This website is getting very quiet

RMCF

A lot of the forums/subforums on here can have no entries for days on end, when they used to be quite busy.

Even LOS is slowing down dramatically wrt new threads/replies.

Is the recession killing AAM?

LOS is quiet because Ireland is perfect and we have nothing to complain about :)

Maybe we are all to busy clearing out "deals of the day" crap from our inbox or entering the competition to win a week in Sydney or maybe just tired of answering the same old questions for people who are too lazy to Google the answers themselves.

maybe just tired of answering the same old questions for people who are too lazy to Google the answers themselves.

Or maybe people are googling the answers and finding them on here so they don't need to ask! I have found answers to things for myself and others on here via the search function, so no need to start a new thread (though I agree there are some people who ask common questions seemingly without even searching)

There's no more money left to ask about! Maybe we should change the URL to "askaboutdebt.com" or "askabouttheIMF.com"?

I don't think AAM is a forum for regular discussions and tittle tattle - there are some allowances for such in the Depths, but even there it is heavily moderated with discussions locked if they go on too long or ramble too much. I realised that a long time ago and usually only contribute here if I have something useful to say.

AAM is a resource for financial help, with bolted on extra's for other kinds of assistance (home, DIY etc etc). As time goes on its obvious that most questions are going to have been answered at some point, with few updates except with regard to budget or tax changes. People who spend their time answering questions will over time become less inclined to respond to the same thing except to tell people to use the search button.

I agree that AAM has a very different atmosphere to any other forum I have used, but thats because it has a different remit and isn't a social network and shouldn't be mistaken for such. Once you digest that you will realise that its a wonderful resource, but its best to stay out of discussions unless you really have something useful to add.

All forums have rules. Before signing up you have to tick a box saying you read the forum rules. The same with any forum really.
The trouble is 99.99% of forums dont implement there own rules and this one sticks to the rules religiously. As a member of a multiple of forums I found it hard when I first joined this site and got lots of warnings. Thats fair enough, and I now post while obeying the rules. If that is the ethos of this forum then so be it and if I am to continue posting I have to comply.

But I agree that there is a condecending attitude from some posters and some new posters may not see beyond that and go elsewhere.

In my early days I had one of these posters report me to the mods for some minor infraction and I got a warning. Reminded me of when I was 7 in school and another classmate reported me to the teacher for talking.

I would imagaine that a lot of people also posted when they had minute in work. Now because of unemployment/busier working days/holiday season, there are less people able to contribute.

I think we are all in a kind of spiritual trance due to the difficulties... I'm more into walking in forests in this period... :D

I have to say, I find AAM posters in general much more polite and reasoned than those on other forums (ditigal spy, Politics.ie for instance). The moderation is much better here.

+1 on Politics.ie; I tried reading some topics I was genuinely interested in but after reading the content of the threads, I didn't bother. 60% of the posts are members trading childish personal insults.

Its the holiday/silly season, it always goes quiet. Not arguing that in general it has been quieter but taking, say, the last 3 weeks and the next 4 will give you a mis-representative impression.

In my early days I had one of these posters report me to the mods for some minor infraction and I got a warning. Reminded me of when I was 7 in school and another classmate reported me to the teacher for talking.

So there's a pattern of your issues with rules :D ?

I've been on AAM for a few years and a thread like this pops up, IIRC, each year. It's like the reduced traffic on the roads and the availability of seats of the DART in the morning.

It reminds me a story I heard last week, first hand (the guy was there himself), that a tax case was up, was the 3rd and final on that day, the first involved a guy who beat his girlfriend such that she lost her baby, the 2nd was a paedophile case, but the judge saved his ire for the tax case where he went to town on the errant taxpayer.

Only the 3rd case is putting pressure on judges to reduce their salary :rolleyes:

Hi Staples

It is always quiet from May.

I am not sure what is meant by twee in relation to Aam? What is twee tolerant?

It sounds awful.

I kinda hope I don't fit into that particular category.

Marion

So someone can ask 'Can I get away with this tax evasion' and no-one is allowed to express their feelings at such an attitude?

Except that's not what he said, I presume most people just go to askaboutfraud.com for such queries.

Back