Youtube - I'm not getting any sound when I play a clip.

Eithneangela

I have a problem with Youtube - I'm not getting any sound when I play a clip. I've checked that my speakers on the laptop are on (the sound works for everything else) and I've checked the sound icon on the Youtube clip. Anybody got any ideas what I can try next?

Have you tried a different browser on the same laptop?

Is this all the time, as in, if you reboot is it ok, or is it intermittant?

There is a speaker icon on the bottom left of the window that is showing the movie clip - If you click it, it will mute / unmute, also there is a slider to increase and decrease the volume - Check these.

Thank you all. I have already tried all of the listed solutions, including Google's one. Still no sound on youtube clips. Would my anti-virus (AVG) have anything to do with it?

Windows XP has individual volume settings for different systems.
I'm not familiar with Vista or W7 but I'd say it will be fairly similar.

In XP, follow

Start -
Control Panel -
Sounds and Audio Devices -
Audio-
Sound playback - Volume -

and you should see three or four controls plus the master volume.
Youtube plays using the 'Wave' control.

No, not getting sound on Sky News Videos either. Getting normal sound on Skype, RTE Radio, Games etc. It seems to be just videos that are not working for me.

I'd like to try changing the browser but I'm a bit scared of moving outside the comfort of the Microsoft zone. Which browser would be recommended in this case, please?

You don't have to change browser - just try one (Firefox or Chrome would be good candidates in my view) even temporarily and see if the problem exists there. If not then the problem may be with your Internet Explorer or Adobe Flash installation. As ever diagnosing a problem so that you can fix it is a process of elimination.

Another possibility is going into your Control Panel Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called on your Windows version/configuration), uninstall Flash, and then download and reinstall it anew just in case that helps. If you are not 100% sure what you are doing then get help from somebody who does.

Back