Zune vs Ipod

Sn@kebite

Hi,

I need a new player and was told to get a zune. I was originally thinking of an iPod nano but Seeing as zune seem to be more or less the same price range I wanted your opinion on zunes. Am I more free to just drag n' drop vids onto it and create playlists or do i need to install a program like itunes, in order to manage music and save playlists. iTunes does seem to have restrictions on it.

Thanks!

While I don't know anything about the Zune (other than hearing of poor build quality in the past) I do own an iPod (having owned other brands before) and love it. IMHO there's a reason why the iPod is the overwhelming market leader in the MP3 segment.

As far as I know Zunes are only available in the US.

iTunes have just increased their prices by 30% for new releases but at the same time removed restrictions. The reasons iPods are so popular is because they are nicely designed, easy to operate and cleverly marketed.

You can't go very wrong whatever you choose. Decide how much you want to spend and stick to it.

I have a Creative Zen and find it brilliant, including the radio, which if i'm not mistaken is sadly missing on an IPod (or at least used to be missing).

The zune has subjectively better sound quality than the classic iPods. The iPod Touch is probably the same if not better sound quality than the Zune. Though I'd reckon 95% of poeple wouldn't hear the difference. You'd have no support if you had a problem with your Zune, so I'm not sure if its worth that effort when theres as good players like Cowon and Sony available over here.

i have a 120 gb zune (got it in america) and my brother got a 32 gb itouch at the same time. He is alot happier with the itouch than I am with the zune. He can get email on the itouch and can also get all the apps. I went with the zune because it has a radio and it has alot of extra storage.
One major disadvantage is that you cannot get any accessories for the zune. I would like speakers and they cant be bought in shops. I will probably get speakers in america the next time I am there but thats not ideal.

I havent downloaded music from the zune marketplace but I am sure thats fine once you register...you will have to use a proxy from the internet as its only available to US ip addresses at the moment. It can be done not sure how.

Overall you get a lot more storage with the zune but depending on what you want from it...it might be more difficult to operate than the ipod due to the fact that extras for the ipod are so accessible

the battery life of the zune isnt great but I cant compare it to the ipod as I have never had one

Regarding storage you should really compare the iPod classic 120gb with zune. The iPod touch is kind of a different device.

IMHO there's a reason why the iPod is the overwhelming market leader in the MP3 segment.
Yeah there is....marketing ! Apple got it spot on with the design and feel of the iPod and now everything is 'iPod compatible'.

Cowon make apparently one of the best sounding kits out there. I got the missus a Cowon and compared to my Archos or her old Creative Zen, the Cowon (iAudio) sound quality and depth of sound kicks a$$.

Check out www.anythingbutipod.com for sane reviews from non-iPod-fanboys...

I have a Creative Zen and find it brilliant, including the radio, which if i'm not mistaken is sadly missing on an IPod (or at least used to be missing).

Had an iPod. Loved it. Broke down after year and half. Got a Zen.

Simply cannot function now without it. The radio on it is great for the commute.

Yeah thanks peeps, I'm going to go with a Zen x-fi 8GB, I know I don't get the bluetooth function (or whatever it's called) with the 8GB version but I prolly wud have no use for it anyway.

I hear the audio on the x-fi is better than the new ipod nano? Good stuff there so.

Cheers.

I have seen [broken link removed] recommended for Zune. They deliver to Ireland. It is also rumoured that they may finally release the product in Europe in the Autumn...

They also sell accessories for the Zune that another poster was bemoaning the lack of.

I wouldn't go for a Creative. Cowon, or Sony would be my choice.

I have a Sony A818 I think its great. I also have an iPod Touch which is fun, for getting your email and looking things on the web lots of extra apps to download etc. Music sounds good, but I miss buttons tbh. By all accounts the Zune sounds great too, but some quibbles with the software.

Good link for the Zune stuff. Ta.

Heres two I'd like to try.
http://www.sony.ie/product/nws-s-series/nwzs639fr.ce7
http://www.sony.ie/product/nws-x-series/nwz-x1060

Heres a great site for finding out about Audio stuff. [broken link removed]

I vote for iPod if you are considering it outside of US.

Back