€1000 tax-free pandemic bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug bear of mine that you forget that most of these roles have been outsourced, along with cleaning and canteen roles, and are literally at minimum wage.
I'll give you that. We have a mix of direct hires and outsourced.

The wages of Chefs always surprise me. In the HSE Chefs are very low when compared to the Attendant role.

It's very hard to sack people, and rightly so. That's why assessing people in the first 12 months is so important. Unlike the State sector we don't manage them up. That said it's more about the systems and processes we run and the flexibility of the workforce than the "slackers" we carry.

Yep, where the employer can afford it. I'd add income limits too. People on high incomes don't need it and so shouldn't get it.
Yes, a good probation process is indeed very important. Maybe I've spent too long reading certain threads here, but I got the impression that sacking people was a measure of the effectiveness of HR management round here, and not the boring ould stuff of selecting the right people and managing them appropriately.

Bug bear of mine that you forget that most of these roles have been outsourced, along with cleaning and canteen roles, and are literally at minimum wage.
The reason they've been outsourced to private contractors is unsustainable pay rates, staff inflexibility, superannuation burden et al.
In short, due to union intransigence

Tell me more about these 'floodgates'? Do you think that you've maybe jumped the shark in your great leap from the 100,000 health care workers to the entire population?
Have you read the comments sections on social media posts about this?
Poor analogies there - it would be more like sending the army out on NATO missions when they joined up in a state of neutrality, or sending lollipop men and women giving out parking tickets.
Ireland a state of neutrality..now that's funny. Lollipop men/women being reassigned as traffic wardens is perfectly acceptable only for the union, of course.
Working in Covid settings was not foreseeable. Unless you had some crystal ball there?
Dealing with pandemics is an inherent part of being a healthcare worker as is major casualty numbers from an explosion/RTA/insurrection or whatever else.

I've no idea what your issue with 'triage' is. This was standard approach in EDs (or 'Casualty Depts' as they used to be), 40 years ago - nothing to do with TV drama at all.
Re-read my post and pay close attention to the very clear directions and commentary

Triage:

Group A - Casualties who with minimal treatment and other resource investment could return to the frontline (the real frontline) to re-engage the enemy​
Group B - Casualties who are so badly injured they are unlikely to survive even with huge investments of scarce resources. They are left to one side to die.​
Group C - Those who were likely to survive and return to the frontline eventually with significant resource investment.​

The "frontline" that healthcare workers and more especially their so-called managers talk about ad nauseaum is of course not a frontline at all. The frontline in the fight against illness and disease stops with the patients and their families. The health care workers are resources to be deployed in the fight, back-up to the real frontline fighters in other words. That's why health-care workers are not called illness or injury fighters; they check in and out of working 40 hours a week plus a bit of paid overtime in support of the real fighters, who are there fighting 24/7.

Can you point out to me which if any of the people in the 3 photos you posted works in the HSE and tell me why they aren't smart enough to wear masks & goggles that fit?

If they're so busy, wherever they work, how come they have time to take/make private phone calls and take selfies? They must be under-employed as well as pretty thick.

and tell me why they aren't smart enough to wear masks & goggles that fit?
To be fully effective, the FFP2 masks have to be worn very tight to stop any air leakage around the edges, it is impossible to do so without getting marks like the above on soft tissue. That said, my wife who is one of these front liners certainly wasn't wearing that grade of protection for most of the pandemic.

It's all done and dusted bar the shouting.
The €1000 will be paid to the heroes of the pandemic ( a term coined by the Government as their overall employers and the HSE) , a large tranche of the public sector will have their pre FEMPA hours restored .
The shouting will, of course , take place via the industrial relations mechanisms of the State where those independent bodies will decide on the claims for additional leave and the claims for bonus parity from other parties .
I'm happy with this state of affairs and appreciate that people have differing views on this matter but essentially I'm equally happy that such arguments cut no ice.

There we go again "structurally sick". Charles Handy lists 60+ attributes of organisations that need attention, planning, design, and management, which must get appropriate attention for change to work. We seem to have a scotoma about all but "structure" in this country, which is why so many of our organisatons are both ineffective (fail to produce useful or expected outcomes) and inefficient (consume too many resources for the poxy outcomes they produce).

Structure is simply where boxes appear on an organisation chart, what names/titles get typed into the box and what lines connect it to other boxes on the chart.

p.s. If there were two words I'd like to strike from Mickey Martin's limited vocabulary they'd be "structure" and "sarcrifice"; I'm not even sure what the second one means.

p.p.s Working in or for a structurally sick organisation is unlikely to assist the employees' health

I'll give you that. We have a mix of direct hires and outsourced.

