Key Post: Best Buy for Baby?

A

ajapale

Is there a best buy for baby section?

To get the ball rolling, A large tin of sma white costs €9.30 in Boots. This is the cheapest I have seen.

ajapale

sma

we're spending about 70 euro a week between 3 (progress and white cap),i wonder is there a recipe for it?

Re: sma

"SMA White and SMA Gold are produced by Wyeth Nutritionals in Askeaton, Co Limerick.

The company employs more than 500 people in Limerick and is one of the largest milk purchasers in the Munster region."

Maybe someone in Askeaton will let us know what the ingredients are?

ajapale

Nappies

Boots Liffey Valley also cheapest for nappies. Big box of Huggies - 85 to 105 nappies depending on size costs €16.49. At least 40% cheaper than anywhere else. Have seen same boxes on special offer in Superquinn for approx €24!

Nappies

Voucher offer on pigsback.com of €1.50 off New Comfies Premium Nappies. Need to register but well worth the bother because of many vouchers.

Don't know the price of nappies for a long time now T.G. but always feel that they just add on to take it off again!

Cost of nappies

Lidl charge €11.39 for a bag of nappies. There are 3 sizes MIDI(70) for babys MAXI(60 something) and Junior(54) for Toddlers. They are better quality than branded nappies.

we have twins aged 4 weeks and are buying industrial amounts of sma gold

boots is indeed the cheapest although musgraves cash and carry is cheaper again if you have a pass - you need to be vat registered

Congrats on the new arrivals, Terminator.

musgraves cash and carry is cheaper again if you have a pass - you need to be vat registered
Are you suggesting that one could (or should) purchase goods for personal use through a VAT-registered business?

Aldi Nappies

Stocked up on Aldi nappies today - €6.49 for a pack of 30 - using them on my daughter for well over a year and never once have had leakage problems - which surprisingly we have had with Pampers. In my local Spar [and I'm open to correction on this] I think same size pack of nappies is €11.99!!!

Lidl Nappies

Did you know that Lidl nappies are compostable and biodegradeable, unlike pampers, huggies et al.

Lidl Nappies

That's interesting - though I have to say I tried them twice on my daughter and had leakage problems - which is why I swear by Aldi. But Lidl for mineral water, vino, kiddies yoghurts, toilet roll, dishwasher tablets etc. etc!

BabyOrganix baby food

Thanks for all the usefull information.

Does any one know where I can buy Baby Organix baby food in Ireland. I bought it in Tescos for our first a few years ago but dont see it any where any more.

BabyOrganix recepies are availiable on the web it you want to make the food yourself. Its organic and contains no fillers or stodge unlike some of the mainstream brands.

Thanks,
ajapale

Organix

Tesco Nutgrove
Supervalue - Kiernans , Mount Merrion
Mortons - Ranelagh

By the way be very thankful that you dont live in Italy where brand leader, Nestle costs €36 for 1000g compared to approx €9.75 for 900g in Ireland for SMA !

Huggies M 87 of €16.49 (19c a napppy)

In Boots: Huggies are €16.49 for box of 87 nappies. This works out at 19c a nappy.
ajapale

Huggies - price increase - now 22 Euro

Have 2 children in nappies so go to Liffey Valley to buy the Huggies. Went up yesterday and imagine my surprise at the till when the boxes were 22 Euro each - now there is inflation for you !
Anyone else noticed this ?

Re: Huggies - price increase - now 22 Euro

Hi ag,
Thanks for the tip. I guess my monthly trip to Boots, Liffey Valley is cancelled!
Musgraves dont do Huggies so the alternative is a trip to Newry. Does any one know how much M 87 Huggies are in the North?
Ajapale

Nor'n Iron

I was in Sainsbury's in Lisburn yesterday and bought a load of baby stuff (nappies, wipes, formula milk, bath stiff etc). In total it cost me the equivalent of about €90. But the same basket of stuff would have cost over €130 here. Examples: Kandoo wipes £2.17 = €3.14, €4.99 here. Pampers easy fit nappies £8.99 = €13, €17+ here. Johnson's baby bath £2.17 = €3.10, €5+ here.

WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF DOWN HERE !!!...as if I needed to tell you.

I travel up North quite a lot so it is easy for me to pop in and do some shopping there. Even if I was to buy a batch of baby stuff once a month we would save at least €50, that's €600 a year. Think of what you can get for €50.

There is also a Sainsbury's in Newry (as far as I know) so you wouldn;t have to travel as far as Lisburn.

Re: Nor'n Iron

Prices vary a lot between stores and even within stores in the North. Last Saturday week, Gordon's Chemists in Enniskillen were selling Milupa Forward formula for £5 a pop. Last Saturday they were charging £7.60 for the same item. (This is pricier than almost anywhere down south) The prices in Dunnes, Boots etc also vary wildly from week to week.

I dunno why prices are more static down south. Some chemists in my neck of the woods sell nappies & formula for much cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco, yet most people don't seem to bother to shop around to find these bargains.

Back