€1000 tax-free pandemic bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
An additional public holiday next year bringing us up to 10 and closer to the EU average of 12
In most EU countries if the public holiday falls on a weekend there isn't an additional day in leu. Therefore we are already around the EU average. Suggesting otherwise is typical Trade Union misinformation/lies.

In most EU countries if the public holiday falls on a weekend there isn't an additional day in leu. Therefore we are already around the EU average. Suggesting otherwise is typical Trade Union misinformation/lies.
It was the head of those damned pinko reactionaries at ISME that I heard on the radio in recent days making the point that we were behind Europe.

It was the head of those damned pinko reactionaries at ISME that I heard on the radio in recent days making the point that we were behind Europe.
You seem to have linked to the wrong place. That's a comment about a permanent bank holiday being better than gesture politics. It doesn't say anything about EU averages. If in fact he did then he's wrong. If you want to know the average then look at countries that don't have a day in leu and divide their number of holidays that are date specific by 7 and multiply by 5. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's basic maths. If you want to make an argument that we should get more public holidays that's fine, I kind of agree with you, but tell the truth about the numbers.

In fairness to the Unions telling lies by misrepresenting the facts is so engrained in their thinking that they probably don't know how to be truthful.

You seem to have linked to the wrong place. That's a comment about a permanent bank holiday being better than gesture politics. It doesn't say anything about EU averages. If in fact he did then he's wrong. If you want to know the average then look at countries that don't have a day in leu and divide their number of holidays that are date specific by 7 and multiply by 5. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's basic maths. If you want to make an argument that we should get more public holidays that's fine, I kind of agree with you, but tell the truth about the numbers.

In fairness to the Unions telling lies by misrepresenting the facts is so engrained in their thinking that they probably don't know how to be truthful.
The arguement that I want to make is that thinking that we could do with an extra bank holiday because we are behind the rest of Europe isn't down to "typical Trade Union misinformation/lies" given that the most reactionary employer body is saying the same thing.
Sometimes it's not the boogey man that is scary.

Healthcare employees were 7 times more likely to get Covid than those working in other sectors.
If we are giving out this money then it should be restricted to that cohort, public and private.
The public employers have stepped up. It might be time for the private employers to do the decent thing.

The arguement that I want to make is that thinking that we could do with an extra bank holiday because we are behind the rest of Europe isn't down to "typical Trade Union misinformation/lies" given that the most reactionary employer body is saying the same thing.
IBEC, who represent "Commercial" semi-States and others in the protected sector, is the only employers body with a voice. ISME is waste of time.
I still don't see a link to your assertion that ISME are agreeing that we are behind the European average. Have you edited your link?

The public employers have stepped up. It might be time for the private employers to do the decent thing.
In the case of supermarkets I agree with you. The State shouldn't be giving tax free bonuses to employees in private businesses.

An additional public holiday next year bringing us up to 10 and closer to the EU average of 12 and a 4 day St. Patrick’s weekend this year is welcome news.
It might be to public servants and multinational employees but not to SMEs, the bedrock or employment provision and revenue generation
The Government has been effusive in it’s praise of the heroic work done by healthcare workers in extremely COVID contagious situations and it’s great to see that praise converted into monetary terms .
Doing ones job is not "heroic" and it's crass to suggest it is
I note that a Government spokesperson said that of course representative bodies and Trade Unions representing those outside of the cohort chosen by the Government to receive this bonus could advance their respective cases through the industrial relations mechanisms of the State but that the Government was confident of containing the bonus to the prescribed cohort.
Optimism at it’s finest
That's an understatement-as previously stated, there isn't a trough big enough for the snouts rampaging towards it
for 10 days paid leave for Healthcare workers which the Labour Court has suggested should be negotiated between the HSE and Union’s.
This would be an abomination. Everyone got paid and some, perhaps many, had plenty of time on their hands while on full pay. There's already a huge backlog of essential screening services, for crucial early detection cancer screening for example, which is a much more serious issue than this virus.
Ten days additional leave is only going to exacerbate pathological diseases going undetected.

It's utterly reprehensible that any healthcare employee would even accept this offer not to mention demand it.

IBEC, who represent "Commercial" semi-States and others in the protected sector, is the only employers body with a voice. ISME is waste of time.
I still don't see a link to your assertion that ISME are agreeing that we are behind the European average. Have you edited your link?
No, I haven't edited it. Like I said, it was on the radio over the past week or so. Here's the interview in question. I don't disagree with your view of ISME, just thought it was interesting to see them sharing a position that you attributed to 'trade union misinformation'.
In the case of supermarkets I agree with you. The State shouldn't be giving tax free bonuses to employees in private businesses.
Some of the supermarkets did step up in the early days I think in fairness. But I was referring specifically to the private healthcare staff you mentioned - time for their employer to step up.
It's always easier with other people's money though isn't it? ;)
Unless you're talking about owner-managed enterprises, which doesn't seem to happen in the private hospital sector, all the decisions are going to be made by people 'with other people's money'.

Unless you're talking about owner-managed enterprises, which doesn't seem to happen in the private hospital sector, all the decisions are going to be made by people 'with other people's money'.
I think by "other people's money" Firefly means publicly borrowed money added to the national debt rather than private capital

I know what he meant. Private capital is still 'other people's money', often 'borrowed money'.
It's not public money and the public is not responsible for paying it back or subject to future onerous government policies as a result.

You must know this and are just being deliberately obtuse

It's not public money and the public is not responsible for paying it back or subject to future onerous government policies as a result.

You must know this and are just being deliberately obtuse
That's correct, it's not public money, but that wasn't the point being made above.

Interesting.
One quirk of the proposed February holiday is that it will usually be the first Monday in February but will be Friday 1st February if it falls on that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back