The wages of Chefs always surprise me. In the HSE Chefs are very low when compared to the Attendant role.
We hired a Chef during the first lockdown, He's a fantastic work ethic. He said his last job was in a hospital and he left because the hygiene standards were appalling, the politics was unbelievable and nobody did any work. He said it was the most stressful place he'd ever worked because there was a culture of not doing anything.

he left because the hygiene standards were appalling
Doesn't surprise me.

I attended a hospital recently for an outpatient procedure. A staff member kindly offered to take my jacket and laptop bag from me. She was about to leave them on the floor when I asked if there was a coatstand or coat hook to hang them on. There was next door and I put them there.

I was then asked to remove my shoes and walk across the floor to the apparatus I had to lie on. I said I'd remove my shoes while sitting on the apparatus and asked if she could leave my shoes near my jacket and bag. She picked up my shoes without wearing gloves or washing her hands afterward.

The passive aggression was dripping off her before I asked her to bring my shoes back when the procedure finished. Having handled my own shoes which had walked on their floors I washed and disinfected the auld paws. I'd have worn my own gloves except the box I keep in the car was empty. In fairness, they were scanning people for COVID symptoms and handing out free masks at reception.

I waved a cheery Bye Bye to scowls.

Why are you posting a picture of my wife? She doesn't remember anyone asking for permission to post her picture here.

Obviously, you've some major bugbear about standard terminology in the sector
Don't get confused now, originally my query was about why were exclusively military terms being adopted into other employments. They never were "standard" as you claim. Next we'll have a "triaging expert" for hardware and software faults, an entirely meaningless concept just as it is for people outside of a warzone.

As for the 10 and 12 hour shifts, health workers lobbied long and hard via their unions to have those shift patterns introduced in order to reduce child-care costs as well as travel costs and time. No sooner had they been introduced, than those self-same workers were complaining about the length of their shifts and the hardships they created for them. Whinge, whinge, whinge, it never ends.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a silly question to ask how they had time to take pictures, but seeing as you asked, I'd guess it is because their shift ended, and they don't work 24 x 7. Do they need your permission or approval to share pictures, or something?
Given that they're wearing uniforms and PPE, I think it was a safe inference for me to draw that they're still on duty, or are you saying they wear their contaminated work clothing home for their off-duty hours? I notice ids and logos are missing from the 2nd batch of photos so we still don't know if these are HSE staff. Some of the originals were not HSE employees.

On the other side of it, why are their personal mobile phones being used in contaminated environments and then taken home presumably without being decontaminated?

Last edited:
Don't get confused now, originally my query was about why were exclusively military terms being adopted into other employments. They never were "standard" as you claim. Next we'll have a "triaging expert" for hardware and software faults, an entirely meaningless concept just as it is for people outside of a warzone.

As for the 10 and 12 hour shifts, health workers lobbied long and hard via their unions to have those shift patterns introduced in order to reduce child-care costs as well as travel costs and time. No sooner had they been introduced, than those self-same workers were complaining about the length of their shifts and the hardships they created for them. Whinge, whinge, whinge, it never ends.
Triage has been a standard practice in emergency medicine for decades. Here's a paper talking about how they did triage in the 1960s.
Small community hospitals such as Fairfax Hospital, Norwalk Hospital, and Danbury Hospital chose to adopt the new staffing method. Hartford and Yale-New Haven hospitals considered this staffing method but ultimately decided to develop triage systems and ambulatory care facilities instead
But feel free to keep whinging, whinging, whinging about some manufactured slight about terminology. It never ends.

Given that they're wearing uniforms and PPE, I think it was a safe inference for me to draw that they're still on duty, or are you saying they wear their contaminated work clothing home for their off-duty hours? I notice ids and logos are missing from the 2nd batch of photos so we still don't know if these are HSE staff. Some of the originals were not HSE employees.

On the other side of it, why are their personal mobile phones being used in contaminated environments and then taken home presumably without being decontaminated?
Did the possibility strike you that they took the photos just after they finished their shift, before they changed out of scrubs? Or do you just want to look really, really hard for anything to possibly whinge, whinge, whinge about? It never ends.

And if you want to focus on HSE staff, sure, knock yourself out.

Not really. Has nothing to do with AAM privacy policy. You are posting pictures of women up on internet sites without their permission. Provide a link if you must but they are not your images to share.
I'm happy to comply with any AAM policies on the matter. They're not your images to police.

Not really. Has nothing to do with AAM privacy policy. You are posting pictures of women up on internet sites without their permission. Provide a link if you must but they are not your images to share.
I agree. It's too close to home & lots of people see this site. I would ask RetirementPlan if such unflattering photos of him/herself were posted on here would s/he be ok with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back