Is it worth staying at work?

Would OPs OH even be entitled to job seekers? Based on the fact that they co-habit and are in a secure financial position according to the OP? Don't they take into account the other partners earnings?

I know when I was out of work I was fairly sure I wasn;t entitled to anything as my then partner earned too much and we were co-habiting.

A There is a significant risk (depending on the personality) of the person becoming inward-focussed, self-obsessed, and unused to the normal give-and-take compromises that are part of the daily working environment.
A generation ago Mammys stayed at home and this crapola was never bandied about because it was not dreamed up.

ok so - it was also a time when IVF was not available to the many it is now and "kept women" didn't have to go out to work if they didn't want to - do you really really think the majority of these ended up selfish blah blah people?
It is possible to stay at home/ work without being employed and be a nice grounded person. just saying.

But a "nice grounded person" wouldn't claim benefits they weren't entitled to, would they?
no they wouldn't if they had any moral compass at all but then they seem to be rare these days. I don't for one minute agree that just 'cause others are at it that its ok.

ok so - it was also a time when IVF was not available to the many it is now and "kept women" didn't have to go out to work if they didn't want to - do you really really think the majority of these ended up selfish blah blah people?
It is possible to stay at home/ work without being employed and be a nice grounded person. just saying.
I never said that the majority ended up selfish. I never said that it wasn't possible to stay at home and stay grounded. What I said was 'There is a significant risk (depending on the personality)' blah blah blah. And if the lady in question is thinking about giving up work to plan a wedding, I would suggest that the risk is significant.

I never said that the majority ended up selfish. I never said that it wasn't possible to stay at home and stay grounded. What I said was 'There is a significant risk (depending on the personality)' blah blah blah. And if the lady in question is thinking about giving up work to plan a wedding, I would suggest that the risk is significant.

This kind of analytical crap didn't exist before either. This is the kind of thinking which gives people the excuse that they seek. And so society in general provides the excuses.

Well clearly if people are considering giving up their job and living on SW, then our SW system is too generous. That said I don't see how anyone could comfortably live on €204.95 pw. Not too mention the psychological effect it would have. Personally I would much prefer to work - even for just €30 pw extra.

This kind of analytical crap didn't exist before either. This is the kind of thinking which gives people the excuse that they seek. And so society in general provides the excuses.
I see. So identifying a risk is now considered to be 'giving excuses'.

I'll just keep my head down and pretend things don't happen in future then.

i agree and disagree here... I was in a very stressful job and to be honest, it wasnt worth staying as my health was getting very bad.. So I can see her point to leave if this is the case... However, I think the best thing would be for her to look for another job and then when she gets one, take say 4 weeks off between new jobs. 4 weeks shoul dbe enough time off, or get her to work part time. 200 a week isnt much... it wont last long

Back