Your thoughts on extraterrestrial life...

cole

According to the BBC, there are billions of earth like planets just in our galaxy. According to NASA there could be 500 billion galaxies. Statistically then the chances of life on other planets must be huge. It would be inconceivable if life didn't exist elsewhere. Which leads us to the next question? Where do we fit in in all of this? What if we are the most advanced life form in the universe.:eek:

According to the BBC, there are billions of earth like planets just in our galaxy. According to NASA there could be 500 billion galaxies.
You believe all that nonsense? There are only a few hundred stars painted on the sky, and only 5 or 6 planets. Our best hope, Mars, is barren.
Maybe the chances of life happening are hundreds of billions to one. (Incidentally, the odds of life on another planet are either 1 or 0)

Last edited by a moderator:
You were also wondering where we all fit into the whole scheme of things. Well the secret to life, the Universe, and everything is [deleted by Clubman]

-------------------------------------------------------------
; Today at 08:05 PM. Reason: Breached posting guidelines. Disclosing the secret of life, the Universe and everything is banned on AAM

Visualising the size of the universe is almost impossible. Think of our planet as a grain of sand in a galaxy the size of the earth and then think of our galaxy as a grain of sand in the universe and you are still nowhere near the scale.
So that’s the distance plane... don’t forget the time plane.

A good description of the time span of galaxies is to imagine a rock one hundred miles high and one hundred miles across. Once every thousand years a small bird lands on the rock and sharpens its beak. When the rock is warn away by the bird one day has passed in the life of a galaxy.

So that’s the time plane. Not only do we have to be close to extraterrestrial life in the distance plane, we also have to be close in the time plane since the planet, star system or even galaxy that they lived on could have disappeared trillions of years ago.

According to the BBC, there are billions of earth like planets just in our galaxy. According to NASA there could be 500 billion galaxies. Statistically then the chances of life on other planets must be huge. It would be inconceivable if life didn't exist elsewhere. Which leads us to the next question? Where do we fit in in all of this? What if we are the most advanced life form in the universe.:eek:

Hi Robbie,

I loved Rock Dj and your stuff with Take That,

When will there be a new release from you ????
;)

I think if would be arrogant of us to belive there is not life outside our galaxy. It may be life byond our understanding I.E it may not have any of the seven earth charateristics of life.

Not sure if I belive in alien UFO . they are more probably top secret military aircraft/weapons. It suits goverments to have an excuse when they are spotted.

Disclosing the secret of life, the Universe and everything is banned on AAM

Ah clubman, you are such a spoilsport....nowI have to go & find all that stuff out for myself! Ah well, I don't have much on this weekend, should keep me busy for a few hours.

Thats great, Purple....you've saved me a load of time pondering this for at least 2 hours over the weekend.

Now I can use that valuable time pondering the woder of navel fluff:D

Thats great, Purple....you've saved me a load of time pondering this for at least 2 hours over the weekend.

Now I can use that valuable time pondering the woder of navel fluff:D

[broken link removed]

I think it is stastically next to impossible that we would be the only intelligent life in the galaxy.

But I also think it is a mistake to assume that this 'life' will necessarily require the same conditions as human or animal life on earth.

I know what you mean but if it takes a probe approx. 9 years to reach Pluto, well I dunno, very new, different frontiers could be reached in 30 or so years I would have thought?

I suppose is depends on what do you mean by close. The nearest star (other than the sun) is 4 light years away.

Then again, if there's the odd worm hole around it shouldn't make much difference assuming we can find the technology.

Purple: I thought your descriptions of the vastness of space and time very good. I never really thought about life exisiting and then vanishing over billions of years...I always thought that once life exisited then some life would always exist no matter how simple.

I think if would be arrogant of us to belive there is not life outside our galaxy. It may be life byond our understanding I.E it may not have any of the seven earth charateristics of life.

Not sure if I belive in alien UFO . they are more probably top secret military aircraft/weapons. It suits goverments to have an excuse when they are spotted.

Agree with this. I find it hard to believe that the nutcases who stalk Roswell see no connection between the US governments experiments with odd shaped aircraft such as saucer shaped flying wings in a nearest airbase to Roswell during the 50s-70s and sightings of saucer shaped "spacecraft" in the sky! Even the prototype of the stealth bomber that flew in the early 1970s would have looked like an alien spacecraft if you'd never seen one before.

Purple: I thought your descriptions of the vastness of space and time very good. I never really thought about life exisiting and then vanishing over billions of years...I always thought that once life exisited then some life would always exist no matter how simple.

Thanks cole, think in terms of trillions rather than billions or if the distance axis on the graph is a billion miles long and we are a microbe moving at the relative speed of a slug then the time axis is much longer (maybe a few million times longer). Now there may be other microbes in one of the quadrants of that graph but we have to meet them in space and time... that’s the hard part.

Back