EU Fishery is approximatley €20 billion pa of which 40% of edible fish are fished in Irish territorial waters (90% of which are hauled by non Irish based vessels)

After Germany Ireland is the second greatest indirect contributor to the EU coffers because of this (declining) natural asset.

That’s a remarkable statistic and something I never would have thought of.

Back