pharmacists not stocking cheaper generic drugs

gearoid

Hi,
Just wondering if other people have noticed pharmacists not stocking cheaper generic drugs, particularly in Dublin.

One example I can give is Rowex Domerid. It is the same drug Domperidone as is in Motilium, Irish made, and up to 2 euros cheaper for 10.

I've seen it outside Dublin in pharmacies but no pharmacist I've gone to in Dublin stocks it or will stock it.

Is this simply an issue of trying to keep up margins.

There are obviously major savings to be had by going generic.

Regards
Gearoid

A pharmacist may correct me but I think this has to do with the discounts offered by companies for bulk orders - generic companies offer much less discount than big pharma.

Have you thought about buying online? I do and believe I save a lot overall, even taking into account postage and currency conversions

I noticed this some time ago with Ibuprofen, sold under the brand Nurofen. I got some generic ibuprofen in (I think) Carlow, much cheaper than the brand. Couldn't get it in Dublin, and next time I was in Carlow, found I couldn't get it there any more either.

I buy ibuprofen in Sainsbury's when I'm in Newry or any of the big supermarkets when in the UK - usual price is 33p for 16 tablets (paid €3 for 12 branded tablets in an Irish pharmacy last week).

Is it legal to import controlled (?) drugs in this way?

I believe its not legal if its prescription drugs but it is legal for over the counter drugs - although I dont know how it works for drugs that require a prescription in Ireland but not in other countries?
I know that there are hayfever tablets I can buy over the counter in Ireland that are far far cheaper online in the generic version.

I buy ibuprofen in Sainsbury's when I'm in Newry or any of the big supermarkets when in the UK - usual price is 33p for 16 tablets (paid €3 for 12 branded tablets in an Irish pharmacy last week).
I also noticed up North that Tesco are doing their own brand Aspirin and Paracetamol at a fraction of the price you would pay for Panadol or Aspro.

As far as I can recall, I paid something like 20p for a pack of 20 aspirin!

Why doesn't Tesco in the South sell the same products? I've looked and couldn't find them.

I also noticed up North that Tesco are doing their own brand Aspirin and Paracetamol at a fraction of the price you would pay for Panadol or Aspro.

Why doesn't Tesco in the South sell the same products? I've looked and couldn't find them.
Do all drugs (e.g. both over the counter and prescription) have to be given some sort of imprimatur (e.g. from the IMB or something) before being sold in Ireland? Maybe the ones not on sale here are not allowed?

Medicines for use here require a product authorization (PA) from the IMB. This ensures that the Irish legislation regarding warning labels and pack sizes has been followed. For example, a 32 box of paracetamol which you can buy in Belfast would not be allowed here. UK legislation is generally more permissive in what can be bought OTC and from non-pharmacy outlets than here.

I cannot understand how pharmacies work in ireland. there is so much scope for the government to save money.
In the UK, a GP must prescribe the generic medicine ( only some must be prescribed by trade name, as different formulations have different rates of release of the medication into the system, and a sudden change could affect the patient).
The pharmacist then prescribes the cheapest type of that generic.
Irish tax payers are paying a vast fortune over the odds for medication. And there are many irish generic companies that provide high quality generics.

Hopefully, with the sudden contraction in government finances, we will look at obvious savings for the health sector.

Hopefully, with the sudden contraction in government finances, we will look at obvious savings for the health sector.

I would love to think so, don't honestly see it happening. The idea that the government would actually take a real hard look at medicines is not a runner. To many Pharmaceutical companies in Ireland producing non-generic drugs. They will not want to upset them.

It will be as reported in SBP a few weeks ago, Government looking at saving money on office stationary in circular to staff.

Any ideas how/where one can check for prices for cheaper generics? I'm on 75 mg of aspirin daily. From memory, I pay about €6 odd per month for this. Is there a cheaper option?

€6 per month is hardly expensive.
I read this thread and thought people were spending huge amounts of drugs.
But if it's to save money off €6 per month, is this realy such a problem?

Not sure where to search, possibly a trip across the border?

Asprin has not been sold over-the-counter in the Rep of Ireland for the last 2 or 3 years. I bought a big jar of it in USA recently.

If you know anyone going to Spain get the drugs there eg motilium, aspirin, paracetamol etc .. only a fraction of the price you pay here.

€6 per month is hardly expensive.
I read this thread and thought people were spending huge amounts of drugs.
But if it's to save money off €6 per month, is this realy such a problem?
Every little helps in these tough times. Also, it is likely to be €6 per month, every month for the rest of my life, so the savings will add up.
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/

This crowd charges £7.49 delivery, but if you buy in bulk its still the same.

And heres a page for Asprin
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/aspirin_v_467.html

Complainer, you said 75mg?
100 Dispersible Aspirin Tablets 75mg

49p
Was: 99p[broken link removed]|[broken link removed] YOU SAVE: 50p
THanks. The delivery charge makes it a bit impractical, but it is interesting to see the prices. I'll certainly look out when I'm next in NI or UK.

I'm also on 40 mg Micardis, which appears to be about 2/3rds of the price I'm paying in my pharmacist. http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/micardis-tablet-40mg_4_15370.html
That crowd insist of having a UK perscription, so I don't have any options there.

I can buy Bonviva, the once a month tablet for osteoporosis, in France or Spain at the rate of €82 for 3. Exact same packaging and dosage as here and it is sold over the counter. In Ireland it costs €60 for 1 tablet with the prescription renewed (at a cost of €50 for visit to doctor) every six months. Total rip-off. My husband also buys his enteric-coated 75mg aspirin in the States at a fraction of the cost here (less than 2%). Really makes me mad what we have to put up with here - so the sooner we all using market forces to make changes here, the better.

Solpadeine is sold as Maxilief and is available in most chemists for circa €2 cheaper for a pack of 24.

Back