€95m in budget for animal racing industries

Whatever about horse racing and I have issues with that but greyhound racing? It functions purely for gambling. It was fashionable for corporate night out a while back but even that has stopped. Why are taxpayers giving millions to that? And it has nothing to do with rural Ireland..
84000 dogs in training but there are only a small number of full time trainers, a lot of trainers are farmers or people with a few dogs so it is almost a hobby for them. Average attendance at meetings in 2022 was 237. It really is a minority sport in Ireland now

Whatever about horse racing and I have issues with that but greyhound racing? It functions purely for gambling. It was fashionable for corporate night out a while back but even that has stopped. Why are taxpayers giving millions to that? And it has nothing to do with rural Ireland..

and then the Minister gives a measly €6M between 101 animal welfare charities and tries to claim credit for increasing it by 220k on last year's figure. He, above all people, knows that the rescues in Ireland are in dire straits at the moment, it is the worst it has ever been. They are being left to do what the Government should be sorting out. If it were not for the generosity of the general public lots more animals would be left to roam the streets.

So glad that it is not fashionable any longer. It was so annoying, to listen to Leo Varadkar, to say while speaking in the Dail a few years back, that he enjoyed his night out at the dogs at Christmas :mad:

84000 dogs in training but there are only a small number of full time trainers, a lot of trainers are farmers or people with a few dogs so it is almost a hobby for them. Average attendance at meetings in 2022 was 237. It really is a minority sport in Ireland now

I used to go with work social club to Shelbourne Park once a year. It would be a well run night. Company might bring 50 people, spend a lot on the track and bar.
But with covid \ working from home, companies aren't doing so much hospitality events.

And then also concerns about animal welfare making companies think twice.
I'd say there's a huge loss of revenue there that I don't see coming back.

Back